There is an option now on your profile page
to use "compact" folders. This works pretty well for phone users and others who like less scrolling.
Bassie & Adriaan
Hugely popular Dutch children's duo who have been active since 1978. "Bassie" (played by Bas van Toor) is a naïve, but jolly clown who always cracks jokes. "Adriaan" (played by Aad van Toor) is the more intelligent, serious but nevertheless also happy-go-lucky acrobat.
In real life the actors are brothers who for more than 20 years had great succes as an acrobat duo named “De Crocksons”. Near the end of the 1970s they started making TV series for children. First with help of Dutch tv producer Joop van den Ende, but later (after their cooperation with Van Den Ende ended because of an argument) they started producing and directing the series themselves. Most series feature treasure hunting or other traveling adventures which took them to exotic locations. They are often spied and shadowed by a group of stupid crooks. Several villains made their appearance over the course of the series, the most famous ones being a crime lord named “De Baron” and his henchmen "Vlugge Japie" and “B2”.
The franchise was a huge Cash Cow Franchise
in both the Netherlands as Belgium and also sold to other countries like France and China. Besides the tv-series, several music records, comic strips, radio drama's, short series, theater shows, etc. were made and since the actors kept all the marketing and merchandising rights they became rich. Since 1994 no new shows with both characters have been made, but due to frequent repeats, media appearances and parodies Bassie and Adriaan remain popular and famous. Also, Bas van Toor went solo afterwards and released two series of his own.
The series (and the translated titels):
- De Plaaggeest (The Bully or The Teaser): When Bassie fails to set the alarm clock, he and Adriaan oversleep and miss the departure of the circus to the next town. Since neither of them knows where the circus is now, they are forced to find a new job. They are however followed by a costumed villain named “De Plaaggeest”, who loves to play nasty pranks on everyone and keeps sabotaging all the duo’s attempts to find work.
- Het Geheim van de Sleutel (The Secret of the Key): two crooks named B1 and B2 rob a bank and hide the loot in a train station locker. When they mistake Bassie for the man who would be send by their boss to retrieve the key of the locker, they give the key to him. Realizing their mistake, they follow Bassie and Adriaan when the two depart for their holiday in Spain in an attempt to get the key back, eventually going so far as to kidnap Bassie.
- De Diamant (The Diamond): B1, B2 and their boss escape from jail and seek revenge on Bassie and Adriaan. Disguised as Bassie and Adriaan, B1 and B2 steal a valuable diamond. Naturally, Bassie and Adriaan are blamed for the theft and now have to find the real culprits to clear their name.
- De Huilende Professor (The Crying Professor): a strange phenomenon hits the Netherlands; people suddenly don’t feel like laughing anymore and only feel sad. When Bassie and Adriaan investigate the matter, they discover a mad scientist named Archibald Chagrijn is behind this. From his hideout on the Canary Islands he plans to use his invention, griengas (cry gas), to eventually make the whole world stop laughing. The two try to stop the professor ,who takes a personal interest in Bassie when it is revealed that Bassie is somehow immune to the effects of his gas.
- Het Geheim van de Schatkaart (The Secret of the Treasure Map): when shopping on a flea market, Bassie buys an old painting behind which he and Adriaan find a piece of parchment. The parchment contains a riddle that, when solved, will reveal the location of a treasure. Bassie and Adriaan of course attempt to solve the riddle. Meanwhile, their old enemy B2 escapes from jail and joins up with the crook Vlugge Japie and his boss Baron van Neemweggen, simply known as “De Baron”, to find the treasure as well.
- De Verdwenen Kroon (The Missing Crown): after escaping from jail, de baron, Vlugge Japie and B2 steal a valuable crown and demand 1 million guilders (the Dutch currency before the Euro) as ransom. In reality however, this is all part of a plan to get revenge on Bassie and Adriaan.
- De Verzonken Stad (The Sunken City): Bassie and Adriaan go on a holiday to Greece. During a diving trip, Bassie finds a round stone tablet with strange signs on it. Curious, they send a photo of the stone to their robot Robin (who is staying with a friend in Belgium) to translate the signs. As the signs are slowly being translated, it becomes clear the stone might be the key to some sort of treasure. But like always, de Baron, Vlugge Japie and B2 are after this treasure as well.
- De Geheimzinnige Opdracht (The Mysterious Assignment): Bassie and Adriaan suddenly keep getting letters from an anonymous sender. He asks them to visit the (at that time) 12 countries of the European Union, and in each country they have to find a package for him by solving a riddle. Meanwhile, De Baron is released from jail and hires two new crooks, B100 and Handige Harry, to help him get revenge on Bassie and Adriaan.
- De Reis Vol Verrassingen (The Journey full Of Surprises): The Baron, inspired by the mysterious assignments Bassie and Adriaan received in the previous series, sends the two a new assignment in an attempt to lure them to the island Curacao and into a trap. Naturally, he fails. Back in the Netherlands, Bassie participates in a quiz show and wins a trip for two to America. The rest of the series follows Bassie and Adriaan as they visit several places in the US, while being followed by the three crooks.
Provides the examples of: