Roleplay: Virtually Reality
About a month ago, a free copy of this game was delivered to your doorstep. A small, independent gaming company produced an MMO along with their own accompanying virtual reality technology; they're local, apparently, and basically everyone in the city got the exact same bundle on their doorstep. It hasn't even gone on sale, yet. It's 'still in beta', is what they're saying, and you've all essentially been given the chance to be the ones to test it. You don't think anyone outside the city has even heard of it, yet. You're no idiot. You know it was a suspiciously awesome thing to happen to you.
But, hey, you've been playing it for a month, and so far...it's pretty fucking cool.
- The Most Dangerous Video Game
set within the universe of The Fear Mythos
). A novelization has been written, without the Fear Mythos aspects, release date TBA.
In the Play By Post
version, you are Alexander Heron
; a growing boy of 22 who, in-game, goes by Wingspan
. You've been gaming with these people for the last month:
Following the game, a sequel
is currently in the works (located here
), featuring a new cast.
Please note that this contains trigger warnings
, listed in the spoiler tag: Sexual assault, self-harm, infant mortality, gore.
Tropes displayed in Virtually Reality are:
- Asshole Victim: Knifebaby.
- Bad Ass: Hellblazer.
- Body Horror
- Break the Cutie: Whiteflower is probably hit hardest by this trope.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Hellblazer is very fond of this trope.
- Downer Ending: Overlaps with Pyrrhic Victory. The protagonists don't 'win', but neither do the antagonist(s).
- Meaningful Name: Heron, going by Wingspan in-game. A couple of other players chose their avatar names this way, as well.
- In the Mythos version, Whiteflower's becomes obvious, for those familiar with the modus operandi of The Smiling Man.
- The name of the game itself, 'The World Beyond the Doors', is the first clue what's really going on in the game.
- The Most Dangerous Videogame
- Moral Event Horizon: For Heron, during the quest Wanderlust.
- Pyrrhic Victory: Pretty much every quest.
- G.I.R.L.: Wings plays using a female avatar. You later find out that Newts is the reverse; a girl, playing a male online.
- Weirdness Censor: On Whiteflower, during Darling Valentine. Becomes Glamour Failure when she's forced to collect the last 'flower', and she starts seeing things for what they are; that each flower is a human heart.
- What The Hell, Heron?
Would you like to quit the game? Y/N.