"We are gods among men."Divinity is a forum-based roleplay on the Gaia Online website; the thread of which can be found here here.A historic fantasy set in a pseudo-Feudal Japan, Divinity tells a story that — quite literally — spans centuries and entire lifetimes. On the surface, it is a story of war told on a personal level: the conflict between the elite forces of the conquerors and the conquered, the Country of the Sun's Eikou and the Land of the Moon's Wardens. Beside them are a mix-and-match group of Youkai who may or may not be able to stand each other. Each individual's dedication and reason for fighting are entirely their own, be it moral or not. But that's only the tip of the iceberg — some of the Samurai aren't human at all. They're the living reincarnations of gods, reborn after a brutal fight with their greatest enemy who just so happens, unfortunately, to also have been reborn.
This roleplay contains examples of:
- All Work vs. All Play : Getsuryuu versus Aisari or Arashi.
- Authority Equals Asskicking : The captains are the strongest of their respective groups.
- Bad Ass : The entire cast for one reason or another, no exceptions.
- Big Bad : Yamata-no-Orochi.
- Dark and Troubled Past : Lots. Actually, pretty much everyone.
- Friendly Rivalry : Sakuma and Akihiro.
- God in Human Form : Eight of them, to be exact — though it's more a case of Reincarnation.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty : Likely.
- Japanese Mythology : Adapted and changed, but clearly the inspiration.
- Jerk Ass : There's a few of them lurking around.
- Jidai Geki : It's pretty much a copy-paste of the Bakumatsu era, plus sun or moon motif depending on country.
- Light Is Not Good : Played with; the sun country is the conquerors, while the moon just wants their freedom back.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni : Sakuma and Akihiro. Sakuma as the calm-headed stoic captain and Akihiro as the Hot-Blooded, temperamental vice-captain.
- Samurai : Every single human in the cast is one.
- Theme Naming : All over the place.
- Youkai : Many, including Kitsune, Oni, Yuki-Onna, Ookami, Karasu Tengu (and a Yatagarasu), Nekomata, and even a Dragon.