Series: Answer Me Nineteen Ninety Seven
From left to right: Joon-hee, Yoo-jung, Shi-won, Yoon-jae, Hak-chan, Sung-jaeAnswer Me 1997
(응답하라 1997, Reply 1997, Answer to 1997) is a 16 episode long Korean Drama
which aired on cable network tvN in 2012.
The series begins in 2012 with our heroine Sung Shi-won at her Busan high school reunion, where one couple is about to announce their marriage. From there, the drama skips back and forth in time from 1997 to 2012 to follow the adventures and misadventures of the extreme H.O.T
fangirl Shi-won, her family and her group of high school friends. Comedy, hijinks and lots of heartwarming moments ensue.
This series provides examples of:
- The Ace: Yoon Tae-woong, Yoon-jae's older, smarter, nicer brother.
- Actor Allusion: Mo Yoo-jung's latest favourite Boy Band (as of the 2012 reunion) is Infinite, who's membership includes Hoya, the actor portraying Kang Yoon-Hee.
- Anachronic Order
- Aww, Look! They Really Do Love Each Other: Shi-won and her dad are the familial version of this.
- Big Eater: Shi-won
- Childhood Friend Romance
- Double Standard: Abuse, Female on Male: Shi-won beating up Yoon-jae is Played for Laughs.
- Fandom Rivalry: In-Universe. Serious Business. An extremely fierce one is present between the fangirls of Boy Band's H.O.T and Sechskies, culminating in a face-off at the 1998 Golden Disk Awards.
- Fangirl: Yoo-jung and most of Shi-won's classmates are this, but Shi-won herself is easily the most extreme example.
- First Love: A major trope since this is a high school series. In the end, the only first loves who get together are Yoonjae and Shiwon.
- Special mention should go to how Yoonjae is Shi-won, Yoo-Jung AND Joon-hee's first love.
- Gilligan Cut: Yoon-Jae asserts that if then-emerging singer, Yangpa, became popular despite what he thought was a ridiculous name ("onion" in Korean), he would do naked cartwheels at the girl's high school. Cut immediately to Shirtless Scene mentioned below.
- I Want My Beloved to Be Happy: Joon-hee would rather have Yoon-jae be happy with Shi-won than have Yoon-jae to himself.
- Love Triangle
- Motor Mouth: Sung-jae, to the point where Shi-won's dad has to bribe him to shut up for the duration of a baseball game.
- Shirtless Scene: Yoon-jae repeatedly, but most memorably at the end of the second episode where he tumbled around a field dressed only in tighty whiteys.
- Shown Their Work: The writers have put in a great deal of research into matching the technology and culture of 1997 Busan, and it shows.
- Slash Fic: Shi-won manages to indirectly get into college because of hers. As an adult screenwriter, she admits to re-reading them and finding them atrocious.
- Straight Gay: Joon-hee
- Technology Marches On: Remember cassette tapes? And dial-up internet?
- Pagers, flipphones, phone booths?
- Why Did It Have to Be Snakes?: Yoon-jae and frogs.