This is not the world you have left behind-what shall you choose to be?The Collision of Worlds
It was The End of the World as We Know It
- the keepers of the multiverse decided to end it all (possibly For the Evulz
) - deities called Portal Alpha and Omega
. Omega died under mysterious circumstances, leaving Alpha in charge and Alpha is not a nice god. Thankfully
, there are other, lesser Portals who were allowed to create their own universes to save as many people as they could
, each named after a letter of the alphabet.
Each dimension is a "gamma" named after their respective Portal and contains people of the same temperament, all except for Gamma-X (Portal Breach
), ruled by the illustrious Portal-X the Wise. He just wants to save people, deserving
, and have a good time. Some settle down and make names for themselves, whereas some do not and fade into anonymity
The citizens of "The Breach" (most people live on the main planet) are of a wide variety, from Evil Emperor Zurg
, to Link and Impa
, to Chell and Wheatley
, and... you get the idea
It is a play-by-post RPG forum complete with an in-character "chatbox" for realtime roleplaying and contains examples of:
- Action Girl - Tons. Some are more Lady of War types, and some are simply Bad Ass Normals, but either way you see it, the women of Portal Breach do not sit around during a fight.
- Aesop Amnesia - Not every character acts in accordance to the trial they take to return to the land of the living after they're resurrected.
- Affably Evil - Evil Emperor Zurg, Dr. Drakken, among others.
- Bad Ass - A hell of a lot of people, actually. Most notably the girls. See Action Girl above.
- Beige Prose - On occasion, mostly when users encounter severe writer's block. Partially averted in that there are minimum word counts for posts.
- There are some roleplayers who are notorious beige prose writers. As in, they only post a few words.
- Big Bad - Most plots have their own one of these.
- Big Damn Heroes - Unavoidable during plots...
- The weirdest example is during the Halloween Plot: Lenny the cat gave Glitch-X the finishing blow.
- Bigger Bad - Alpha.
- Calling the Old Man Out - To Vlad's surprise. Oh, and the Halloween plot when Zurg did it to his parents too.
- Cross Player - A lot of players on Portal Breach play characters of the opposite sex (but it's when the guys have girl-exclusive characters that you should start worrying).
- Cursed with Awesome - The vampires, for one.
- Darker and Edgier - The whole world is like this for a few, though Lighter and Softer for others. Depends on how you look at it.
- Dark Is Not Evil - Anyone who's supposed to be evil but has a heart of gold.
- Dark Secret - The truth behind the second Dani's disappearance. Zurg hired Cailia and Barry to kill her off, with Jana's help (who just so happened to be Dani's ex). She led Dani into an ambush, let the other two beat her, then dealt the finishing blow by setting her on fire. Cailia then delivered Dani's head to Zurg, which he now uses as an animated puppet to parrot whatever he wants.
- Death Is Not Permanent - When a character dies, they go through a trial in the Pool Of Souls and regain their life. However, if you do not take any trials and run out of lives, then the character is sent to Data Purgatory. No word yet on what happens there...
- Deconstruction - To the point of Deconstructor Fleet.
- Designated Villain - Both used and averted. People like Dr. Drakken are all happily and obviously villains. In contrast, Barry and the Evil Emperor Zurg actually do things. See Dark Secret above.
- Derailing Love Interests - During the course of his relationship with Aya, Marcus went from being a Noble Demon literally to a Clingy Jealous Guy. Other examples include Dani with Jana, and T-800 with Anna.
- The Emperor - Zurg, naturally. He's also an Evil Overlord and a Big Bad (and currently the biggest Big Bad around), but has a softer side when it concerns Jo.
- Evil Laugh - Zurg, Dr. Drakken both have one.
- Expanded Universe - We have that too. It happens when you have Loads and Loads of Characters.
- Female Gaze - Somehow, it's only the WOMEN who notice the chest size of other female characters.
- Foe Yay - See Crack Pairing on the YMMV page.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend - Usually averted when a character mysteriously disappears.
- For Science! - Numerous characters, such as Washu...
- Gadgeteer Genius - Jo, Washu, Grodus... the list goes on.
- Grey and Gray Morality - The Majority of Portal Breach's citizens.
- Gilded Cage, Fantastic Nature Reserve - The true nature of the Gammas is a combination of these...
- Halfway Plot Switch - A very common occurrence when major plots happen.
- Hate Plague - The effect of Mr. Dark's influence made the citizens of Portal Breach bring out their worst colors, more so seen in Vampires and other entities.
- Humanoid Aliens - We have 'em!
- Interspecies Romance - Happens more often than you think.
- Jerk Ass - Most of the Portals, especially Portal-G and Portal-O.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold - More than a few examples, the most notable of them being Zurg. Because even though he's a Big Bad, he's got a soft spot for Jo.
- Jerk with a Heart of Jerk - And we've got these too, regardless of what certain RPers and characters may think...
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall - Usually seen in posts when the player's wit and sarcasm creeps in.
- Light Is Not Good - And on the opposite end of above, we've sometimes got this too.
- Like a Badass out of Hell - It's not technically hell, BUT... Everyone who died in the recent Reformat plot. They got to come back whilst riding the goddess Omega, as she rose from the depths of the Pool of Souls to challenge her counterpart.
- Mind Rape - Happened to Zurg.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero - Only happens on occasion.
- A big one during the Glitch-X Halloween Plot. Glitch-X demanded that everyone tell him their guilts and fears. They very reluctantly did. Turns out, admitting their fears and guilts freed Glitch-X from his chains and allowed him to attack everyone as he wished. Woops.
- Then there was killing Portal X at one point during the Reformat plot...
- Not Using the V Word - Bloodscream, for all that he has the characteristics of one, is NOT a vampire.
- Odd Friendship - Happens a lot when you have a lot of diverse characters.
- Only Sane Man - Portal Breach can get a bit quirky at times, as can its citizens, usually when the fourth wall suffers. Notable sane people include Kev, Lawrence, Rao, and Jo (although they have their crack moments too) and a few others.
- Our Angels Are Different - Uriel and Jherrek.
- Our Demons Are Different - Cailia and Prixlezub who's a car demon. We also have Diablo, though he's a bit more standard.
- Pet the Dog - There are several examples available, but the most common one involves cats. No matter the Character Alignment, most of the people on Portal Breach love cats. In fact, abusing a cat is a sure-fire way to become The Scrappy, as Frankie and Father Anderson can certainly tell you.
- Physical God - Portal-X and most of the other deities, though he only pops in occasionally for shits and giggles or during plots.
- Plot Irrelevant Villain - Because there are so many people who call themselves villains when they don't really do anything evil (or if claim they do, it's always off-screen).
- The Pollyanna - A rare few, Kev, Jo (usually).
- Put on a Bus - How else does one explain players disappearing for months only to reappear again afterwards?
- Random Number God - Ours is so infamously and utterly sadistic that we've given it a name just so we can curse at it properly . . . Diceor hates EVERYONE.
- Read the Freaking Manual - Not surprisingly, some roleplayers just can't seem to understand simple instructions...
- Really 700 Years Old - Zurg (254), Washu (20,000/old as the universe), plus many more.
- Ridiculously Human Robots - Lawrence, Proxy and all the Cybertronians.
- Sliding Scale of Fourth Wall Hardness - Currently standing at Semipermeable; crack is getting just a LITTLE old...
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork - Good god, the Phazon plot...
- Zombie Apocalypse - A plot that took place around Christmas. Everyone got better.