Hmph. So, one of the traitors deigns to speak to me. You are brave, but foolhardy. Perhaps you need to be taught your place under my feet. But your foolish courage intrigues me, so I shall speak to you a bit longer, and if you entertain I may let you survive this encounter.
I am Sephiroth, originating from Final Fantasy VII
and now spread far beyond to other worlds. But of course you should not need to be told that. My name has struck terror into hearts bolder than yours. For years I have traveled the streams of video game history, watching, waiting, and learning. My next coming shall most certainly be upon us soon. Until then, I shall tell you of the path that has brought me here.
Once, I was a humble soldier fighting for the Shinra Electric Power Company
. I was a reknown and beloved hero
, famous for my exploits in the Wutai War, and feared by all for my unrivaled battle prowess. And they were not unhappy days, not mostly. I had friends, I had comrades. I was the most powerful and respected man on the Planet.
Then came the Nibelheim mission
The events of those few days have been obscured
by Shinra propaganda and cover-ups
, and I confess even my own memories have blurred. Whatever precisely occurred, that day I was made aware of my true heritage. I discovered I was a prototype biological experiment
conducted by Shinra, created from the genetic materials of a frozen creature named "Jenova". Jenova was the last of the Cetra
that had once spread their great civilization across the planet, until the humans
abandoned them to die at the hands of a mysterious disaster. Enraged, I put the town to the torch and attempted to claim my mother's remains, but he
, that ignorant puppet Cloud Strife, to my great shame, caught me off-guard and threw me into a pit of Mako energy.
I died that day, strictly speaking, but I would not let this stop my ambitions
. I ascended to something greater
. My spirit entered The Lifestream
and I traveled its depths, learning ancient and forgotten knowledge, my powers and knowledge increasing beyond anything a human could ever achieved. Years later I put my plans into action. Using my mother's remains, which I now had psychic control over, I used her shapeshifting abilities to form a new body for myself, and began seeking the Black Materia
. With it I could summon the ultimate destructive magic, Meteor
. I would summon Meteor to strike the Planet, and when the Lifestream emerged to heal such a heavy wound to the Planet, I would be there in the impact crater. I would absorb the Lifestream to become a god
During my search I took vengeance on the puppet Cloud, toying with his false memories and leading him across the Planet until he delivered the Black Materia to me himself. In one of my most infamous acts, I slew a little flower girl
in his company before his very eyes. She commanded the White Materia that could cast Holy, the only force that could stop Meteor. Cloud and his friends descended into the depths of the Northern Crater, where my physical body had reformed, and killed me again. Holy stopped Meteor's descent and my plans were foiled, but my spirit again endured in the Lifestream. Some years later
I completed a second resurrection and again attempted to take control of the planet, but was once again, defeated.
What has become of me now? Who can say
? Most certainly my spirit still endures within the Lifestream waiting a day when I can rise again. Until then, wait. I swore once I would never be just a memory of the people, and I will make good on that promise.
I have made numerous appearances in spin-off media. I have battled Keyblade masters
, martial artists
, and banded with other Final Fantasy
villains to battle my enemies beside them. In some more lax moments of recreation, I have indulged in musical performances
and played board games
Below you will find a listing of tropes collected to enlighten you further to my great legacy. Read them now and leave my presence, for you have begun to annoy and my patience has become thin. Dare speak to me once more, and you will never speak to anyone ever again.
Your mortal mind could barely understand my power, but these tropes may help you grasp the basics.
- Actually a Doombot: An often forgotten fact was that the me that killed Aerith was really a Jenova monster I controlled taking my appearance.
- A God Am I: My goal is the domination and control of the Lifestream, and with it, the Planet. All life that exists will do so at my whim or be eradicated.
- Arch-Enemy: To that ignorant traitor Cloud Strife. While I have appeared in many incarnations, you can be assured that sooner or later, no matter the world, he and I will always cross blades.
- Back from the Dead: My original physical body was destroyed at Nibelheim. Through my mother's shapeshifting abilities though, I am able to exert influence over her cells and make new bodies to act through, as long as my spirit exists in the Lifestream.
- Badass: I am annoyed you even need explanation for this entry. I was the most powerful human on the Planet before my death, and my time wandering the Lifestream only increased my powers further. My creators have said that nothing in my world can surpass my power anymore.
- Badass Longcoat: Though much of my character varies across appearances, this is consistent. My Black Cloak is synonymous with me and is all I have ever worn.
- Big Bad: Of Final Fantasy VII.
- Bigger Bad: in Advent Children. Kadaj is the film's main antagonist for all practical purposes, and bringing me back to life is his main goal.
- BFS: My Masamune, my most favored weapon, reaches variable lengths, but at its shortest it is at least as long as I am tall, and at its longer, several times that.
- Bishōnen: My long, well-kept hair and fair skin are contributory factors to my appearance being, I confess, not as masculine as some may prefer.
- Blade Spam: I can move faster than your human eyes could comprehend. My blade moves with such swiftness that while you see me swing once, I have actually swung more than a dozen times.
- Bonus Boss: In Kingdom Hearts I and II.
- Casting a Shadow: One of my iconic techniques, Shadow Flare, manifests as orbs of dark energy surrounding and bombarding my foes.
- Colony Drop: My original goal was to summon Meteor to impact the planet. For this, in spin-off incarnations I am often able to summon meteors of variable size to strike my enemies.
- Depending on the Writer: My character is prone to widely different interpretations, both from my creators and to fans. To some I am a Tragic Monster driven insane by the discovery of my origins, to others I am a Punch Clock Villain who pursues evil only because it suits my goals to do so, and to yet others I am an Omnicidal Maniac seeking to destroy all life except myself in my quest for power. My abilities are also subject to this, ranging from what you humans would call an Empowered Badass Normal to a Physical God taken on human form.
- Dissonant Serenity: I am in complete control of my emotions and the circumstances I find myself in, and so I maintain my composure at all times.
- Enemy Without: My incarnation in Kingdom Hearts is hinted to be the embodiment of the darkness in Cloud's heart, born and reborn every time I am defeated to plague him until he conquers his own heart. If this is meant in a symbolic or literal sense, I would prefer not to clarify.
- Fallen Hero: Once I was a great war hero beloved by the Planet. Now I am one of the Planet's most feared enemies.
- Flanderization: I was forced to invoke this upon myself after my second death. The Lifestream eventually assimilates all spirits into an indecipherable collective of souls, so to maintain my own identity I focused on my hatred of Cloud. This allowed my less-important character traits and memories to leave me, as my hatred of Cloud and my thirst for revenge gave me the emotional core I needed to survive.
- Flash Step: Sometimes I merely move at superhuman speeds, at other times I may teleport. Either way, I will be next to you ready to strike before you could anticipate it.
- Fountain of Expies: I have become so reknown that many have attempted to emulate me. All are pale imitations of the original, I assure you.
- Go Mad from the Revelation: I confess, I did not handle the truth of my origins with as much tact and control as I usually exhibit. Beyond Nibelheim's destruction some would say I am still insane, but they are fools who do not understand I have just had my eyes opened to my destiny.
- Green Eyes: My natural green eyes betray my true nature as a Jenova experiment, heir to a great and powerful legacy.
- Heads I Win, Tails You Lose: When I serve a boss in "Crisis Core" when the game covers the Nibelheim incident, since the player is controlling Zack Fair. I'm fought like any other boss, but I still win afterwards, since Zack failed to stop me.
- Hijacking Cthulhu: My mother Jenova was an abomination of tentacles and eyes in roughly humanoid form that traveled the cosmos destroying Planets. I subverted her body and bent it to my will as an extension of myself.
- Katanas Are Just Better: My Masamune is a nodachi, to use the precise term, but if you must conform to the common word for those types of swords, it is a katana. One that only I may wield.
- Lightning Bruiser: In all depictions, I move and teleport at superhuman speeds and can swing my sword with such power that none could hope to oppose me and live.
- Magic Knight: Though my prowess with magic varies depending on my depiction, I am often skilled to some degree with spells and sword alike.
- Manipulative Bastard: I am quite adept at toying with the emotions of others to make them do what I want. You are free to ask Cloud if you do not believe me.
- Master Swordsman: My skill with the Masamune is unparalleled. None could hope to match my strength and speed with it, and none ever have.
- Ominous Latin Chanting: The chorus of my trademark theme, One-Winged Angel, which has served as my theme in almost every appearance I make. It is one of the most prolific Final Fantasy themes, being remixed a half-dozen times, often with new lyrics.
- One-Winged Angel: I am the Trope Namer, this being the name of my Leitmotif which is remixed in most all of my appearances. While I am hardly the first to actually do the act the trope explains, my status of having a single black wing now makes me a rather literal interpretation of the trope.
- Out of the Inferno: My scene of standing among the flames of Nibelheim is an iconic image of me, and is referenced in many of my appearances.
- Power Gives You Wings: As the god-being Safer Sephiroth I bore six white wings instead of legs, and a black wing in place of my right arm. More commonly now I am depicted with a single black wing over my right shoulder.
- Punch Clock Villain: My appearance in Dissidia: Final Fantasy. I had no interest in the Forever War waged between Chaos and Cosmos, my only goal was to understand the nature behind it and how it could be used to further my ambitions.
- Purposely Overpowered Guest Star Party Member: In Cloud's flashbacks, though I can't be controlled by the player, I'll kill any enemies a couple hits, have mastered various materia, and can't be damaged.
- A Sinister Clue: One of Final Fantasy's first villains to be obviously left-handed, and I have always been so save for once.
- The Stoic: I am very adverse to open displays of emotion aside from arrogance and cruelty. I confess though I often lose my composure when I witness Cloud overpowering me in some fashion.
- Sugar and Ice Personality: Prior to the Nibelheim case, those in Shinra that kept their distance considered me a cold and stern authority figure, but those that took the care to get to know me would find me personable, polite, and at times, yes, quite kind and understanding. This is why my betrayal of Shinra shook so many so heavily.
- Super Prototype: While subsequent SOLDIER recruits of Shinra would be injected with Jenova cells upon entry, I was injected as a fetus, growing and merging with them to achieve greater power than any normal recruit would ever have.
- Sword Beam: Another skill I am fond of. At times it manifests as a blade of energy, at other times Razor Wind in the wake of my strikes.
- White Hair, Black Heart: My long silver-white hair is another of my iconic design appearances, and goes well with my cruel and sinister nature.
- Woobie, Destroyer of Worlds: Some would consider the tragedy and trauma that followed my life up to the Nibelheim case to make me a tragic and sympathetic figure. Pity me if you wish, it will not spare you my wrath.