Roleplay / Mortal Wills, Mortal Hearts
A multi-fandom Play By Post
Forum Game, partly inspired by A Game of Gods
and run by its GM Ominae
, Mortal Wills, Mortal Hearts
is your standard mish-mash of characters from around the multiverse, but with a twist - they are all mortal, and possess no special powers - other than their wits, weapons and their will to survive. Armed with these, they must take down a multiverse-destroying entity known as The One
- before all of reality is destroyed. For the IC thread, head here
. The signup thread is here,
and the discussion thread is here.
The recap is available here.
As of August 2012, the RP is now dead.
This work provides examples of:
This is not
for tropes detailing a character's appearance or personality. Refer to the character page
for their respective tropes.
- Anyone Can Die: Possibly at 100% since the party is made up of normal beings.
- And the party has its first casualty with Mason.
- Attack! Attack! Attack!: The party was ambushed in the Hidden Valley. Granted that they needed to secure the important artifact from The One's forces.
- Kirei did this when he fought Falchion.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: Green Arrow. He does vigilante work in his spare time.
- Big Boss too. There's a reason he's considered the greatest soldier of the twentieth century as he's the founder of MSF turned Outer Heaven.
- Authority in Name Only: Green Arrow. Since he's not in Star City, his mayoral position may or may not work with the missions and all.
- Awesome McCool Name: Some of the group members were talking to each other on what name does the party go by. So far, Mason identifies the group as Multiversal Special Operations Group, part of the Central Intelligence Agency in the FEAR universe.
- Badass Normal: Everyone!
- Badass Cape: Turin has one, not to mention Robin of the Teen Titans.
- Big Bad: The One.
- But Thou Must: Most of the peeps when Churchill recruits them to fight against The One.
- Call a Rabbit a "Smeerp": Asterix and Turin for instance call small arms as "Clubs". Sokka thinks that they're all throwing weapons.
- Cassandra Truth: Havoc telling the Point Man that he dropped a non-working Claymore near his feet during a gunfight with Replica soldiers.
- Child Soldiers: Sokka.
- CIA Evil, FBI Good: Mason, a CIA agent, is a lot more morally ambiguous then the rest of the cast. Big Boss is former CIA with the FOX unit, and has expressed distaste for agency methods.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: The One speaks in red text. Mercury speaks in blue text. Black or bold text is only for conversation that takes places via electronic means.
- Crazy-Prepared: Robin.
- Cold-Blooded Torture: A Replica has the misfortune of getting in Mason's hands.
- Cool Sword: Turin's Gurthang and Sokka's Space Sword, both made from Thunderbolt Iron.
- Did You Just Punch Out Cthulhu?: When the party fights Smaug.
- The Dragons: The Emissaries of The One.
- Elite Mook: The Replica Heavy Armor. In The One's forces, Shadow Company takes the lead.
- Everyone Calls Him Barkeep: The Merchant. Insists on being called that way.
- Fish Out of Temporal Water: Around half of the party members are unaccustomed to the modern scenery of Pripyat. Wong Fei-Hung after appearing in the FEAR universe.
- Friendly Sniper: Deuce and Mason.
- Getting Crap Past the Radar: Hercule Satan.
- Good Guns, Bad Guns: Averted. The Russian mercenaries have non-Russian small arms. The Point Man and Replica Forces in the FEAR world are armed with Heckler & Koch small arms alongside a SPAS-12 and a few Armacham-made ones like the Type 7 particle beam rifle and the HV Penetrator.
- Gi-Soo is armed with a G36C and a Type 62 (North Korean-made RPD) with a Caracal F pistol.
- Mason's armed with a mix of Cold War and Modern-based small arms.
- Theon has an MP5A3 taken from a dead Russian mercenary. Later takes a Steyr ACR from a dead Rock Soldier and an unused SPAS-12.
- Sokka gets Gi-Soo's CAR-15 after the latter got his G36C.
- Big Boss has a Mk22 Mod 0 "Hush Puppy" with tranquilizer rounds, a silenced Colt M653 M16A1 Carbine (An AR-15 derivative) and an M1911 custom with a silencer. This is subverted by the fact that Big Boss is a mercenary. Double Subverted in that he's also a good guy.
- Deuce has an SR-25 (AR-15 derivative, good) and an MP7A1 (HK gun, bad).
- Havoc begins to take Armacham-made weapons for his personal arsenal.
- Hercule takes a Remington ACR from a dead Shadow Company soldier.
- Mitsurugi, on the other hand, thinks all guns are bad, but he's okay with rocket launchers.
- Improbable Weapon User: Asterix. Thanks to him, he was able to get a merc manning a technical's HMG down.
- A bit on Kirei. He uses Black Keys, throwing swords that is.
- Intrepid Merchant: Sylphie. The Merchant too...
- Inescapable Ambush: The party after getting inside an elevator in Armacham Techonology Corporation's office.
- Leeroy Jenkins: Turin. But according to the player, Turin seems to be one in-universe. Havoc in the FEAR world. It's becoming much of a problem that Big Boss plans to teach them stealth back at the End of Time.
- Let's You and Him Fight: Sokka and Turin getting to an argument due to the loss of surprise in securing the anthrax.
- Mexican Standoff: Big Boss versus the rest of the party. Good thing no one started shooting.
- More Dakka: The heavily-armed Russian mercenaries in Pripyat as part of the test mission. The Replicas as well. The One's forces also share this trope.
- Ninja: You get Elite Foot Tech Ninjas as mooks and Gale as a boss-type enemy.
- Precision-Guided Boomerang: Sokka's boomerang.
- Private Military Contractors: Big Boss counts due to MSF.
- Real Life Writes the Plot: For Gi-Soo and Mason's presence in the RP.
- Shout-Out: Several...
- Superhero Packing Heat: Most of those in the party who use firearms as their weapon of choice.
- Teeth-Clenched Teamwork: This since the heroes have different ways of fighting. Also a part of What the Hell, Hero?.
- The Siege: The party versus charging Russian mercenaries after using the Pripyat Cultural Center as a staging point.
- Translator Microbes: At least for those in the party.
- Trick Arrow: In the hands of Green Arrow no less.
- War Is Hell: The party's experiencing this in the Command and Conquer world.
- Weapon of Mass Destruction: The party securing anthrax from the hands of mercenaries in Pripyat.
- What the Hell, Hero?: Turin attacking Churchill when he was told that he's in The End of Time.
- When Hercule kicked the wild dog during the test mission in Pripyat. Then everything broke lose there.
- Havoc making an explosion after the group had decided to sneak around the Replica. This forces the Point Man to clean house for them.
- We Sell Everything: Churchill tells Green Arrow that Sylphie does sell everything. With some exceptions...
- When She Smiles: Sylphie's trademark smile.
- Yanks with Tanks: Deuce since he's with Delta Force.
- Big Boss technically fits this... if one counts a tank of cardboard...