About Wu Xing Interdimensional Fantasy AdventureWe join our adventurers as they are summoned forth from all corners of the multiverse into the land of Mazovia, a once free kingdom, now ruled with an iron fist my the mighty Elemental King. Our benefactor, Jaold Drotonroth, has given them the quest to join the resistance to defeat the Elemental King once and for all, but are our protagonists up to the task? Intrigue, action, and cheesy jokes abound in this interdimensional fantasy adventure, as our characters must tread carefully, fight well, and not get too distracted by the sidequests.
- Write what your character does like a collaborative story or choose-your-own-adventure book
- Please at least skim the FAQ (to avoid any misunderstandings about mechanics)
- Have Fun! :D
Setting OverviewInformation about the setting will be revealed when the RP starts and is ongoing. Sonzai was a goofball and put up the elemental system early, but the rest is secret for now. :P
open/close all folders
Notable NPC Characters
- Ati Xi - Powerful evocation-specializing mage,note and leader of the forward attack group. (Alpha) Very short, with long pink twin-tail hair and wearing purple robes - the only thing shorter than her height is her temper. (About 3 feet / 1 meter, and about one good insult, respectively.) Fiesty but effective, and a immigrant to the Elemental Kingdom, seeks to eliminate evil in the land and restore true peace.
- Grayvor Thordghrod - Experienced ranger and woodsman, and leader of the rear stealth group. (Beta) Standing about 7.5 feet (2.3 meters) and with the tool for any job, will always find friendly widlife, whether he wants to or not. Calm and collected, can be counted on to lead through thick and thin, and has dedicated himself to the mission to free his homeland.
- Jaold Drotonroth - Our summoner, and (former) head mage of Mazovia.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is there anything different about how my character works in this setting as opposed to their home setting?Almost everything works the same, except:
- Your character is granted the (optional) power of Critical Existence Failure-type damage. This means that they can take bullets, sword hits, and fireballs as long as their life force can hold them together. This works like hitpoints would, but no one in the setting actually has any hitpoints literally.
- Your character is also granted the ability to understand the common language (reading, writing, speaking, and listening fluently).
- Energy-type attacks from NPCs can hit intangible player characters (I'll mention this when I post NPC actions.)
- Attempting to perform an overpowered action (such as summoning a tank) may result in failure for that particular magical action. Ideally, this restriction will never affect players during the RP, it's just intended as a failsafe to keep balance.
- Otherwise, your characters do not obey the elemental/energy system or other restrictions of the setting.
In-Universe Elemental/Energy System
Caution. This only applies to in-setting natives such as NPCs and should not be used in character creation, or when writing your posts. See the FAQ below. (Except if your characters are exploiting the weaknesses of the system, etc.)In this world, Domatu, there are commonly accepted eight movements of energy/matter. These represent the fundamental nature of transformation and change that empowers existence and allows change, as opposed to a static existence.These are the five elements:
- Life: All things living as opposed to nonliving. This is the movement of growth, development, and evolution. Life is strong against Earth, weak against Metal, is strengthened by Water, and strengthens Fire. Example Life attacks: martial arts, plants, animals, etc.
- Fire: Reactions, converting material into heat and light. This is the movement of destruction and dissolution. Strong against Metal, weak against Water, strengthened by Life, strengthens Earth. Example Fire attacks: flamethrower, laser, magnifying glass, etc.
- Earth: Soil, rock, and solid ground. This is the movement of rigidity and defense. Strong against Water, weak against Life, strengthened by Fire, strengthens Metal. Example Earth attacks: boulders, earthquakes, etc.
- Metal: Metal implements, devices, and weapons. This is the movement of refinement and precision. Strong against Life, weak against Fire, strengthened by Earth, strengthens Water. Example Metal attacks: swords, bullets, axes, etc.
- Water: Liquid, water, and weather. This is the movement of change, erosion, and weather. Strong against Fire, weak against Earth, strengthened by Metal, strengthens Life. Example Water attacks: icicles, geysers, tidal waves, thunderstorms, etc.
- Qi: Pure and neutral energy. This is the reservoir that all other elements and energy derive from, the power and nature that binds the universe together. All elements and energies are expressions of Qi and forms of it. Because of this, Qi has no strengths or weaknesses to other forms. (Remember that Qi is said like 'chi')
- Divine: Energy of a divine nature, granted by the gods for their acts of creation or purification. Divine cannot attack divine, but is strong against Cursed. Divine is also very rare or restricted, and often powerful.
- Cursed: Energy of an anti-divine nature, driven by the corruption of the energy of the world. Cursed can attack cursed, but is weak against Divine. Cursed is still relatively rare, but is more common than Divine.
- Lifeforms: Lifeforms are living things, and as such are usually a combination of elements, with a life-force reserve of Qi. This allows them to take damage without showing external effects (hitpoint damage) and cast complex spells or other abilities. Vulnerable to energy-based attacks, and all physical attacks as well. Can choose to alter their form (by turning off hitpoint damage) if they so wish.
- Elementals: Elementals are composed of one or two elements, and as such do not posses a separate reserve of Qi. This makes them nearly immune to spirit-based attacks, but vulnerable to their weaknesses. Hitpoint-style damage does not apply to elementals.
- Spirits: Spirits are non-corporeal entities, and as such are entirely composed of energy with no physical elements. This allows them to be intangible (cannot touch or be touched) and are nearly immune to physical/elemental attacks, but are vulnerable to energy-based attacks. They can also cast spells or abilities, and have hitpoint damage.
- Other types may show up, but I don't want to give everything away. :P
More Setting Information
More information about the setting will be revealed when the RP starts and is ongoing.
Example TroperJames picked up the staff and threw it at the monster.Preparing a spell simultaneously, he performed the arcane motions, as a small red sphere was emitted from his hands. This is his fireball spell, when it hits a solid object, the sphere explodes in a ball of fire."Take that!" he said. I hope it's enough, as Maria is still down for the count, he thought.Sonzai (GM)The monster unsuccessfully dodged, and was engulfed by the flames of the fireball. In an act of desperation, it yelled out a hollow scream, and hurled a boulder at Maria, attempting to eliminate at least one of its enemies.A Different Example TroperMaria, still lying on the ground, was unable to dodge, but managed to hold up a shield charm at the last moment. A shimmering energy field surrounded her, blocking the boulder and turning it to dust."James, it's almost down, hit it harder!" she said, too exhausted to move.
- A Tankard of Moose Urine: The tavern where the players meet to split up, The Moldy Armadillo, is a good example of this type of bar.
- Chase Scene: Ends up being a non-traditional example as , ; . And , but , .
- Elemental Embodiment: Some of the elementals the players fight, such as in or .
- Elemental Rock–Paper–Scissors: In force for the setting-native elementals and elemental-based magic, but Averted for the players, as since they come from their own universes, they don't use the Wu Xing system.
- Fantasy Kitchen Sink: Not quite everything is present, but a large number of fantastic creatures, settings, and races exist.
- Genre-Busting: Inevitable when characters are pulled from their home settings around the multiverse to participate.
- Infinity +1 Sword: Shows up in the . However, for the players to get this, and , they have to travel through the , which includes a , a , and a . Made even worse by the fact that the sword is only usable by . Arguably, the and could count too.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: Not only is there a whole world for the setting, but apparently half the entire RP forum decided to sign up. With multiple characters.
- Magitek: Prevalent in the setting, in the forms of , , , , , and . Also in and .
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover
- Stuff Blowing Up: Many of the magical powers revolve around this, also a favorite pastime of Ati Xi.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Probably abused during the fight with , at least for the
- Translator Microbes: The player characters are granted the power to understand the common language by the summoning spell.
- Unexpected Gameplay Change: Shows up multiple times in the . Arguably also present for the in-setting NPCs when confronted with the interdimensional adventurers.