created by Merrill Heatter
of The Hollywood Squares
fame, and hosted by Alex Trebek
lasted for six months on NBC
from 1981-82, then Uncanceled
in 1983 for a few more months.Battlestars
bore a striking resemblance to the Squares
, except that it featured only six celebrities who sat in triangles. Each celebrity was surrounded by three numbers. A randomizer selected one of the numbers, which corresponded to whichever celebrity would be asked the question. Also unlike Squares
, the questions offered two possible answers. If the same player "captured" all three numbers surrounding a star, s/he then had to "capture" two more in a similar fashion to win $500 and the game.
- Bonus Round: Two.
- The original series used "Battlestars Two", which obscured a famous person's face under 16 blocks. Three blocks were chosen to reveal the face, and the contestant could then choose up to three more blocks to remove. Getting it with four blocks removed won $5,000, and each block afterward lowered the jackpot.
- The revival used the three celebrities the winner captured. Each was asked a multiple-choice question with three answers given, and the contestant could choose to agree or disagree with each. $500 was awarded for each right answer, and a Progressive Jackpot if all were correct.
- Golden Snitch: One player could light up numerous lights in a row, then lose due to missing a question and having the opponent light up the critical light.
This show provides examples of:
- Color-Coded Multiplayer: The panelists' backdrops turned either red or blue according to which contestant captured them. The champion was blue and the challenger was red, the reverse of what's usually seen on game shows.
- Opening Narration:
- 1981-82: [Names of the six celebrities]. Those are the Battlestars! And here's the man in command, Alex Trebek!
- 1983: [Names of the six celebrities] All on The New Battlestars! And here's the man in command, Alex Trebek!
- Panel Game
- Progressive Jackpot: For the 1983 bonus round. Prize packages typically began with $5,000 cash plus prizes totaling around $2,000-$3,000, increasing until won.
- Recycled IN SPACE!: It's literally The Hollywood Squares IN SPACE!