If it feels like he's staring right at you... HE IS!
Since the beginning of time
, the forces of Order and Chaos having been playing a long game for the fate of the Omniverse
, the sum total of every Universe both "real" and "unreal"
In some Universes, the game erupts into all out war
. In others, it's little more than a friendly competition
. Sometimes the pendulum swings in Order's favor, then in Chaos', then right back around again. Ultimately though, neither side has ever been able to actually win the game
Which is just as well, because if either side were to completely eradicate the other, the game would end. And the game... is existence itself
.The Spectacular Omniverse
, as the name implies, began as a spin-off of The Spectacular Gargoyles roleplaying community
on the question-asking site Formspring.
Thanks to a collaboration between Thomeheb
, Dr. Anton Sevarius
, The Terrible Tinkerer
, and Prospero all of which was ultimately orchestrated by The Light from behind the scenes
, a "Trans-Universal Gateway" was opened in October 2011 that allowed the various ethics-deficient scientists
to access other Universes in order to steal technology and genetic material.
However, what they discovered was far greater than they bargained for: a vibrant cosmos teeming with life; the life of every single story that has ever been told, both fictional and nonfictional
. From Discworld
to The Legend of Zelda
to My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic
, there appears to be few if any limits as to the worlds accessible by the Gateway.
Today the Roleplay
spans dozens of connected Universes, each with their own casts of heroes and villains. A master list of all the characters can be found here
Provides Examples Of:
- All Stories Are Real Somewhere: The central conceipt of the RP. Essentially, every single story told on Earth-0 (i.e. the world on which the players live) creates a new Universe. Every single one. Books, films, television shows, video games, fanfiction, bedtime stories... all of it is real somewhere.
- God Needs Prayer Badly: However, they won't automatically stay that way without "Watchers" (i.e. fans) supporting the stories on Earth-0. A story that loses its popularity becomes dangerously vulnerable to the man in white.
- Although Reepicheep has recently indicated that it's far more complicated than that.
- Animated Actors: For the post part, Worlds based on video games seem to operate under the rules of Wreck-It Ralph, with characters aware of their status as game characters and acting accordingly. However, this "Meta-Awareness" is not omniversal, the explanation being that Lords of Order for Worlds with particularly nasty villains (such as The Legend of Zelda or Metroid) would prefer that said Big Bads stay as ignorant of the players as possible.
- Unfortunately, this plan doesn't preclude other individuals from telling them just that...
- Anyone Can Die: Plot Armor only goes so far when one of the Big Bads eats Universes as casually as most people drink tea. Casualties so far include Marcus Daimon, a number of unfortunate Pokémon, and the entire Universe of American Dragon: Jake Long.
- Darker and Edgier: Given the extreme Fantasy Kitchen Sink involved, many worlds are Played for Drama far more extensively than they tend to be in their respective canons. While the comedy does not disappear from any of them, it gets pretty amusing when everyone from Darkwing Duck to Mario to The Powerpuff Girls are involved in combatting the End of the World as We Know It.
- Just to drive this point home, the RP contains accounts for both Dexters. Both played with near-equal seriousness. Yeah. Let that sink in for a moment.
- Early-Bird Cameo: Princess Celestia and Princess Luna first showed up in passing long before their accounts did, as subjects of silent observation for the Auditors. Unsurprisingly, they do not approve of what they see.
- Encyclopedia Exposita: The Auditors' dossiers on the various Lords of Order they have observed. Given the Auditors'... unique take on things, they can be a pretty engrossing read.
- Enemy Mine: Arguably the ongoing collaboration between Tails, Dr. Eggman, and Dr. Wily... although to be fair, Eggman and Wily have been going to Bad-Anon for a while now.
- The Fourth Wall Will Not Protect You: The world the players exist on is designated Earth-0...which, yes, is entirely part of the Omniverse. If it goes, so do we.
- Taken Up to Eleven with the man in white, who is entirely aware of the fact that he is an RP character, and indeed often addresses his player directly as his "Voice." According to him, it's the man that controls the player... not the other way around.
- Legion of Doom: Tash is putting one together of malevolent Lords of Chaos, which the man in white has chosen to nickname his "Chaos Posse."
- Massive Multiplayer Crossover: The entire point of the RP.
- Order Versus Chaos: As the opening quote implies and in keeping with its origins, one of the overall themes of the RP is that neither Order or Chaos have a monopoly on good or evil. The Lords of Order range from benign Multiversal Guardians to outright Omnicidal Maniacs. Likewise the Lords of Chaos range from unspeakable Eldritch Abominations hellbent on spreading destruction and madness wherever they tread, to (mostly) harmless pranksters who just want to "liven up" their home Universes.
- Shout-Out: Honestly, it's probably easier to list what hasn't been referenced at some point or another. In addition to what's been depicted directly, throwaway references have been made to everything from Magic: The Gathering to Mass Effect to The Neverending Story.
- Villainous Breakdown: The man in white had a pretty damn epic one immediately after losing his best chance yet to devour the World of The Spectacular Gargoyles.