Sandbox: Fairy Tail Guild Masters
open/close all folders
Voiced by: Mamiko Noto (JP), Leah Clark (EN)The late founder and first master of Fairy Tail, who is buried on Sirius Island, Fairy Tail's sacred ground. She continues to watch over Fairy Tail as a ghost, though only those with the guild mark are able to see her.
- A-Cup Angst: In the fourth OVA, she stumbles onto a Furo Scene with many of Fairy Tail's other female members. Hilarity Ensues.
- The Ageless: Before her death, she remained stuck in the body of a 13-year-old since she cast an incomplete version of Law in Fairy Tail Zero, which halted her physical maturity.
- All-Loving Heroine: She's so loving and compassionate, she's the only known person able to befriend Zeref, at least for a time.
- An Astral Projection, Not a Ghost: The Mavis seen in the present is not a ghost, but an Astral Projection of her still living and immortal self, which is kept in stasis beneath Fairy Tail's guildhall.
- Awesomeness by Analysis: In the four days that the Grand Magic Games take place, she records and memorizes all the rival teams' stats and battles, and uses them to give Fairy Tail a strategy for victory.
- Bad Powers, Good People: Using an incomplete version of Law left her afflicted with the same Black Magic of Ankhselam that plagues Zeref: the more she values life, the more lives she is forced to take.
- Beware the Nice Ones: She is the sweetest and cleverest girl anyone has ever had the privilege of meeting, but she has no mercy for those who threaten the safety of humanity, especially if that someone is Zeref, her former friend.
- Big Good: As the founding master of Fairy Tail and the Good Counterpart to Zeref, the Big Bad, she automatically outranks the previous Big Good Makarov after her spirit leaves Sirius Island.
- Breakout Character: Mashima intended her to be a One Shot character who would unexpectedly save the guild from Acnologia on Sirius Island. Since then her popularity has skyrocketed, and she was elevated to Big Good status.
- Bunny-Ears Lawyer: She's childish, ditzy, and obsessed with fairies, but she's also a master strategist and has knowledge of all three of Fairy Tail's ultimate spells.
- Child Prodigy: She is an entirely self-taught Master of Illusion since the age of 6, and
- A Child Shall Lead Them: She was only 13 years old when she founded Fairy Tail. Considering her fellow guildmates were all young adults who went on to become some of the most powerful and respected wizards in history, this speaks volumes of Mavis's power and intelligence.
- Complete Immortality: Casting Law didn't merely halt her aging; it cursed her into an immortal just like Zeref.
- Curse Escape Clause: Like Zeref, Mavis was cursed by Ankhselam with black magic that steals others' lives the more she values life. She likely would've begun taking names left and right had she not been drafted into the Second Caravan Road War, which dulled her respect for life as wars usually do to anyone.
- Cry Cute: A Running Gag has Mavis bursting into tears whenever she feels she's done something wrong, be it her regret for choosing Precht as her successor to her strategy going up in smoke due to a miscalculation.
- Cute Ghost Girl: She's so carefree and friendly, it's easy to forget that she's an incorporeal being who only people with Fairy Tail's guild mark can see.
- Dangerous Forbidden Technique: The prototype of Fairy Law, then known simply as Law, essentially gives the caster complete jurisdiction over who lives and who dies. As a consequence, it permanently halted her physical growth when she used it to save her friends and all of Magnolia. This later turns out to be part of Ankhselam's curse, because the god of life and death doesn't take kindly to mortals toying around with this kind of magic.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Mavis lost her parents as a very young child, was taken in by a guild that treated her like a slave, and was even spurned by the guild master's daughter. When a war between a rival guild erupted and spilled over into the town where it was stationed, Mavis was left its only survivor.
- Death Glare: She gives one to Zeref, the undisputed king of Death Glares in the series, during their declaration of war at the end of the Grand Magic Games.
- Does Not Like Shoes: She's always seen barefoot. According to Fairy Tail Zero, this is because her old guild master never let her keep the shoes he gave her, and she simply got used to it.
- Elegant Gothic Lolita: Her main outfit is a frilly white dress. She also dolls up in a black dress in Fairy Tail Zero.
- Empty Eyes: Her eyes rarely reflect highlights by default.
- Faking the Dead: She was never dead. In fact, she can't die due to her being an immortal just like Zeref. Her grave on Sirius Island is a fake, and everyone was told she was dead in order to cover up Lumen Histoire's true nature.
- Friend to All Living Things: She is fond of the fauna that inhabit Sirius Island, and even manages to invoke this trope with her Illusion Magic as a kind gesture for Zeref. In a cruel twist, she winds up becoming an Enemy to All Living Things after getting cursed with the Black Magic of Ankhselam; as long as she cares about others, she will always be a threat to their lives.
- Friendly Ghost: She's still friendly, cheerful and always appears to aid members of her guild long after her death.
- Godiva Hair: Appears in many a Furo Scene with this, as does her naked, crystal-encased body beneath Fairy Tail's guildhall.
- Hair Decorations: Those wings on her hair.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Has light blonde hair and is easily one of the kindest, nicest characters in the series.
- Idiot Hair: A permanent cowlick on the very top of her hair. She's no idiot, though.
- Invisible to Normals: Only those who bear the Fairy Tail guild mark can see her while she's a spirit.
- Living MacGuffin: Being Lumen Histoire, or Fairy Heart as it is less commonly known, Zeref is willing to wage war on Ishgal to claim her.
- Master of Illusion: Before forming Fairy Tail, this is her primary magic, allowing her to create highly detailed animals, monsters, and soldiers that can fool all but the most Genre Savvy of people. She even manages to fool herself when she unknowingly creates an illusion of her best friend Zera to cope with the real Zera's death.
- A Mother to Her Men: Much like Makarov, she sees her guild as her family and will become fiercely protective of them if they're put in harm's way.
- My Greatest Failure: She never expected Precht to turn to The Dark Side when she chose him as master. Because of that, she blames herself for knowledge of Lumen Histoire leaking to Ivan.
- No Good Deed Goes Unpunished: Being the All-Loving Heroine she was, Mavis took pity on Zeref and became his Only Friend. In return, Zeref taught her and her allies magic that could save Magnolia from the dark guild Blue Skull—including a forbidden Black Magic spell that not only completely halted her physical growth, but also turned her into an immortal Walking Wasteland just like Zeref.
- Not Growing Up Sucks: Her physical maturity was halted after she used Law. She was never bothered by it until she found out she was actually completely immortal as a side effect of Ankhselam's curse.
- Not So Above It All: She first appears to be a dignified and mysterious figure, but is later shown to be just as quirky as the rest of the guild.
- Older Than She Looks: She was 26 when she died, but due to being The Ageless as a consequence of casting Law, she retains the appearance of a 13-year-old girl.
- Only Friend: To Zeref. Not only was Zeref the one who taught Fairy Tail's founding members their magic because of it, but throughout the entire main series and Fairy Tail Zero, Mavis is the only person that Zeref has ever been shown to allow to be in close physical proximity to him. Zeref even says that the time they spent together were his most cherished memories. She's also the only person who can truly relate to him, seeing as how she has the exact same curse as Zeref himself.
- Passing the Torch: Chose Precht as master of Fairy Tail. She has come to regret her decision due to his Face-Heel Turn.
- Pillar of Light: Fairy Glitter, which she presumably knows how to use since she gives Cana the spell twice.
- Power Floats: She's shown several times to be able to fly or hover, and she's one of the most powerful wizards in the series.
- The Power of Friendship: Weaponized; she uses the power of the guild members' faith and bonds between themselves to cast Fairy Sphere and protect them from Acnologia.
- Protagonist-Centered Morality: The ultimate spell that Zeref taught her, known as Law, a technique that destroys anything that the caster considers evil and saves all that is good, the "Absolute Judgement" magic. This explains how both Fairy Law and Grimoire Law would be developed.
- Rapunzel Hair: It nearly touches the ground.
- Red Baron: She is known as the "Fairy Tactician" due to her aforementioned Awesomeness by Analysis abilities.
- Sealed Good in a Can: Lumen Histoire, or Fairy Heart as it's officially known, is Mavis's physical body encased in crystal.
- Ship Tease: There's quite a bit of shipping going on between her and Zeref, from her Naked First Impression of him in Fairy Tail Zero to what she thinks is a Headbutt of Love.
- Sphere of Power: Fairy Sphere, one of the Three Great Fairy Magics, is a barrier powerful enough to completely deflect Acnologia's Breath Weapon. The downside is that it displaces time for those inside it.
- The Strategist: Her Awesomeness by Analysis abilities earned her the nickname "Fairy Tactician" during the Second Caravan Road War, since her strategies were the only reason her side won. She also comes up with a nearly foolproof plan for Fairy Tail to win the final contest of the Grand Magic Games based on battle data she has gathered throughout the tournament.
- Sympathy for the Devil: She immediately felt sorry for Zeref because of his Curse and befriended him during their first encounter, despite not recognizing who he was at the time. Even after learning his identity, she completely shrugged off the bad rumors about him because of his kindness. Much of that sympathy was lost when she discovered what kind of atrocities he was capable of, yet she still continues to harbor some pity for him while vowing to destroy him.
- Walk on Water: The members of Fairy Tail spot her standing in the middle of the ocean right before she raises Sirius Island out of the water.
- Wise Beyond Their Years: She may be a child at heart, having a lifelong dream of meeting fairies, but she shocks many older and more skilled people with her keen observational skills.
In Fairy Tail ZeroMavis is featured as the main protagonist of the spin-off manga Fairy Tail Zero. Before founding Fairy Tail, Mavis was a young servant girl to the Red Lizard guild on Sirius Island, which was wiped out by the rival guild Blue Skull, leaving her its only survivor. Seven years later, she discovers that Blue Skull has stolen the island's sacred treasure, the Sirius Jade, forcing her to team up with a band of treasure hunters in order to get it back.
- Barefoot Poverty: Imposed on her by old and cruel guild master, who decided she was undeserving of the boots he had bought her. Mavis had to go barefoot and soil her feet, but she eventually began to enjoy not wearing shoes and abandoned wearing them forever.
- Break the Cutie: At the age of 6, she loses her parents and is taken in by a guild of Jerkasses who bully her on a daily basis. However, she puts up with it all without crying until Zera, the Only Friend she manages to make, seemingly dies shortly after accepting her friendship.
- Cassandra Truth: She attempts to warn Yuri about the dangers of the Sirius Jade after it's absorbed so much dark energy under Blue Skull's ownership, but because of her knack to spin elaborate lies on the fly, he doesn't believe her until it's too late.
- Child Mage: She is only 13 years old in the story and is a talented illusionist.
- Conveniently an Orphan: Her parents are dead by the start of the series, and she is left to care for herself on Sirius Island after Red Lizard is decimated by Blue Skull.
- Dark Is Not Evil: She dolls herself up in a black lolita costume and dubs herself "Black Wizard Mavis" as a tribute to the kind yet gloomy stranger in the woods who trained her in magic. At the time, she didsn't realize her friend is the Black Wizard, Zeref.
- Fatal Flaw: Her overconfidence in her own abilities proves costly for her allies, leaving them hopelessly unprepared and outnumbered against Blue Skull.
- Friendless Background: She had no friends growing up, and was bullied by the only other girl her age whom she interacted with. That changes when she decides to befriend said bully.
- It's All My Fault: She blames herself for getting Yuri and his friends hurt during their first confrontation with Blue Skull, whom she vastly underestimated in a fight.
- Not-So-Imaginary Friend: Zera, her best friend of seven years before meeting Yuri, Precht and Warrod, is an illusion only she can see and hear because no one else was around to perceive her. The real Zera died during Blue Skull's attack on Red Lizard, and Mavis tricked herself into thinking Zera survived when she subconsciously created the illusion. Unlike most examples, Yuri and the others know Zera actually exists, but they don't have the heart to tell Mavis the truth.
- Oh Crap!: Her reaction when she realizes she can't simply bluff her way past Blue Skull's master with her illusory army of soldiers.
- Plucky Girl: She puts up with the monstrous treatment she gets from Red Lizard's master and members because her parents told her that if she ever cried, she would never get to meet the fairies.
- Sole Survivor: She is the only survivor of Blue Skull's attack on Red Lizard alongside her best friend Zera until it's revealed not even Zera survived.
- Work Off the Debt: Her parents were up to their eyes in debt to the Red Lizard guild, leaving Mavis to work it off after they passed away.
- Xanatos Gambit: Employs one during her Battle of Wits against Yuri in which they must guess something correctly about each other, declaring that she will win in one turn no matter who goes first. When Yuri goes first by saying, "That bird is your pet," she cuts him off and tricks him into saying, "That bird is you," because there was no rule saying they couldn't interrupt each other. For their do-over turn, Mavis tells Yuri he blinked 57 times since the game began, while she didn't blink even once,note which leaves Yuri stumped since he didn't keep track of his blinks and thus can't answer truthfully even if he guesses right.
Precht GaebolgThe second master of Fairy Tail, and one of the guild's founding fathers alongside Mavis, Yuri and Warrod. He embarked on a journey of discovery to find the original source of magic, but what he found ended up turning him into Hades, the master of the dark guild Grimoire Heart.
For more information, see Fairy Tail Grimoire Heart
Voiced by: Shinpachi Tsuji (JP), R Bruce Elliott (EN)The current master of Fairy Tail, a minuscule old man and son of Yuri Dreyar, one of Fairy Tail's founding fathers. The members of his guild often give him grief for the trouble they cause between him and the Magic Council, but he loves them as if they were all his children. His mastery over many forms of magic, including the size-increasing Giant magic, has earned him the title of one of the Ten Wizard Saints, who are widely regarded as the most powerful wizards alive. He has served as guild master more than any other, serving as its third, sixth, and eventually eighth master.
- All for Nothing: He is deeply ashamed to find that disbanding Fairy Tail to protect it from the Albareth Empire was a fruitless decision, since not only is Emperor Spriggan unwilling to negotiate a peace offering, but is actually the Big Bad, Zeref.
- Badass Mustache: He has well-defined whiskers that jut upright when he turns into a giant. He later grows a Badass Beard to compliment it after the second Time Skip.
- Badass in Distress: Being one of Fairy Tail's most powerful members, it happens from time to time:
- In the Fighting Festival arc, he is confined to the guildhall by Fried's Jutsu-Shiki preventing everyone over the age of 80 from participating in the Battle of Fairy Tail.
- In the Albareth Empire arc, his guild embarks on a journey to save him while he's held hostage by The Empire, with twelve of the most powerful wizards alive preventing him from just walking out.
- Break His Heart to Save Him: He does this to the entire guild after their war with Tartaros when he suddenly disbands Fairy Tail, leaving everyone confused, angry, or heartbroken. Only later do they learn that Makarov did it so they wouldn't be targeted by the Albareth Empire in case his peace negotiations with them fell through.
- Pint-Sized Powerhouse: Even without his Size Shifter abilities, Makarov can kick plenty of ass at his usual, diminutive size.
Voiced by: Masaki Kawanabe (JP), Brian Mathis (EN)One of the guild's veteran members. He uses a form of fire magic called Purple Flare, which creates flames that stick to objects instead of burning them. He temporarily replaces Makarov as master of Fairy Tail during his seven-year disappearance.
- Action Dad: His son Romeo is proud to have a Badass wizard for a father.
- Back from the Dead: He is among the wizards killed by Motherglare's hatchlings during the Grand Magic Games arc, but he's brought back to life courtesy of Ultear's Last Ages spell.
- Badass: He manages to take out 19 Vulcans on his own while Natsu and Lucy have some trouble against the one that finally got the better of him.
- Badass in Distress: One of the series' first stories shows him going missing for days on a job to slay Vulcans on Mt. Hakobe.
- Badass Longcoat: Always seen wearing a white longcoat.
- Demoted to Extra: He has a fair bit of prominence alongside the other secondary characters in the earliest portions of the manga, but he quickly falls out of focus after the Galuna Island arc. He regains some time in the spotlight when he becomes Fairy Tail's fourth master, with the anime giving him a whole Filler arc to show off his leadership chops, but he loses it as soon as Makarov retakes his old position.
- I Owe You My Life: He repays Natsu for saving him on Mt. Hakobe by covering for him while he goes to save Erza for being unlawfully tried for the collateral damage from the Lullaby arc. However, it's wasted when it turns out the whole trial is a farce. He later gets to repay his debt for real in a Filler arc by feeding Natsu with fire so he can defeat Daphne.
- Insistent Terminology: He insists on Wakaba calling him "Master" instead of by name.
- Manly Tears: After the Time Skip, the poor man breaks down in tears over the fact that he never once saw his son smile once in the seven years since Natsu and the others disappeared.
- Perma Stubble: His stubble turns into a full mustache after the Time Skip.
- Playing with Fire: His special brand of fire magic is immune to wind and water.
- Properly Paranoid: During the Key of the Starry Heavens Filler arc, he is sure to run a full background check on a girl who comes to Fairy Tail's front door carrying an Artifact of Doom and claims to be Lucy's distant relative. This eventually leads to the discovery that this visitor isn't who she says she is.
- Technicolor Fire: His Purple Flare magic is purple.
- Temporarily a Villain: In a Filler episode based on the "Fairy Woman" omake, Macao turns into a Kaiju-esque supervillain called "Mr. Purple" after straining his magic to turn into a younger version of himself and win back his estranged wife.
- Unexpected Successor: With Makarov and all his potential successors missing and presumed dead during the Time Skip, the role of master falls upon this otherwise minor character. To emphasize how far down the ladder Macao is, Makarov decides to let him keep the position for a laugh while he looks for a more suitable successor.
- Voluntary Shapeshifting: He demonstrates some skill in transformation when he turns himself into a tiny red lizard while pretending to be Natsu. In a Filler episode after the Time Skip, however, he is shown to have trouble transforming.
- "Well Done, Dad" Guy: Often Played for Laughs. The guy envies that his son takes after Natsu more than his old man.
Voiced by: Kazuhiko Inoue (JP), Jason Douglas (EN)The S-Class wizard regarded by everyone in the guild to be the most powerful member of Fairy Tail, full stop. As a testament of his strength, his Crush magic causes him to turn anything he touches to dust. He takes on jobs that have never been completed for tens or even hundreds of years, and thus only visits his guild a couple of years at a time for short periods of time. He is nominated by Makarov to become Fairy Tail's fifth master, but due to his extreme wanderlust, he shoves the position back onto Makarov.
This page has not been indexed. Please choose a satisfying and delicious index page to put it on.