Roleplay / Behind The Veil
Behind The Veil is forum-based Old World of Darkness role-playing game
, created in 2008 and set in Los Angeles
. The Board allows Vampires
, and Hunters
. Due to the nature of the venue, dice rolls are not used, thus placing less of an emphasis on combat and more on the social aspects of the games.
The origins of the board starts over at another role playing forum, also set in LA. The board encompassed all Old World game lines and had a much broader range of species, but increasing interference
from the sole admin began to alienate some players. After one particularly bad incident several players pooled their knowledge of the World of Darkness to create a new board, officially unveiling it on the first of August 2008.
Since that time the board has grown, picking up more members while going through periods of inactivity. Despite the odds the board is still running, with a modest number of players controlling multiple characters.
It can be found here
This game provides examples of:
- Anthropomorphic Personification: The Lady of Angels, who is a representation of the city of Los Angeles. She manifests herself as a woman whose features constantly change to symbolise the vast and diverse population of the city.
- Ascended Extra: Some characters started off as NPCs before getting some Character Development and becoming full characters in their own right.
- Dawson Casting: Some of the celebrities used to represent characters are much younger or older than the characters they're portraying.
- Comic-Book Time: Due to the format, pinning down a timeline for all active threads is difficult, falling into this trope. As a more straight forward example, the Archangels first met back in 2007, but in game have only known each other for roughly a year.
- Grey and Grey Morality: Although there are some truly evil characters, for the most part the site falls into this in terms of serious conflict between characters.
- Human Sacrifice: A current plot line running on the board, kinfolk in Long Beach have been found drained of blood with the names of local Garou carved into their bodies. Two kinfolk found out what they did with all the blood…
- It's For A Film: Combined with an Author's Saving Throw after one player broke the Masquerade. The scene? A Wererat was harassing some students, got caught by a Mage and decided to bolt, in full half-woman half-rat form, through several walls and the side of a Trailer, leaving plenty of eye-witnesses which was then followed up with the same player writing a news report showing that that a rather clear impression of the wererat in the side of the trailer. The Technocratic Union then came in, kept the story off the airwaves for a few weeks, then prints out a story that it was a marketing stunt gone wrong for a new film called 'Ratmen from Mars' staring Courtney Cox. To pull this off they ended up creating a special effects studio so they could blame them for the disaster, "reminding" both Cox and the studios that they had already signed on for such a film and faking the paperwork to prove that the film was in fact already greenlit before the event took place.
- Killed Off for Real: One of the rules of the board is that a character, once killed off, can not be brought back under any circumstances, not even as a Wraith.
- Left Hanging: The most notable example would be the rivalry between Kathleen and May Lawrence, which started a few months after the forum's opening in 2008 and continuing on and off until mid-2011.
- Loads and Loads of Characters
- One Steve Limit: Averted; several names are repeated frequently, and there are two Garou Jons, who are both members of the same sept, are both Bone Gnawers and are both Theurges.
- Too Dumb to Live: The first character killed through the consequence system was a Sabbat Vampire, who thought it would be a great idea to insult and disobey the Archbishop. Repeatedly, to her face after being threatened with a Final death. It did not end well.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Long Beach, which houses a Black Spiral Dancer hive. Subverted in that other Garou know the spirals are there.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Due to some players leaving unannounced and never returning, this happens from time to time.