Script: Derek The Rock Star
Derek the Rock Star
is a 2011 story written and illustrated by Nate Spidgewood
. It's about a teenage boy named Derek Finn who starts up a new rock band called Insane Brats. But this job was ruined by a group of FBI agents that hate rock music, so he teams up with his bandmates to defeat the agents and take the genre back.
It can be read at Writing.Com
) and Deviant ART
Derek the Rock Star provides examples of:
- Adorkable / Bishōnen: Derek.
- Based on a Dream
- Berserk Button: Peter, when he sees Roland asking Derek to give him his guitar.
- Big Bad: Agent Roland.
- Big Good: Peter, Derek's manager.
- Big "NO!": One of the horrified citizens during the agents' replacing of rock music shouts one.
- Black Best Friend: Manny.
- Book Ends: The story begins with Derek's concert presentation and his song "Soar High in the Sky". But ever since the concert was ruined by the agents, it had to be repaired. At the very end, the concert is back up and running and Derek sings his song again.
- Canine Companion: Aston.
- Catch Phrase: Roland's "Dagnabbit!".
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Babyface is revealed to be this, since he runs an evil corporation called "Country Music Partners, Inc." Though his unbelievably childish behavior subverts this one.
- Cowardly Lion: Derek. A bit.
- Deadpan Snarker: Herbert, Steve and Manny.
- Roland's henchmen as well.
- Disney Acid Sequence: "Soar High in the Sky".
- Disney Villain Death: Happens to the agents when they fall off the cliff at the end.
- Don't Call Me Sir: Roland, at one point.
- Downer Beginning: The Insane Brats concert being sabotaged by the agents.
- The Dragon: Agent Bradley, Agent Philip, and Babyface, Roland's henchmen.
- Drives Like Crazy: The characters do this in the climatic Chase Scene.
- Every Car Is a Pinto: In the dynamite scene, when Roland and his henchmen run away from the dynamite, it explodes, and even their car suddenly explodes near it. Also, when the agents' car falls off the cliff at the end of the climax, it makes a gigantic explosion.
- Fat Bastard: Roland.
- Five-Man Band:
- Four-Fingered Hands: What the characters were drawn with in the illustrations.
- Gosh Dang It to Heck!: See Catch Phrase.
- Large Ham: Roland.
- Let's Split Up, Gang: In the climax, Steve and Manny split from Derek, Janet and Herbert in order to find Aston while said three members must escape from the agents.
- Man Child: Gordon, aka "Babyface", who even dresses as a baby.
- The Men in Black: Roland, Bradley and Philip.
- Mooks: Bradley, Philip and Babyface.
- Oddly Small Organization: Country Music Partners, Inc., whose only employee is Babyface himself.
- Oh, Crap: Derek, at times, whenever he's in deep trouble.
- Papa Wolf: Peter is very protective of Derek, so don't threaten the latter or else you'll get your butt kicked.
- Plucky Comic Relief: Herbert, Steve and Manny.
- Plucky Girl: Janet.
- Produce Pelting: Happens to Babyface when he takes over Derek's spot on the stage with a ukulele.
- Role Called
- Rump Roast: Happens once to Roland due to an explosion a dynamite light by Derek made.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: Steve and Manny are absent when the agents chase Derek, Janet and Herbert, but come back when they found Aston.
- The Speechless: Aston.
- Sphere Eyes: What the characters were drawn with in the illustrations.
- Staying Alive: In The Stinger of the story, the agents are revealed to be alive.
- Surprisingly Happy Ending: After celebrating the death of the agents, Derek quickly becomes down in dumps when he realizes his map flew out to the ravine. But then when he arrives home with his friends, other people suddenly started congratulating him and a happy ending ensues.
- Take My Hand: During the chase scene, Derek gets dragged by Roland off the motorcycle and into the agents' car, but Peter speeds up after it and reaches his hand out for Derek, who also reaches out. They tried to catch each other's hands, but they couldn't reach. However, Peter finally manages to take Derek's hand and drag him back onto the motorcycle.
- Take That: To the country music genre.
- Terrible Trio: Roland, Bradley and Philip. Babyface also joins this group, though he doesn't wear a dark FBI suit at all.
- Token Minority: Manny.
- Too Dumb to Live: Roland's henchmen.