Exit is a 2013 game show on the Syfy, based on the Japanese Game Show Dero!, in which four teams battle it out for the chance to win $10,000. The catch? They have to escape rooms fill with death traps (not real obviously) by answering trivia to proceed to the next room. Naturally, the show goes by elimination with the winners proceeding onward while the losers are eliminated... literally.Not to be confused with the PSP game of the same name.
Game Show Tropes used:
- All or Nothing: Only the final team has a chance to win the money. Yes, it's a chance only - if you don't succeed, you don't get anything.
- Eject the Loser: Into oblivion!!!
- Eliminated From The Race: Pretty much by design.
- Game Show Host: Curt Doussett
Reality Show Tropes used:
Exit provides examples of the following tropes:
- Deadly Game: Portrayed as such — and much more seriously than in DERO!
- Death Trap: Which include...
- Deadly Disc: Involved "The Shredder", a saw blade machine that stalked contestants down a crawl space as they spelled words to answer questions and inch closer to the exit.
- Descending Ceiling: One of the final room which has three sets of puzzles. Only with the ceiling slowly closing on the the contestants.
- Drowning Pit: The second of the final rooms which quickly fills with water and likewise involves three sets of puzzles to escape from. Needless to say, some swimming is involved.
- Locked in a Freezer: Somewhat, the second room of several episodes involved trying to deactivate a "freeze blaster". Contestants have to match certain words to another to recieve the code for the pliers to deactive the "bomb". Wrong answers not only hold you up, but spray freezing mist into the room as well.
- Quicksand Sucks: A room that takes place in quicksand where wrong answers sinks you faster.
- Walk the Plank: The first challenge, Contestants stand on a receding plank and have to quickly answer a picture question to halt it. Quickness is key here as stalling decreases what little standing room you have till you eventually drop into the Bottomless Pit.
- The Walls Are Closing In: The contestants are stuck into a wall with only their head and hand free and separated from their partner who's on the opposite side of the room. They're given questions which both must answer correctly. After five right answers, one of the players is freed and has to remove a key from a box to open the door to the room and race down a hallway as the walls close in on them before they're "squashed". If they succeed in reaching the end of the hall, The partner is then released and likewise has to repeat the box puzzle and race to evade the walls to win the game.
- Malevolent Architecture: Might as well be called Malevolent Architecture: The Game Show.
- Spiritual Successor: To Estate of Panic which has a similar concept sans the trivia.
- Timed Mission: In the final round, the team is given 10 minutes to complete the game. Other rooms may include timed segments. For instance, the Plank Room draws the plank back into the wall at an inch a second, and the quicksand room puts a 5-second shot clock on the teams to take each guess at the puzzle.
- Win to Exit: Pretty much the main premise of the show.