Series / Boomtown
is a crime drama that aired on NBC
for one 18 episode season and a second 6 episode season. Lasted from September, 2002 to December, 2003. It follows a crime from the point of view of the 7 main cast members and anyone else whose POV is important to the episode. This series provides gripping drama, three dimensional leads, some pretty good mystery plots, and all it asks in return is that you pay attention. Which is probably why it only persisted in its original form for the first season.
After the critically acclaimed first season, the show was hit with massive Executive Meddling
, one of the original seven, was written out of the show despite David McNoriss'
arc being closely tied to her
. Massive Character Derailment
was given to each surviving member of the cast. But the final nail is that in this season it lost the "Rashomon"-Style
format that the show was famous for. The seven original main cast members:
- Tom: A second generation cop who has his retired dad bugging him all the time. He arguably has the least screen time and development.
- Ray: A beat cop accused of stealing money from his old assignment in Vista Heights. Emphatically claims to be innocent.
- Fearless: Ex military homicide detective with a list of 100 things to do before he dies. Also the writer's favourite character. He gets more screen time and development than anyone else, possibly due to being a holdout character from a pilot script for what would eventually be turned into Boomtown.
- Joel: Dealing with the loss of his newborn daughter and his wife's subsequent suicide attempt.
- Theresa: Became a paramedic after her mother died. Mostly defined as a possible love interest for Joel. Quits being a paramedic to join the police academy at the beginning of the second season.
- David McNorris: A cutthroat district attorney who's cheating on his wife with Andrea and has a drinking problem.
- Andrea: A reporter and daughter of an orange mogul whose character is mostly defined by her relationship to David McNorris.
This show provides examples of:
Episodes of this series provide examples of: