open/close all folders
- Anti-Hero: The treasure hunters start out as this, only helping fight Blue Skull so they can keep the Sirius Jade for themselves.
- Badass Normal: The treasure hunters don't have any magic at the outset, but they way they use their wits and weaponry to handle giant monsters, crowds of ordinary thugs, and even wizards (when mano a mano at least) is pretty efficient. Then they actually learn magic, and it becomes a whole other story.
- Fighter, Mage, Thief: Before learning magic, the treasure hunters made up this group. Warrod (the Fighter) was a Mighty Glacier who could plow through an armed crowd, Yuri (the Mage) used flash bombs, and Precht (the Thief) was a Dance Battler who favored chain blades.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Mavis and the treasure hunters essentially start out as enemies bickering over the rightful ownership of the former's cherished relic. When they team up to get it back, Mavis sees and draws out the better qualities in the latter, who conversely warm up to her charm and intelligence.
- Four-Temperament Ensemble:
- Mavis is Sanguine: outgoing, sweet-hearted, and a natural-born leader.
- Yuri is Choleric: hot-headed, reckless, and extremely passionate about his goals.
- Precht is Melancholic: humorless, analytical, and not the best at talking with people.
- Warrod is Phlegmatic: easygoing, personable, and capable of bringing people together.
- Freudian Trio: The Sylph Labyrinth trio, especially defined in the anime: Yuri is the impulsive one who gets the others into trouble; Precht is the meticulous one focused only on achieving their missions; and Warrod is the one who keeps the other two from getting killed.
- Treasure Hunter: Yuri, Precht and Warrod started out as treasure hunters from Sylph Labyrinth, the same guild Fairy Tail would later confront at the Village of the Sun. Their search for one such treasure, the Sirius Jade, is what first brought them in contact with Mavis.
- True Companions: The treasure hunters are already a tightly knit bunch by the time they meet Mavis, who ends up one of their closest companions later on.
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Leah Clark (EN)The first and founding master of Fairy Tail, whose grave is located on the guild's sacred ground of Sirius Island. Although a tragic incident stunted her physical maturity at the age of 13, Mavis commands her guild's respect with her compassion, wisdom, and good cheer. Even in death, her spirit remains to guide and protect Fairy Tail, though only those with the guild mark are able to see her.
- A-Cup Angst: In the fourth OVA, she stumbles onto a Furo Scene with many of Fairy Tail's other female members. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Ageless: Before her death, she remained stuck in the body of a 13-year-old since she cast an unmastered version of Fairy Law, which halted her physical maturity.
- All-Loving Heroine: She's so loving and compassionate, she's the only known person able to befriend Zeref, at least for a time.
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost: The Mavis seen in the present is not a ghost, but an astral projection of her immortal body, which is kept in stasis beneath Fairy Tail's guildhall.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In the four days that the Grand Magic Games take place, she records and memorizes all the rival teams' stats and battles, and uses them to give Fairy Tail a strategy for victory.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Using Fairy Law before she was able to work out its kinks left her afflicted with the same curse that plagues Zeref: the more she values life, the more lives she is forced to take.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is the sweetest and cleverest girl anyone could ever have the privilege of meeting, but she shows no mercy to those who threaten the safety of humanity or her friends, even if that someone is her old lover.
- Big Damn Heroes: She makes her first appearance converting Fairy Tail's bond of friendship into Fairy Sphere to defend against Acnologia's Breath Weapon.
- The Big Damn Kiss: She and Zeref shared one (albeit silhouetted) right before her death. More specifically, their kiss is her cause of death; the fact that Zeref loved her as strongly as he did meant he had no choice but to kill her, even though she was supposed to be immortal.
- Big Good: As the founding master of Fairy Tail and the Good Counterpart to Zeref, the Big Bad, she automatically outranks the previous Big Good Makarov after her spirit leaves Sirius Island.
- Break the Cutie: Fairy Tail Zero reveals she had a rough childhood, but that's nothing compared to her later life, even if she managed to recover from it all. By falling under the same curse that turned Zeref into the Big Bad, accidentally killing her best friend's wife, and then spending a year doing the same to every living thing that crossed her path, she basically lived the All-Loving Hero's worst nightmare.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's childish, ditzy, and obsessed with fairies, but she's also a master strategist and has knowledge of all three of Fairy Tail's ultimate spells.
- A Child Shall Lead Them: She was only 13 years old when she founded Fairy Tail. Considering her fellow guildmates were all young adults who went on to become some of the most powerful and respected wizards in history, this speaks volumes of Mavis's power and intelligence.
- Complete Immortality: Casting Law didn't merely take her ability to age; it also took her ability to die just like Zeref. The only thing that managed to end her life was Zeref's love for her, which was so strong that his curse allowed him to kill the unkillable, and even then she remains stuck in a state between life and death.
- Curse Escape Clause: Like Zeref, Mavis was cursed by Ankhselam with immortality and magic that steals others' lives the more she values life. She likely would've begun taking names left and right had she not been drafted into the Second Caravan Road War, which dulled her respect for life (as wars usually do to anyone), though this tragically did not last when Makarov was born. As for her immortality, she managed to (sort of) die when Zeref fell in love with her, which made his curse powerful enough to kill the unkillable.
- Cry Cute: A Running Gag has Mavis bursting into tears whenever she feels she's done something wrong, be it her regret for choosing Precht as her successor to her strategy going up in smoke due to a miscalculation.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She's so carefree and friendly, it's easy to forget that she's an incorporeal being who only people with Fairy Tail's guild mark can see.
- Died in Your Arms Tonight: She died in Zeref's arms right after they share their first and only kiss.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's always seen barefoot. According to Fairy Tail Zero, this is because her old guild master never let her keep the shoes he gave her, and she simply got used to it.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her main outfit is a frilly white dress. She also dolls up in a black dress in Fairy Tail Zero.
- Empty Eyes: Her eyes rarely reflect highlights by default.
- Freak Out: Mavis had such a huge freak out after accidentally killing Yuri's wife and Makarov's mother that she ran away from the guild and never returned for the rest of her life. After a year of doing the same to countless innocents, Mavis became a broken shell of a girl who couldn't even starve to death on account of her immortality. She found solace in Zeref, the one person who could possibly empathize with her, which helped bring her back to her old self (even if she did die afterwards).
- Friend to All Living Things: She is fond of the fauna that inhabit Sirius Island, and even manages to invoke this trope with her Illusion Magic as a kind gesture for Zeref. In a cruel twist, she wound up turning into the exact opposite when she was cursed with the Black Magic of Ankhselam; as long as she cares about others, she will always be a threat to their lives.
- Friendly Ghost: She's still friendly, cheerful and always appears to aid members of her guild long after her death.
- Godiva Hair: Appears in many a Furo Scene with this, as does her naked, crystal-encased body beneath Fairy Tail's guildhall.
- Hair Decorations: Those wings on her hair, though it's hard to tell whether they're actually a part of her body since they twitch and change with her expression.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has light blonde hair and is easily one of the most charitable characters in the series.
- Idiot Hair: A permanent cowlick on the very top of her hair. She's no idiot, though.
- Invisible to Normals: Only those who bear the Fairy Tail guild mark can see and hear her while she's a spirit.
- Living MacGuffin: Her body is Lumen Histoire, or Fairy Heart as it's less commonly known, a wellspring of infinite magic power that Zeref is willing to wage war over to claim her.
- A Mother to Her Men: Much like Makarov, she sees her guild as her family and will become fiercely protective of them if they're put in harm's way.
- My Greatest Failure: Everything leading up to and surrounding her curse, death, and configuration into Lumen Histoire has caused her a great deal of regret. For one, it was she who killed Makarov's mother right when he was born, the shock and guilt of which was enough to drive her away from the guild. By extension, her decision to name Precht her successor was also a big mistake in her eyes, as it's because of him that word of Lumen Histoire leaked to Makarov's son Ivan, and eventually Zeref himself.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Being the compassionate girl she was, Mavis took pity on Zeref and became his only friend. In return, Zeref taught her and her allies magic, including a forbidden spell that turned her into an immortal life-stealer just like himself.
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Her physical maturity was halted after she used Law. She was never bothered by it until she found out she was actually completely immortal as a side effect of Ankhselam's curse.
- Not So Above It All: She first appears to be a dignified and mysterious figure, but is later shown to be just as quirky as the rest of the guild.
- Older Than She Looks: She was 24 when she died, but due to being The Ageless as a consequence of casting Law, she retains the appearance of a 13-year-old girl.
- Only Friend: To Zeref. Not only was Zeref the one who taught Fairy Tail's founders their magic, but throughout the entire main series and Fairy Tail Zero, Mavis is the only person that Zeref has ever been shown to allow to be in close physical proximity to him. Zeref even says that the time they spent together were his most cherished memories. She's also the only person who can truly relate to him, seeing as how she has the exact same curse as Zeref himself.
- Only Mostly Dead: Because she was completely immortal after being cursed, it became impossible for Zeref to kill her, but his love for her became so strong that his curse "killed" her anyway, leaving her in a state between life and death.
- Passing the Torch: She designated Precht as her successor as guild master in her will. She has come to regret her decision due to his Face–Heel Turn.
- Pillar of Light: Fairy Glitter, which she presumably knows how to use since she gives Cana the spell twice.
- Plucky Girl: She has one of the most traumatic backstories in the series, especially for someone as adorable as her. The simple fact that she went beyond the Despair Event Horizon and still came back as bright and compassionate as ever proves just how iron-willed she really is.
- Power Floats: She's shown several times to be able to fly or hover, and she's one of the most powerful wizards in the series.
- Rapunzel Hair: Her hair nearly touches the ground.
- Red Baron: She is known as the "Fairy Tactician" due to her aforementioned Awesomeness by Analysis abilities.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Her spirit serves as the Big Good while her physical form is secretly preserved within a crystal beneath Fairy Tail's guildhall, serving as the basis of Lumen Histoire.
- Ship Tease: There's quite a bit of Ship Tease to be had between her and Zeref, from her Naked First Impression of him in Fairy Tail Zero to what she thinks is a Headbutt of Love. Their ship finally seems to sail when they have what is unarguably The Big Damn Kiss...except Mavis dies right afterward, and her spirit is determined to destroying Zeref at all costs, no matter what lingering subtext there may be between them.
- Sphere of Power: Fairy Sphere, one of the Three Great Fairy Magics, is a barrier powerful enough to completely deflect Acnologia's Breath Weapon. The downside is that it displaces time for those inside it.
- The Strategist: Her Awesomeness by Analysis abilities earned her the nickname "Fairy Tactician" during the Second Caravan Road War, since her strategies were the only reason her side won. She also comes up with a nearly foolproof plan for Fairy Tail to win the final contest of the Grand Magic Games based on battle data she has gathered throughout the tournament.
- Sympathy for the Devil: She immediately felt sorry for Zeref because of his Curse and befriended him during their first encounter, despite not recognizing who he was at the time. Even after learning his identity, she completely shrugged off the bad rumors about him because of his kindness. Much of that sympathy was lost when she discovered what kind of atrocities he was capable of, yet she still continues to harbor some pity for him while vowing to destroy him.
- Tsurime Eyes: Normally Tareme Eyes would seem more fitting for a sweet and cheerful girl like her, but her sharply-shaped eyes foreshadow her keen intellect and unwavering sense of justice.
- Walk on Water: The members of Fairy Tail spot her standing in the middle of the ocean right before she raises Sirius Island out of the water.
- Who Wants to Live Forever?: At first, she didn't mind losing her ability to age until Zeref told her the terrible price of immortality that came with it. The next time he saw her, she'd been starved for half a year and outright begged Zeref to end her suffering.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She may be a child at heart, having a lifelong dream of meeting fairies, but she shocks many older and more skilled people with her keen observational skills.
- We Used to Be Friends: As first established in Fairy Tail Zero, Mavis was good friends with the present Big Bad Zeref while she was still alive, and eventually fell in love with him. The two have since become mortal enemies after it became clear just what horrific acts Zeref was capable of and willing to do, Mavis setting aside whatever feelings she may still have for him to ensure he is stopped at all costs.
- You Can See Me?: She is quite alarmed to discover that the Spriggan 12's Jacob can not only see her, but injure her as well, even though she's supposed to be invisible to all but those with Fairy Tail's guild emblem, not to mention incorporeal.
In Fairy Tail ZeroMavis is featured as the main protagonist of the spin-off manga Fairy Tail Zero. Before founding Fairy Tail, Mavis was a young servant girl to the Red Lizard guild on Sirius Island, which was wiped out by the rival guild Blue Skull, leaving her its only survivor. Seven years later, she discovers that Blue Skull has stolen the island's sacred treasure, the Sirius Jade, forcing her to team up with a band of treasure hunters in order to get it back.
- Barefoot Poverty: Imposed on her by old and cruel guild master, who decided she was undeserving of the boots he had bought her. Mavis had to go barefoot and soil her feet, but she eventually began to enjoy not wearing shoes and abandoned wearing them forever.
- Break the Cutie: At the age of 6, she loses her parents and is taken in by a guild of Jerkasses who bully her on a daily basis. However, she puts up with it all without crying until Zera, the Only Friend she manages to make, seemingly dies shortly after accepting her friendship.
- Cassandra Truth: She attempts to warn Yuri about the dangers of the Sirius Jade after it's absorbed so much dark energy under Blue Skull's ownership, but because of her knack of spinning elaborate lies on the fly, he doesn't believe her until it's too late.
- Child Mage: She is only 13 years old in the story and is a talented illusionist.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Her parents are dead by the start of the series, and she is left to care for herself on Sirius Island after Red Lizard is decimated by Blue Skull.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The prototype of Fairy Law, then known simply as Law, essentially gives the caster complete jurisdiction over who lives and who dies. As a consequence, it permanently halted her physical growth when she used it to save her friends and all of Magnolia. This later turns out to be part of Ankhselam's curse, because the god of life and death doesn't take kindly to mortals toying around with this kind of magic.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She dolls herself up in a black lolita costume and dubs herself "Black Wizard Mavis" as a tribute to the kind yet gloomy stranger in the woods who trained her in magic. At the time, she didsn't realize her friend is the Black Wizard, Zeref.
- Fatal Flaw: Her overconfidence in her own abilities proves costly for her allies, leaving them hopelessly unprepared and outnumbered during their first confrontation with Blue Skull.
- Friendless Background: She had no friends growing up, and was bullied by the only other girl her age whom she interacted with. That changes when she decides to befriend said bully.
- It's All My Fault: She blames herself for getting Yuri and his friends hurt during their first confrontation with Blue Skull, whom she vastly underestimated in a fight.
- Locked Out of the Loop: She is the only character in Fairy Tail Zero who doesn't realize Zera is just an illusion only she can see and hear, which makes sense considering no one else was around when she created Zera right when the real Zera died. The others don't have the heart to tell her the truth until they decide they can trust her enough to handle it.
- Master of Illusion: This is her primary magic in the series, allowing her to create highly detailed animals, monsters, and soldiers that can fool all but the most Genre Savvy of people. She even manages to fool herself when she unknowingly creates an illusion of her best friend Zera to cope with the real Zera's death.
- Oh Crap!: Her reaction when she realizes she can't simply bluff her way past Blue Skull's master with her illusory army of soldiers.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only survivor of Blue Skull's attack on Red Lizard alongside her best friend Zera until it's revealed not even Zera survived.
- Work Off the Debt: Her parents were up to their eyes in debt to the Red Lizard guild, leaving Mavis to work it off after they passed away.
- Xanatos Gambit: Employs one during her Battle of Wits against Yuri in which they must guess something correctly about each other, declaring that she will win in one turn no matter who goes first. When Yuri goes first by saying, "You are a bird owner," she cuts him off and tricks him into saying, "You are a bird," because there was no rule saying they couldn't interrupt each other. For their do-over turn, Mavis tells Yuri he blinked 57 times since the game began, while she didn't blink even once,note which leaves Yuri stumped since he didn't keep track of his blinks and thus can't answer truthfully even if he guesses right.
Voiced by: Katsuyuki Konishi (JP), Clifford Chapin (EN)Makarov's father, and one of the main characters of Fairy Tail Zero. Before forming Fairy Tail, he was a greedy and selfish treasure hunter from the Sylph Labyrinth guild who sought to steal a sacred treasure from Mavis's home island. In time, though, Mavis helped bring out his better nature, and he became one of her dearest friends in return.
- Bad Liar: In Fairy Tail Zero, he tells Mavis that he is a botanist who came to Sirius Island to study the local plant life. She sees right through it and tricks him into spilling the truth by telling him about (ordinary) plants that are used to cure a (made up) disease on her island.
- Demonic Possession: Towards the climax of Fairy Tail Zero, Yuri gets taken over by the Sirius Jade's dark magic and fuses with a giant blue dragon skeleton, which then goes on a mindless rampage. It takes the ultra-powerful spell Law (the prototype to Fairy Law) to purge the dark magic from him while leaving him unharmed.
- Family Theme Naming: He has a Russian name just like his descendants.
- Fatal Flaw: Like many treasure hunters, he was driven by Greed and wouldn't always consider the consequences of his actions so long as he got his treasure, particularly the Sirius Jade. He had a history of falling headlong into traps because of this before, but it wound up costing him dearly when he refused to listen to reason after Mavis tried warning him of the jade's evil properties, thinking it was another lie so she could keep the treasure for himself. The sacrifice Mavis made to save him was big enough of a shock to help him shake off this aspect.
- Hot-Blooded: He'd make a convincing ancestor for Fairy Tail's resident hot-head Natsu if he weren't related to the Dreyars.
- I Owe You My Life: His whole reason for sticking by Mavis after the Sirius Jade debacle was so he could dedicate his life paying Mavis back for sacrificing her own age to save him.
- It's All My Fault: He felt tremendous guilt for stringing Mavis along in their adventure to claim the Sirius Jade so he could beat her to the punch. Otherwise, Mavis wouldn't have had to use a Dangerous Forbidden Technique that permanently stunted her physical growth to save his life when he became possessed by the treasure's evil energy. Mavis assures him, however, that she knew the consequences and had no regrets.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: He starts out perfectly willing to extort Mavis so long as it meant getting his hands on a treasure she was supposed to be protecting. On the other hand, he'd never go so far as to deliberately harm her, and he has a genuine sense of camaraderie with Precht and Warrod. Getting saved by Mavis helps iron out whatever negative traits he had before.
- Older Than They Look: When Yuri was in his teens, Mavis mistook him for a man in his 20s.
- Out-Gambitted: In Fairy Tail Zero, Yuri challenges Mavis to a "truth or lie"-type guessing game in order to get her to lead him to the Sirius Jade. One of the rules of their game is that neither of them can guess something about the other that they both have in common. Mavis outsmarts him by telling him he blinked 57 times since the game began, while she didn't blink even once. Since Yuri didn't keep track of his blinks and thus can't answer truthfully even if he guesses right, he's forced to admit defeat.
- Posthumous Character: He's long-dead by the time the main series starts, and is developed solely through flashbacks and Fairy Tail Zero.
- Shock and Awe: He used Lightning Magic just like his great-grandson Laxus.
- Strong Family Resemblance: He's the spitting image of his great-grandson Laxus with longer hair and eyelashes.
Voiced by: Masashi Hirose (JP), Yoshihisa Kawahara (JP – young), John Swasey (EN), Dave Trosko (EN – young)The second guild master of Fairy Tail, succeeding Mavis after her death. He left the guild to embark on a quest for knowledge upon naming Makarov his successor, but the answer he came across leads to the birth of the dark guild Grimoire Heart, with himself at its helm.For tropes relating to his role as Hades, see Fairy Tail Grimoire Heart.
- Adaptation Dye-Job: In the manga, the younger Precht has light blond hair and wears a black outfit. In his initial anime appearance, his hair is black and he has a white outfit. The Fairy Tail Zero adaptation fixes the hair, but keeps the lighter outfit.
- Badass Beard: He grew an extra-long wizard's beard as he became more and more powerful with age. He would eventually grow a Badass Mustache to compliment it after his Face–Heel Turn.
- Badass Normal: He's not a wizard when Fairy Tail Zero starts out, but is still just as Badass thanks to his proficiency with chain-blades.
- Blade Below the Shoulder: Before training to become a wizard, he'd fight using retractable chain blades fired from his sleeves.
- The Comically Serious: About the closest thing he gets to a comedic moment is his bug-eyed reaction to Mavis summoning a giant illusory wolf to interrogate a Blue Skull henchman.
- Eye Scream: His right eye gets shot out during his team's disastrous first encounter with the Blue Skull guild, resulting in his trademark Eyepatch of Power.
- Face–Heel Turn: The discovery that Zeref and Mavis's shared curse birthed a source of infinite magic power led Precht down a dark train of thought to where the source of all magic truly lay, eventually driving him to leave Fairy Tail and form one of the most powerful and influential dark guilds to claim that power for himself.
- Finger Bullet: His first mastered skill shown in the anime was firing beams of condensed magic energy from his fingertips.
- High Collar of Doom: His outfit covers the whole lower part of his face.
- Instant Expert: As shown in the anime, he was the first of his group to tap into his inner magic, and was praised by Zeref for his natural talent.
- Misunderstood Loner with a Heart of Gold: Mavis surmises this about him after observing his interactions with other people in the anime. He has others' best interests at heart, but his intimidating looks and lack of social skills lead many strangers to unfairly label him as a menace, and at one point a pervert.
- Not So Above It All: Despite his no-nonsense approach to his work, he has his own quirk in the form of an awkward naming sense. For instance, he unironically wanted the guild to be called the "Precht Brothers" before Fairy Tail was settled on, and he was quite disappointed when Mavis ignored his suggestion that the newborn Makarov be named "Pippoco".
- One-Man Army: Even without practicing magic, he could single-handedly take out an entire bar filled with ordinary thugs. Taking on a whole unit of wizards without his own magic, however, cost him his eye.
- Only Sane Man: He always reacts to his livelier teammates' antics with a straight face and disdain.
- Perpetual Frowner: His face is set in a permanent scowl noticeable even with half of it covered by his High Collar of Doom.
- Walking the Earth: He spent his time between his departure from Fairy Tail and Grimoire Heart's establishment traveling the world in search of answers behind the source of all magic and, ultimately, mystery of Fairy Heart.
Voiced by: Tessho Genda (JP), Hiroshi Shirokuma (JP – young), Garrett Schenck (EN), Cris George (EN – young)The fourth most powerful of the Ten Wizard Saints, ranking him among the Four Emperors of Ishgal. He uses Green Magic to control nature.
- Astonishingly Appropriate Appearance: His hairstyle, the shape of his face, and the wrinkles he's gained from age make him look much like a deciduous tree. It's pretty fitting considering his magic.
- Badass: By virtue of being one of the Four Emperors of Ishgal, his magic abilities are superior to those of some of Fairy Tail's strongest members.
- Badass Grandpa: He's presently well over 120 years old, not to mention one of the Four Emperors of Ishgal, who are revered as being so powerful, they can hardly be considered human.
- Be Careful What You Wish For: After being on the receiving end of a Curb-Stomp Battle by God Serena, he pleads to himself that somebody stop him before he reaches Fairy Tail, knowing that they're next on his list. And somebody does: Acnologia, who was attracted to the scent of draconic energy that God Serena was giving off.
- Do Not Go Gentle: Despite getting his ass kicked by God Serena and realizing that his time is very likely near, he decides to go down taking Serena with him. In fact, it's enough to get the other two Gods and Jura to pull a Heroic Second Wind and help him out.
- Fan Disservice: In the manga, Warrod climbs into a hot spring with Natsu and co. completely naked, to their revulsion.
- The Gadfly: He has an odd habit of telling nonsensical jokes and screwing around with his guests at the most unfitting of opportunities.
- Green Thumb: His Green Magic can turn even the most arid deserts into lush forests.
- Humble Hero: Despite being considered god-like among the Wizard Saints, he's very modest about himself. He even mentions just because he is on the top four in the continent, doesn't mean he is top four in the world.
- I Was Just Joking: He jokingly suggested that Gajeel join the Magic Council's law enforcement division after Fairy Tail disbanded, only to become distressed when Gajeel took him seriously and actually joined. He breathes a sigh of relief when Gajeel resigns to reform Fairy Tail.
- Mundane Utility: Despite him being among the four most impressive wizards on the continent, he still mainly uses his awe-inspiring powers for things such as gardening or transportation.
- Non-Action Guy: By his own admission, his Green Magic is not suited for battle, despite its immense power.
- Non-Standard Character Design: Even as a young man when he looks less plant-like, his design is pretty out of the ordinary with a rectangular head and no chin.
- Obi-Wan Moment: After having his ass thoroughly kicked by God Serena and knowing he may be taking his last breaths, he says that he's "ready to be with Yuri and Precht", but decides he'll go fighting and hopefully take God Serena with him.
- Plant Person: His tree-like appearance in the present gives off this vibe. He looked more ordinary when he founded Fairy Tail 105 years ago, though.
- Retired Badass: He retired from Fairy Tail many decades ago, though he comes out of retirement to join the Magic Council.
- Spell My Name with an "S": The Crunchyroll translation spells his name as "Warod Shirken".
- You Shall Not Pass: He and his fellow Gods (plus Jura) stand between Fairy Tail and former Wizard Saint God Serena. Try as they might, even the four of them combined are no match for him.