Roleplay / Persona Heaven
It's another beautiful day in Nikawa and you get ready for school. News of people being found dead on their beds or bodies being sometimes found relatively intact on the street are becoming more common lately. There's a site that speaks about some sort of Dream Nikawa
, where monstrous shadows lurk during night.
One night you find yourself in a strange blue teahouse where a big-nosed old man tells you about a certain ability you have awakened through your bonds with people.
Good news is, you have awakened the power of Persona.
Bad news is, you are not the only one by a long shot. And not everyone is quite as noble or sane as you.
Persona Heaven is a popular Play-By-Post
game that has gone through one season already. As the title implies, it is based upon the Persona
series. It is set in the vast city of Nikawa, which is divided into numerous districts: Hirasaka, Aoba, Igahara, Noukonku, Sakiyama, Kanzan, and Noriyama. Alternatively, once you awaken your Persona you'll be allowed into Dream Nikawa, the equivalent of a sandbox Persona Dungeon. So what will you do? Reach out to the truth or live in blissful ignorance? Save or conquer?
You can find the site here.
The original board was taken down on Dec 18, 2013, since then it has been moved to the current board.
This roleplay provides examples of the following tropes:
- Aborted Arc: While Events and Admin-created arcs are mostly finished, one can find some user threads with "Part One" written and no Part Two to be found.
- Ambiguously Brown: Jhonathan Diaz.
- Anyone Can Die: Or, specifically, any member may ask that one or both of their characters be killed.
- Arc Words:
- "Thou art I... I am thou..."
- "The Future Is Dark."
- The Big Damn Kiss: Between Reizo and Yuki in "Purpose, Meaning, and... Happiness?".
- Big "NO!": When Jhonathan sees a Shadow kill someone trapped in the Dark World, this is his reaction.
- Bilingual Bonus: The name of the school all the RPCs attend is Tsubasa Academy. Tsubasa means "wings".
- Bus Crash: Rest in peace, Akira Seta, Izumi Aiyanna, and Yoshino Musashi.
- Put on a Bus: Any character that hasn't been used in several months will get put in the Frozen thread.
- City of Adventure: Nikawa.
- Comicbook Time: Double Subverted. Time does pass, but nobody moves up in grades.
- Custom Uniform: Demonstrated by several characters.
- Dark World: Dark Nikawa.
- Department of Redundancy Department: Meta example, but the same Persona is listed as claimed by the same person twice in the "Available Arcana/Face and Persona Claim" thread.
- Depending on the Writer: Largely whether or not it takes place in the same universe of the Persona games. Or in a universe of its own.
- Despair Event Horizon: A favorite theme of Dungeon Master umbraflamma. If you don't plan on breaking your character just yet, do not request him as a Dark Nikawa DM.
- Eldritch Location: Dream Nikawa. Complete with barren buildings and ominous skies, it has a striking resemblance to the depiction of Hell in Constantine's movie.
- Exactly What It Says on the Tin: Whether you refer to it as Dark Nikawa or Dream Nikawa, that is the case. It's a dark version of Nikawa that exists in people's dreams.
- Expy: Of numerous characters from the main series. To date: a few gay gangsters with a striking resemblance in personality to Kanji Tatsumi, a Kid Detective or two, and many others. Recently, a dual-wielding ambiguously brown sword user with a smart mouth. The problem has gotten so bad, that the admins have officially stated that they will refuse to approve any characters that are blatant ripoffs of existing characters in other media any longer.
- Fighting Spirit: The basis of entire magic system.
- Grand Theft Me: Introducing the horrifying Lemur shadows. They incapacitate their victim and take over the NPC's body, making it the material of a Resident Evil boss.
- Harsher in Hindsight: Meta example, but the head admin ArchaicSong made a crack about breaking up Reizo and Yuki during the most recent event. Then, due the actions during the event, the two's Social Link goes into Reverse status. Everyone agreed about it in the chatbox.
- Imagine Spot: Just after she has her Big Damn Kiss with Rei, Yuki has one where she's the protagonist in a Shōjo manga during the romantic climax.
- Kill 'em All: The "The Yanderes Snapped: We're Screwed" thread. No PC fatalities per se, but Masato and Haru's rampage caused a significant drop in the Tsubasa Highschool population.
- Limit Break: The Fusion Skills work like this. Your character can perform a powered attack at the cost of forfeiting the ability to summon their persona for the rest of the night.
- Little "No": Yuki's reaction to Luna's death.
- Mugging the Monster: This is how the thread "The Yanderes Snapped. We're Screwed." thread began.
- Mythology Gag: The "Game of Kings" thread. A group plays the King's Game from Persona 4
- Another group does it again in "Kings, Queens, and Embarrassment!"
- Loyal Phlebotinum: The Persona cards only work for their intended users.
- One of Us: Some users are also tropers, hense the page was made.
- The reason for the page's makeing was that Persona Rebirth had a trope page and not them.
- The Power of Friendship: Social Links aren't there just for the show. Ranking up gives some bonus to a character such as the ability to withstand an incapacitating blow. At level 10 an All Out Attack is unlocked. Alternatively, against the eldritch abominations and impending mindbreak that comes in Dark Nikawa having strong social links are among the very few things that will allow a character to stay sane.
- Rage Quit: The Tamashi twins pull this during their king's game. Also Screw This, We're Outta Here.
- In a meta way, many members left the site when it was announced that it was going to go through a reboot, which has had a ripple effect, since their departures sparked others wanting to leave.
- Running Gag: Several, both in-universe and in the chatbox.
- RP: If Jhonathan is involved, expect misunderstandings. And at least one tsundere character to show up.
- Chatbox: Do not attempt to troll BunnyKen. It's like trying to sell ice cream in the north pole. He is also prone to screencapping things people have said and using them out of context in the worst possible way.e."
- Almost everyone saying Reizo and Jhon (or Reizo and Lysander) are a couple, followed by Rei cursing and swearing up and down that the character is asexual only to be reminded, "Rei, Yuki?" which is often followed by, "Oh... right."
- TehAdrenalinePickle usually enters the chatbox in magical, insane ways. Some of these ways include leading cavalry charges through the chatbox, breaking in through skylights, and acting out of nature and simply walking in and sitting down like a normal person.
- On a similar note, Yin Yang Bomb often exits the chatbox in weird ways. To date, s/he has thrown down a smoke bomb, dissolved, and exploded, among others.
- Off-topic threads
- Entering the string "Mark danced crazy!" once per page in "100+ things you've learned playing Persona"
- Shout-Out: Plenty, specifically to various anime and games.
- Hakuro recently added a thread called "catch the fish: THE GOLDEN." Obviously about the Updated Re-release of Persona 4
- Hirakata Yuki was reading Ouran High School Host Club when she first entered Tsubasa.
- The doctors in charge of Ill Boy Emilio Hirasawa, Toshiko Umezawa and Hidetsugu "The Ogre" Moriyama, are named for creature cards from Magic: The Gathering.
- Another after the reboot is with the continuation of Things stuff and Things thread, which starts of with a recap of what had happened before the reboot, then ended of with "... and now the continuation." followed by the Atop the Fourth Wall opening.
- Scary Shiny Glasses: Subverted when Yuki Hirakata awakens to her Persona. Any potential scary points were nulled by the fact that her knees were almost knocking together.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: What Reizo decides when things get crazy during Hakurocon, or inactive during "The Cafe."
- Snow Means Love: When Reizo and Yuki got together in "Purpose, Meaning, and... Happiness?", it began snowing.
- Stealth Pun: Yuki Hirakata's main attack spells are water based. Word of God says she prefers painting with water colors.
- Though not the funniest pun, and possibly not even a pun at all, TehAdrenalinePickle's two characters both contain the phrase "Ransu" in them(IE: His first RPC having the last name of Ransu and his second RPC having the first name of Furansu).
- Summon Magic: It's a Persona game, after all.
- The Heartless: The Shadows, of course. Given how they come about, they're almost identical to the original Heartless. The aftermath of being defeated by one is, however, not as merciful or sightly.
- Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Destiny: The King of the Hill Gameing Thread. So far the Reset Button Has been pushed once on this thread.
- Wake Up, Go to School, Save the World
- Weapon of Choice: Persona Weapons, arms that appear to the users in Dream Nikawa, granted by their Persona. Everyone has their own, with a slightly surprising variety beyond just katanas and bows.
- What Could Have Been: Originally, the Tamashi twins were apparently going to be a Sibling Team.
- "Where Are They Now?" Epilogue: The "Your Character's Future" thread, where some of the players have even put in Multiple Endings.
- World of Badass: Pretty much every player character has a Badass moment.
- World of Buxom: An Inverted Trope. according to both profiles and chatbox discussion, most of the female characters actually have rather small chests.
- World of Ham: Quiet characters are few and far between.
- Yandere: Masato and Haru are the Yandere couple. So much as say hello to one of them and you're risking your life.
- Despair Event Horizon: The second season event thread called Let The Games Begin started as the usual dungeon thread until character Reizo Takeda decided to leave one Luna behind. Luna was the only blind girl character in the forum and was generally cheery, optimistic and nice. The roleplayer Katzparty was almost a living counterpart to the character. When the dungeon boss grabs her by the throat, announces the group's failure to rescue her and stabs her, kicking her body to the distraught teammates. The real sting came with the first reaction post, written by Prowiasto and pertaining the smartmouthed, easygoing gamer Jhonathan Diaz. The post reflects just how broken her death has left him in painful detail and ends with him cradling the corpse and telling himself she's just asleep, effectively mindbroken. The Dungeon Master cried. Cute Videos were needed in the chatbox.