Roleplay / Yu Gi Oh Duel Academy Second Year
This is the trope page for the Yu-Gi-Oh!
Duel Academy: Second Year play-by-post RPG, to be found here.
Signup thread is here
, and the discussion is here
. Character sheet is here
This RPG provides examples of the following tropes:
- Academy of Adventure
- Applied Phlebotinum: Whatever SWORD and SHIELD do, they do it with heaping amounts of this.
- Artificial Limbs: River designed them, and they also function as Duel Disks.
- Breaking the Fourth Wall: In the first RP, leaving the fourth wall standing was a sign that nobody was on.
- Brick Joke or Call Back: Remember Barnaby's gun?
- Crazy-Prepared: Cyrus and River, River moreso. At one point Cyrus rattles off a few things River tracks in his spare time, and the list included clues to a Physical God inhabiting the body of a five-year old, a large group of Cultists that wanted everyone dead, Eraser, Blake and his group, several large celestial bodies that shouldn't be there, maps of all tectonic activity in the past fifty years to prepare for a volcanic eruption, Cyrus, the fact that they had no Russian students last year and they have nukes, himself if he went too far, America being unstable due to all their crap-ass politics about the presidential elections, maps from seven weather satellites to watch for monsoons and hurricanes, and constant sensors to detect tsunamis.
- Foreshadowing: Raito and Kira are mentioned a few times in the first RP.
- Heel–Face Revolving Door: River. From good guy who doesn't care all that much to bad guy faking a Freudian Excuse to Heroic Sacrifice yeah.
- Let's You and Him Fight
- Plot Tumor: In the first RP, a couple things (though amazing neither vests nor Giant Germs, which were jokingly pointed out in the sign-up). In the second, the first day.
- Religion of Evil: The Cult in the first RP.
- Running Gag: Mostly averted. Vests, Giant Germs, and "had to eat Kuribohs to survive" were a few suggested, but none survived. (Guess they didn't eat the Kuribohs.)
- Serial Escalation: How many more crazy stunts can the blind guy pull off before he screws up and dies? How much money can he throw around?
- Tournament Arc: It's based on a Gaming and Sports Anime and Manga, of course there's one of these.
- Wham Episode: Kicks off just after the group arrives in Tokyo. Ryu almost dies by Michael's hand, Jerry suffers through fossilisation while still awake to feel it, Dreadroot's back in Barnaby's head, Giery dies in a fire (literally), the three Sacred Beasts and Exodia are on the loose. Oh, and Tsuki's dead.
- Wham Line: Anyway, " [Milton] said as he stood up, brandishing Barnaby's pistol and backing up from the kids, "you can lay the Exodia pieces on the ground and back away now."