Series: Don't Tell My Mother
I realized this place is not Disneyland
Diego Bu˝uel, on Afghanistan.Documentary miniseries produced by National Geographic Channel and Canal+, directed and hosted by Diego Bu˝uel (Grandson of renowned film director Luis Bu˝uel), in which he poses as a Genre Savvy Funny Foreigner and ventures into countries which have bad reputations for being dangerous places in a light-hearted way. For every time he visits a country, he goes forth and debunks many of the myths and misconceptions from the country he visits, while hanging Lampshades all over the place in regard of the situation.So far, he has gone to:
- North Korea
- Palestine and the Gaza Strip
- The Balkans
Tropes present in this show:
- Axes at School: Lampshaded in the Pakistan episode. The Madrasah staff in that episode (jokingly) commented about getting e-mails about hiding AK-47's inside the building.
- Bizarre and Improbable Golf Game: Mentioned in Afghanistan, while playing golf on a run-down golf course with a local TV celebrity.
- Crapsack Country: Except for some relevant places and cities, every place featured here is this.
- Funny Foreigner: Diego plays with this trope at times.
- Germans Love David Hasselhoff: Happens in-universe during his trip to the Balkans, where a local sculptor shows Diego a sculpture of Bruce Lee, stating that it's a hero to every person in the city, regardless of ethnicity.
- Intrepid Reporter: Diego fits this trope perfectly. Granted, before this show he was a war correspondant in Afghanistan and Iraq...
- Travelogue Show