is an [adult swim]
program that parodies aspects of Walker, Texas Ranger
, produced by Conan O'Brien
's production company, Conaco.David Letterman
favorite Chris Elliott plays Chris Monsanto, arguably the best and most reckless Ranger in the service. He's backed up by Brett Mobley (Brett Gelman) and Susie Wagner, (Maria Thayer, best known as Jerri's friend on Strangers with Candy
), all under the supervision of Da Chief
(Michael Gladis of Mad Men
). Chris faces off against drug dealers, dirigible captains, pumas, bank robbers, and more, all with a peculiar kind of lazy violence.
This show provides examples of:
- Badass: Chris Monsanto
- Clueless Deputy: Brett, to the point where he's used as a club instead of as a deputy.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Many battle end this way due to Chris's killer punch ability and willingness to fight dirty.
- Dead Partner: Played with in the pilot.
- Den of Iniquity: A bizarre bylaw makes it legal to do anything in the sky. Everything goes, up to and including murder. Naturally, a crime baron sets up a blimp as his base of operations where every type of crime is indulged and encouraged (except smoking, because of the hydrogen)
- Fiery Redhead: Susie.
- Finger Poke of Doom: Chris's super-punch turns enemies into goo.
- Gainax Ending: The last few seconds of "Me Llamo Justice". Considering that the episode involved people made entirely of cocaine, this says a lot.
- Humanoid Abomination: The Scatman appears to have qualities of this.
- Only Sane Woman: Susie, though she has a tendency to fall for obviously evil men.
- Refuge in Audacity: All over the place.
- The Danza: Chris Elliott as Chris Monsanto, and Brett Gelman as Brett Mobley.
- Thrown from the Zeppelin: The conclusion of "Master of Da'Skies."
- Vice City: A loophole in the law allows criminals to act with impunity... as long as they're in the sky.
- ... leading the episode's crime baron to set up a Den of Iniquity as a giant crime blimp where everything goes and sky-crime is encouraged. Except Smoking.
- U.S. Marshal
- Younger Than He Looks: Subverted with the Chief; Gladis' makeup is too ridiculous for anyone to believe he's actually old.