Series / Baby Songs
is a Direct-to-Video
series of Music Videos
aimed at young children, especially toddlers and babies
. Created in 1985 by Amy Weintraub and Brooks McEwan, together with music by famed children's musician Hap Palmer, and inspired by the music videos on MTV
, Baby Songs
features songs and videos that focus on subjects relatable to its target audience, including walking for the first time, taking a bath, and potty training. Each video begins with a short animated segment of a baby boy (often with his Canine Companion
) doing something related to the song.
There are 12 videos in total, not including Hap Palmer's other works.
- Baby Songs
- More Baby Songs
- Even More Baby Songs
- Baby Songs: Baby's Busy Day
- Baby Songs: ABC, 123 Colors and Shapes
- Baby Songs: Good Night
- Baby Songs: Animals
- Baby Songs: Sing Together
- Baby Songs: Silly Songs
- Baby Songs: Rock & Roll
- Baby Songs: Christmas
- Baby Songs: John Lithgow's Kid Size Concert
The Baby Songs series contains examples of:
- Big, Friendly Dog: "Baby's Little Doggie" from Baby Songs (a fur-suited actor much like Barkley from Sesame Street, to be exact). The animated boy's dog also counts.
- Everything's Better with Monkeys: "Sitting in a High Chair" from Baby Songs, which uses both a real chimpanzee and a monkey-suited actor.
- Guilty Pleasure
- Innocent Aliens: "Rub-a-Dub" from Baby Songs has an alien crash-landing and taking a bath with a boy (in a separate tub, mind you).
- Living Toys: "Raggedy Rag Doll Friend" from Even More Baby Songs has a girl dream about shrinking down to the size of her Captain Ersatz Raggedy Ann, which then comes to life and begins playing with her.
- Nobody Poops: Averted, since most of the target audience still needs to learn about toilet training.
- Security Blanket: The aptly-named "Security".