Series / Deception
To uncover the truth, she'll become a lie.
(formerly known as Infamous
) is an NBC drama series that started on January 7, 2013. It ran for one season.
The story follows Det. Joanna Locasto, who goes undercover in the family of her recently deceased best friend in order to find out who killed her.
Of course, that isn't all that she'll find...
Tropes seen in Deception include:
- Batman Gambit: Robert. He hired Det. Gabe to make sure Audrey dies during a sting operation. When Gabe asks him how did he know he wouldn't be arrested for soliciting a murder for hire, Robert says it was an even money bet, and either Gabe agreed with his sense of justice...or not.
- Black Mail: murder and statutory rape cover ups. For starters
- Deadpan Snarker: Edward.
- Edward gets the lionshare of snark, but all of the characters are well-versed in sarcasm
- Must Make Amends: Edward tries to apologize to his father for destroying his reputation and nearly destroying Bowers. Robert rejects his apology and gives Edward the golf club that he had supposedly used in Kimberly Yaeger's murder.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: The Litrol is actually a working drug. The reports of deaths due to it were fabricated by rivals. Nice going Edward.
- Non-Idle Rich: Most of the Bowers are actually very involved in the family company.
- Sexy Shirt Switch: Joanna is wearing nothing but Will's shirt in the first episode, before they have sex.
- They Know Too Much: The apparent reason for Vivian's murder and definitely the reason for Rene's.
- Token Minority: Subverted. Joanna is the only black character, but she's also the main character.
- Too Dumb to Live: Nicole, the fired tabloid reporter. She blows Joanna's cover (in front of Russian mafia no less) and gets Joanna and herself involved in a shootout. When the Feds threaten her with deportation (she's Canadian), she actually hears they want her help on the case. Later, after becoming suspicious of Audrey, she barges into Audrey's apartment and almost gets killed again.