Series / Excused
A rejection-based dating Reality Show
show hosted by comedienne Iliza Shlesinger. The show basically consists of two guys or girls sifting through several members of the opposite gender, "excusing" them as the show progresses. The exact format is:
- Phase one - a parade of men or women are brought to the front door of the set, and make a one line pitch to the peephole camera. The two contestants accept four, and excuse the others.
- Phase two - the contestants view short videos of the four people they've accepted, and excuse two.
- Phase three - the contestants take turns going on dates with the two accepted men/women, but then agree to excuse one.
- Phase four - the contestants take turns going on one-on-one dates with the remaining person, who is then given the power to excuse one of them.
- Phase five - the surviving contestant can either accept or excuse their match.
This show provides examples of:
- Dwindling Party
- Manipulative Editing: The show's editing is incredibly tight and incredibly leading. Viewers rarely see much of anything unless it provides evidence towards towards a coming conclusion. The video profiles we see of the excused candidates, for instance, will rarely show anything other than the one flaw they end up being excused for.
- Not Good with Rejection: Many of the excused
- One-Liner: constantly from Iliza
- Product Placement: Much of the show is openly structured around promoting the "Jazzed" e-dating site. Rejected contestants are encouraged to create profiles on the site, and many that have are profiled before commercial breaks. The video profiles in "phase two" are likewise called "Jazzed personality profiles." Other forms of product placement abound, particularly in the form of Black Star Beer, which everyone is always drinking.
- Reality TV Show Mansion: "This Hollywood home..."
- The Snark Knight: Iliza
- There Can Be Only One
- Twist Ending: Many contestants feign shock when the table-turning twist of phase four or five is revealed.