Roleplay / Biomon
Biomon is the brainchild of Queen-Serenity2012/Cuttlefish Pistachio/Biomaster Justine
, among others, and is an online play-by-post Mons
game centering on numerous young trainers who travel across the land and capture hundreds of
lovable abominations.The five major contributors are Justine, Razor, Alpaca-Stew, Pyro, and Dilo. There are currently over 150 types of Biomon, with more being added daily by the staff. It features systems such as player-run economies, alterations to change your Biomons' appearance and stats
, and detailed battles, among other things.Of note is the game's numerous references to other media
. Among the Biomon are a chimaera named Dyscord
, eldritch deities known as C'thuun and Daigorrn
, and an undead, mechanical fish and shark named, respectively, Skitta and Gashunk
.You can register for free to play the game here.
Biomon contains examples of...
- An Adventurer is You: All of the trainers can explore every corner of the land to track down exotic and rare Biomon in campaigns.
- Advantage Ball: Most battles play out like this, and are influenced by the arena, type, and league of the opposing Biomon.
- Attack Animal: The Biomon, of course (for differing defenitions of 'animal')!
- Author Appeal: Some of the Biomasters are known to have strong preferences on Biomon. Dilo, for example, uses a lot of saurian biomon and Pyro has stated his undying love for sanity-shattering abominations from beyond the veils of space and time.
- Pyro is actually the only Biomaster on the site with an easily-defined 'type'. While all of the other Biomasters used Biomon of many different types, a large majority of Pyro's Biomon are ??? types. The ones he has created follow this trend as well.
- There sure are a lot of bug, dark, and ??? type biomon on the site.
- Authority Equals Asskicking: The Biomasters, an elite group of trainers who rose through the ranks to represent an entire region.
- Bag of Holding: How else would our trainers hold hundreds of pounds worth of forgotten tomes and Ogidni Pens?
- Bizarre Alien Biology: ???-types range from eggs with arthropoid legs to humanoids made of reality itself.
- Body Horror: Expect lots of it.
- Bribing Your Way to Victory: You use credits to buy some of the earlier Biomon, although later on they get so expensive it's more convenient to catch them in campaigns.
- Bodily alterations for your Biomon can be bought, with effects ranging from changing the colour of your Biomon to giving them wings.
- Colossus Climb: In the 'With Strange Aeons' campaign, Pyro and Serenity end up having to climb the Biothane to find a dimensional rift.
- Combat Tentacles: How else would Cth'uun, Seeque, and the like fight?
- Cosmic Horror Story: With Strange Aeons is undoubtedly this. A pair of Biomon trainers against a reality-crossing horror that ends up having a psychic connection with one of the trainers is practically the epitome of this trope.
- Chupacabra: Chupa, a Junior League Biomon, is a canine Chupacabra.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Battles can very easily become this if Biomon in lower leagues are pitted against those in higher leagues.
- Partially averted in that many Junior and National League Biomon can effectively compete in the next highest league level.
- Dinosaurs Are Dragons: Many Dinosaur-Based Biomon are Dragon-Type, and a few breathe fire.
- Eldritch Abomination: C'thuun, Daigorrn, and J'ktykk to name just a few.
- Hell, the entire '???' type is pretty much this, as well as a good amount of dark and psychic types.
- Everythings Better with Dinosaurs: Plenty of Biomon are based on dinosaurs, Magmrex and Tricerant being two notable examples.
- The Saurie are a race of humanoid-saurian hybrids.
- Everything Trying to Kill You: Lampshaded in 'With Strange Aeons'.
- Fetus Terrible: Quite a few Biomon are inspired by fetuses, like Amnesion, a giant psychic embryo.
- Gentle Giant: Many of the larger Biomon are this, especially Gaia.
- Hand Blast: Many Biomon attacks are this.
- Healing Factor: All Biomon have this to some extent. The Ghreg-evolution line can regenerate from nearly anything unless its nucleus is damaged.
- Humanoid Abomination: Many of the non-human races are this. An example would be the Viy, muscular humanoids with a face on each shoulder, a mouth at their stump of a neck, and long, large arms to compensate for their stubby, shriveled legs.
- Humongous Mecha: Some Metal-Type Biomon are this.
- Kaiju: Many of the higher-ranked Biomon are Kaiju, a notable example being Gojiinferno, an expy of Godzilla.
- One of the current campaigns involves kaiju.
- The Zilla Islands are filled with these.
- Mayincatec: The Mayatek are a technologically-advanced version of this trope, even going so far as to build ziggurats and worship a feathered serpent named Quetzalio.
- Mix and Match Critters: Quite a few Biomon are hybrids of some sort.
- Mon: Obviously.
- Organic Technology: Many of the Biomon are this.
- The Biothane is a skinless, shambling, bear-shaped abomination with pipes, gears, and other such mechanisms powering it.
- Our Dragons are Different: Dragons range from traditional Chinese Dragons and Dinosaurs to Giant Lizards and Wyverns.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Zombii is a trainable Mon which behaves and looks exactly like a Romero-Zombie (minus the clothes), but can be trained to attack other Biomon instead of humans.
- Religion of Evil: The Blind Children are thought to be this by most of the regionairres, seeing as they worship an Eldritch Abomination that takes the form of a spiny worm with one giant eye.
- Word of God states that the Goose Dancers are a parody of this concept. All they do is dress up as geese and dance, yet are reviled by most of the regionairres as irredeemably malevolent.
- Shout-Out: At least 20% of all Biomon are references of some sort. An example is Burstoid and Xenoid, obvious expies of the Aliens.
- What Measure Is a Non-Human?: Brought up with the Thraecia, strong slug-people forced by humans to work in the mines that they inhabit.
- Wolves Always Howl at the Moon: Lupine, the wolf-biomon, is guilty of this.