"We are gods among men."Divinity
is a forum-based roleplay on the Gaia Online
website; the thread of which can be found here here
A historic fantasy set in a pseudo-Feudal Japan
tells a story that — quite literally — spans centuries and entire lifetimes. On the surface, it is a story of war told on a personal level: the conflict between the elite forces
of the conquerors and the conquered, the Country of the Sun's Eikou and the Land of the Moon's Wardens. Beside them are a mix-and-match group of Youkai
who may or may not be able to stand each other
. Each individual's dedication and reason for fighting are entirely their own, be it moral or not. But that's only the tip of the iceberg — some of the Samurai
aren't human at all. They're the living reincarnations of gods
, reborn after a brutal fight with their greatest enemy who just so happens, unfortunately, to also have been reborn.
This roleplay contains examples of:
- All Work vs. All Play : Getsuryuu versus Aisari or Arashi.
- Authority Equals Asskicking : The captains are the strongest of their respective groups.
- Bad Ass : The entire cast for one reason or another, no exceptions.
- Big Bad : Yamata-no-Orochi.
- Dark and Troubled Past : Lots. Actually, pretty much everyone.
- Friendly Rivalry : Sakuma and Akihiro.
- God in Human Form : Eight of them, to be exact — though it's more a case of Reincarnation.
- Immortality Begins at Twenty : Likely.
- Japanese Mythology : Adapted and changed, but clearly the inspiration.
- Jerk Ass : There's a few of them lurking around.
- Jidai Geki : It's pretty much a copy-paste of the Bakumatsu era, plus sun or moon motif depending on country.
- Light Is Not Good : Played with; the sun country is the conquerors, while the moon just wants their freedom back.
- Red Oni, Blue Oni : Sakuma and Akihiro. Sakuma as the calm-headed stoic captain and Akihiro as the Hot Blooded, temperamental vice-captain.
- Samurai : Every single human in the cast is one.
- Theme Naming : All over the place.
- Youkai : Many, including Kitsune, Oni, Yuki-Onna, Ookami, Karasu Tengu (and a Yatagarasu), Nekomata, and even a Dragon.