is a french Fantasy Literature
series written by now-deceased Pierre Bottero. The series actually consist in two Trilogies, Ewilan's Quest
and Ewilan's Worlds
, and started out in 2003.
The story involves a thirteen years old, unhappily adopted girl named Camille Duciel who suddenly discovers she possess the abilitie to create things out of her mind
and teleport to a Fantasy-like Alternate Universe
, to the Empire of Gwendalavir. After several incidents involving an attack of strange creatures in her house, she is forced to move for a prolongated time to this world with her Black Best Friend
Salim Condo, and meet with a man named Edwin Till'Illan. She eventually learns she is actually originated from Gwendalavir and that her real name is Ewilan Gil'Sayan. In Gwendalavir, her abilities, known as "Drawing
", is an equivalent of magic and has been used commonly by the Empire as a way to defend themselves against the Ts'lichs, reptilian-insectoid like creatures who once ruled humans and are attempting to take over them again, but have been stopped by a group of powerful drawers known as the Sentinels (which Ewilan's parents were part of). Recently however, following the betrayal of one of the Sentinel, Elea Ril'Morienval
, the Ts'lichs have been able to trapt the Sentinels in a petrified state and put a psychic lock that prevent most humans from using Drawing. Due to her unusual Drawing skills, however, Ewilan is able to ignore the lock, which make her the only one able to free the Sentinel and possibly save Gwendalavir.Tropes applying to this series:
- Abuse Is Okay When It's Female on Male: Ellana and Siam both invoke this trope in-universe, arguing women has to be rude and nasty to show they are not weak. Ewilan is initially shocked by this way of thinking, only to later go with it and punch Salim in the face for being overprotective.
- Action Girl: Ellana and Siam. Ewilan becomes one as the series goes on.
- Arch-Enemy: Elea Ril'Morienval quickly become this to Ewilan.
- Bad Ass: Edwin. When the book starts, the guy is known to have fought and killed a Ts'lich twice, and survived both time. And he continues doing so as the story goes.
- Big Bad: the Ts'lichs assume this role at the beginning of the trilogy. They are later replaced by Elea Ril'Morienval in the third book
- Big Bad Duum Virate: the first book of Ewilan's Worlds features Elea Ril'Morienval teaming up again with the Ts'liches, though she seems to be the one in control this time.
- Big Bad Ensemble: and the last two books has Elea Ril'Morienval, Ahmour and King Kater Al all trying to manipulate each others for their own benefit.
- Black and White Morality
- Black Best Friend: Salim to Ewilan.
- Blood Knight: Siam. She might be a good guy, but she sure enjoys fight a lot. Elea Ril'Morienval even lampshade it by saying she would end up married to her sword.
- Boisterous Bruiser: Bjorn, big time.
- Break the Cutie: Elea inflict this to Ewilan in the first book of Ewilan's Worlds
- Darker and Edgier: the first book of Ewilan's World is much darker than the others.
- Deadpan Snarker: this is common amongst almost all characters, but Ellana and Salim are the best at it.
- The Determinator: Elea Ril'Morienval never gives up her goal or desires of revenge. You'd expect being betrayed by the Ts'liches whould have teach her some humility. Obviously not.
- Disney Death: Bjorn in the last book of Ewilan's Worlds. Debatably, Bjorn Maniel and Chiam in the last book of Ewilan's Quest.
- Disney Villain Death: Elea Ril'Morienval, courtesy of Illian.
- Dying Race: the Ts'lichs; when the story start, it's assumed there remain at best twelve of them. And the last of them are exterminated at the beginning of Ewilan's Worlds
- Eldritch Abomination: Ahmour
- Possibly the Dragon and his Lady too, though more benevolent ones.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: guess what happens to Ahmour's priests when they finally summon part of their master in the real world ?
- Fallen Hero: Elea Ril'Morienval.
- Freudian Excuse: Elea affirm she hates Ewilan's family because Altan used to be in a relationship with her, but abandoned her twice, eventually leading to the death of her baby. Altan, however, insists that she was already evil and ambitious back then, making it quite unclear.
- Grumpy Old Man: Master Duom.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Maniel eventually accomplishes this to defeat Ahmour. So does Ellundril Chariakin... apparently.
- Ironic Name: no name could be as ironic as Ahmour ("Amour" being the french word for "Love") for an Eldritch Abomination with Omnicidal Maniac tendencies.
- The Load: Master Duom is this, to his dismay, when it comes to fight; indeed, for most of both trilogies, his Drawing is blocked, and his use is limited to his knowledge, which becomes obsolete in the second trilogy, where they visit a country he doesn't know. It furstrates him so much that, as soon as he gets his drawing back at the end of Ewilan's Worlds, he uses them to get a Crowning Moment of Awesome (doubled as a Crowning Moment of Funny) in order to conpensate his uselessness.
- Love Triangle: subverted with Edwin, Ellana and Siam, as it quickly turns out Siam actually is Edwin's sister, much to Ellana's relievement.
- played straight on the other hand with Salim, Ewilan and Liven.
- Invoked as a joke with Siam, Matthieu and Siam's sword.
- Magic by Any Other Name: Drawing might not exactly work like Magic, but it could as well be the same, considering it's used exactly the same way.
- Manipulative Bitch: Elea Ril'Morienval. Big time.
- Official Couples: Edwin and Ellana. It remains an Unresolved Sexual Tension for most of the books, but there are so many hints you know right from the beginning how it will end.
- Predictably, Ewilan and Salim.
- Mathieu and Siam.
- Our Elves Are Different: the Faels could basically be described as a mix of Elves and Native Americans.
- Our Orcs Are Different: the Rais.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Salim gains the abilitie to turn into a giant wolf starting with Book 2 approximatively.
- He is heavily hinted to be a descendant of the "Shapeshiftings", one of the seven clans introduce in another work of Bottero.
- Pig Men: the Rais are a whole people made of those. They are even referred as the "Pig People".
- Reason You Suck Speech: Elea Ril'Morienval delivers a powerful one to the protagonists at the end of Ewilan's Worlds before her death.
- Reptiles Are Abhorrent: The Ts'lichs are described as twisted hybrids of "Lizards and Praying Mantis". And their whole species is pretty much Always Chaotic Evil.
- Shaggy Dog Story: Ewilan's quest to bring Illian back to his native city of Valingaï. Turns out Valingaï is a whole city of corrupted assholes who end up having their town destroyed in the end, while Illian suddenly loses all interest in staying and goes back to Gwendalavir with Ewilan.
- You Haven't Seen the Last of X: Elea delivers something of that kind right before getting inflicted a Disney Villain Death by Illian.