Sandbox: Fairy Tail Guild Masters
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Leah Clark (EN)The late founder and first master of Fairy Tail, who is buried on Sirius Island, Fairy Tail's sacred ground. She continues to watch over Fairy Tail as a ghost, though only those with the guild mark are able to see her.
- A-Cup Angst: In the fourth OVA, she stumbles onto a Furo Scene with many of Fairy Tail's other female members. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Ageless: Before her death, she remained stuck in the body of a 13-year-old since she cast an incomplete version of Law in Fairy Tail Zero, which halted her physical maturity.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In the four days that the Grand Magic Games take place, she records and memorizes all the rival teams' stats and battles, and uses them to give Fairy Tail a strategy for victory.
- Beware the Nice Ones: When Zeref tells her his plan to annihilate all living beings, she responds it's the opposite: Fairy Tail will annihilate him.
- Big Good: Ever since her spirit left Sirius Island, she pretty much shares, if not outranks, Makarov as this.
- Breakout Character: Mashima intended her to be a One Shot character who would unexpectedly save the guild from Acnologia on Sirius Island. Since then her popularity has skyrocketed, and she was elevated to Big Good status.
- The Chessmaster: Her Awesome by Analysis skills aren't limited to fighting; in Fairy Tail Zero, she manages to completely outsmart Yuri in a Battle of Wits he's played for years, setting up an intricate Xanatos Gambit on only her second try.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: She was only 13 years old when she founded Fairy Tail. Considering her fellow guildmates were all young adults who went on to become some of the most powerful and respected wizards in history, this speaks volumes of Mavis's level of power and intelligence.
- Crouching Moron, Hidden Badass: She's childish, ditzy, and obsessed with fairies, but she's also a master strategist and has knowledge of at least two of Fairy Tail's three ultimate spells.
- Cry Cute: A Running Gag has Mavis bursting into tears whenever she feels she's done something wrong, be it her regret for choosing Precht as her successor to her strategy going up in smoke due to a miscalculation.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She appears in the main series as a spirit who can only be seen by members of Fairy Tail.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's always seen barefoot. According to Fairy Tail Zero, this is because her old guild master never let her keep the shoes he gave her, and she simply got used to it.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her main outfit is a frilly white dress.
- Empty Eyes: Her eyes never reflect highlights. This is probably because she's a ghost, light just passes through her instead of reflecting off of her eyes.
- Godiva Hair: Appears in many a Furo Scene with this.
- Hair Decorations: Those wings on her hair.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has light blond hair,
- Idiot Hair: Her hairstyle.
- Invisible to Normals: Only those who bear the Fairy Tail guild mark can see her.
- A Mother to Her Men: She uses Fairy Sphere to protect the guild members on Sirius Island from Acnologia's attack.
- My Greatest Failure: She never expected Precht to turn to The Dark Side when she chose him as master. Because of that, she blames herself for knowledge of Lumen Histoire leaking to Ivan.
- Not So Above It All: She first appears to be a dignified and mysterious figure, but is later shown to be just as weird as the rest of the guild.
- Passing the Torch: Chose Precht as master of Fairy Tail. She has come to regret her decision due to his Face-Heel Turn.
- Pillar of Light: Fairy Glitter, which she presumably knows how to use since she gives Cana the spell twice.
- The Power of Friendship: Weaponized; she uses the power of the guild members' faith and bonds between themselves to cast Fairy Sphere and protect them from Acnologia.
- Rapunzel Hair: It nearly touches the ground.
- Red Baron: She is known as the "Fairy Tactician" due to her aforementioned Awesomeness by Analysis abilities.
- Sphere of Power: Fairy Sphere
- The Strategist: Her Awesomeness by Analysis abilities earned her the nickname "Fairy Tactician".
- Sympathy for the Devil: She appears to genuinely feel bad for Zeref, asking if he still wants to die, and implies that she willingly let him stay on Sirius Island with her. Regardless, she vows that Fairy Tail will still stop him from wiping out humanity.
- Vague Age: As in how old she was when she died. She looks like a child and has some child-like manners, but she is a very intelligent strategist and was able to start and run a whole guild, which could hint that she is a grown-up or at the very least in her late teenage years. No matter what, she is probably Older Than She Looks.
- Walk on Water: The members of Fairy Tail spot her standing in the middle of the ocean right before she raises Sirius Island out of the water.
In Fairy Tail ZeroMavis is featured as the main protagonist of the spin-off manga Fairy Tail Zero. Before founding Fairy Tail, Mavis was a young servant girl to the Red Lizard guild on Sirius Island, which was wiped out by the rival guild Blue Skull, leaving her its only survivor. Seven years later, she discovers that Blue Skull has stolen the island's sacred treasure, the Sirius Jade, forcing her to team up with a band of treasure hunters in order to get it back.
- Break the Cutie: At the age of 6, she loses her parents and is taken in by a guild of Jerkasses who bully her on a daily basis. However, she puts up with it all without crying until Zera, the Only Friend she manages to make, seemingly dies shortly after accepting her friendship.
- Cassandra Truth: She attempts to warn Yuri about the dangers of the Sirius Jade after it's absorbed so much dark energy under Blue Skull's ownership, but because of her knack to spin elaborate lies on the fly, he doesn't believe her until it's too late.
- Child Mage: She is only 13 years old in the story and is a talented illusionist.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Her parents are dead by the start of the series, and she is left to care for herself on Sirius Island after Red Lizard is decimated by Blue Skull.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The prototype of Fairy Law, then known simply as "Law", has the same effects as it does when used in the main series. However, because it hasn't been completed at this time, it permanently halts her physical growth when she uses it to save Yuri from the Blue Dragon.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She dolls herself up in a black lolita costume and dubs herself "Black Wizard Mavis" as a tribute to the kind yet gloomy stranger in the woods who trained her in magic. At the time, she didsn't realize her friend is the Black Wizard, Zeref.
- Fatal Flaw: Her overconfidence in her own abilities proves costly for her allies, leaving them hopelessly unprepared and outnumbered against Blue Skull.
- Friendless Background: She had no friends growing up, and was bullied by the only other girl her age whom she interacted with. That changes when she decides to befriend said bully.
- It's All My Fault: She blames herself for getting Yuri and his friends hurt during their first confrontation with Blue Skull, whom she vastly underestimated in a fight.
- Master of Illusion: She can create highly detailed animals, monsters, and soldiers that can fool all but the most Genre Savvy of people. She even manages to fool herself when she unknowingly creates an illusion of her friend Zera to cope with the real Zera's death.
- Oh Crap!: Her reaction when she realizes she can't simply bluff her way past Blue Skull's master with her illusory army of soldiers.
- Plucky Girl: She puts up with the monstrous treatment she gets from Red Lizard's master and members because her parents told her that if she ever cried, she would never get to meet the fairies.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only survivor of Blue Skull's attack on Red Lizard. Not even her friend Zera survived.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She may be a child at heart, having a lifelong dream of meeting fairies, but she shocks many older and more skilled people with her keen observational skills.
- Work Off the Debt: Her parents were up to their eyes in debt to the Red Lizard guild, leaving Mavis to work it off after they passed away.
- Xanatos Gambit: Employs one during her Battle of Wits against Yuri in which they must guess something correctly about each other, declaring that she will win in one turn no matter who goes first. When Yuri goes first by saying, "That bird is your pet," she cuts him off and tricks him into saying, "That bird is you," because there was no rule saying they couldn't interrupt each other. For their do-over turn, Mavis tells Yuri he blinked 57 times since the game began, while she didn't blink even once,note which leaves Yuri stumped since he didn't keep track of his blinks and thus can't answer truthfully even if he guesses right.
Voiced by: Shinpachi Tsuji (JP), R Bruce Elliott (EN)The elderly, miniscule master of Fairy Tail. The members of his guild often give him grief for the trouble they cause between him and the Magic Council, but he loves them as if they were all his children. His mastery over many forms of magic, including the size-increasing Giant magic, has earned him the title of one of the Ten Wizard Saints, who are widely regarded as the most powerful wizards alive.
- Badass Mustache: He has well-defined whiskers that jut upright when he turns into a giant. He later grows a Badass Beard to compliment it after the second Time Skip.
- Badass in Distress: Being one of Fairy Tail's most powerful members, it happens from time to time:
- In the Fighting Festival arc, he is confined to the guildhall by Fried's Jutsu-Shiki preventing everyone over the age of 80 from participating in the Battle of Fairy Tail.
- In the Albareth Empire arc, his guild embarks on a journey to save him while he's held hostage by The Empire, with twelve of the most powerful wizards alive preventing him from just walking out.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: He does this to the entire guild after their war with Tartaros when he suddenly disbands Fairy Tail, leaving everyone confused, angry, or heartbroken. Only later do they learn that Makarov did it so they wouldn't be targeted by the Albareth Empire in case his peace negotiations with them fell through.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Even without his Size Shifter abilities, Makarov can kick plenty of ass at his usual, diminutive size.
Voiced by: Masaki Kawanabe (JP), Brian Mathis (EN)One of the guild's veteran members. He uses a form of fire magic called Purple Flare, which creates flames that stick to objects instead of burning them. He temporarily replaces Makarov as master of Fairy Tail during his seven-year disappearance.
- Action Dad: His son Romeo is proud to have a Badass wizard for a father.
- Back from the Dead: He is among the wizards killed by Motherglare's hatchlings during the Grand Magic Games arc, but he's brought back to life courtesy of Ultear's Last Ages spell.
- Badass: He manages to take out 19 Vulcans on his own while Natsu and Lucy have some trouble against the one that finally got the better of him.
- Badass in Distress: One of the series' first stories shows him going missing for days on a job to slay Vulcans on Mt. Hakobe.
- Badass Longcoat: Always seen wearing a white longcoat.
- Demoted to Extra: He has a fair bit of prominence alongside the other secondary characters in the earliest portions of the manga, but he quickly falls out of focus after the Galuna Island arc. He regains some time in the spotlight when he becomes Fairy Tail's fourth master, with the anime giving him a whole Filler arc to show off his leadership chops, but he loses it as soon as Makarov retakes his old position.
- I Owe You My Life: He repays Natsu for saving him on Mt. Hakobe by covering for him while he goes to save Erza for being unlawfully tried for the collateral damage from the Lullaby arc. However, it's wasted when it turns out the whole trial is a farce. He later gets to repay his debt for real in a Filler arc by feeding him fire so he can defeat Daphne.
- Insistent Terminology: He insists on Wakaba calling him "Master" instead of by name.
- Manly Tears: After the Time Skip, the poor man breaks down in tears over the fact that he never once saw his son smile once in the seven years since Natsu and the others disappeared.
- Perma Stubble: His stubble turns into a full mustache after the Time Skip.
- Playing with Fire: His special brand of fire magic is immune to wind and water.
- Properly Paranoid: During the Key of the Starry Heavens Filler arc, he is sure to run a full background check on a girl who comes to Fairy Tail's front door carrying an Artifact of Doom and claims to be Lucy's distant relative. This eventually leads to the discovery that this visitor isn't who she says she is.
- Technicolor Fire: His Purple Flare magic is purple.
- Temporarily a Villain: In a Filler episode based on the "Fairy Woman" omake, Macao turns into a Kaiju-esque supervillain called "Mr. Purple" after straining his magic to turn into a younger version of himself and win back his estranged wife.
- Unexpected Successor: With Makarov and all his potential successors missing and presumed dead during the Time Skip, the role of master falls upon this otherwise minor character. To emphasize how far down the ladder Macao is, Makarov decides to let him keep the position for a laugh while he looks for a more suitable successor.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He demonstrates some skill in transformation when he turns himself into a tiny red lizard while pretending to be Natsu. In a Filler episode after the Time Skip, however, he is shown to have trouble transforming.
- "Well Done, Dad" Guy: Often Played for Laughs. The guy envies that his son takes after Natsu more than his old man.
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (JP), Jason Douglas (EN)The S-Class wizard regarded by everyone in the guild to be the most powerful member of Fairy Tail, full stop. As a testament of his strength, his Crush magic causes him to turn anything he touches to dust. He takes on jobs that have never been completed for tens or even hundreds of years, and thus only visits his guild a couple of years at a time for short periods of time. He is nominated by Makarov to become Fairy Tail's fifth master, but due to his extreme wanderlust, he shoves the position back onto Makarov.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.