''Back and Behind the Woods
is an ongoing Play By Post
roleplay on The Roleplayer's Gazebo
Taking place on a world that is an amalgamation of Toril
, Back and Behind the Woods
chronicles the adventures of an unlikely group as they make their way through the world beset by one hardship, mishap, and unlikely coincidence after another. The main characters are as follows; Zarae, a rebel drow shadowdancer; Lily, a socially awkward human archivist; Amrin, a veteran sellsword tiefling fighter; Gilrean, a moon elf sorceress on a quest; Damien, a young fighter/sorcerer looking for the truth of his past; and Bob, an unusual drow fighter who's Seen It All
The game is played by loosely following the Pathfinder rules system, with some 3.5
in for good measure. However, the story is put before the dice, and the characters focus on the writing.Has a Character Sheet
Back and Behind the Woods contains examples of:
- Artifact Title: Originally referring to the home of a group of ogres that the group was hunting, the title has since become this, given that the group isn't even in a forest anymore, and that their quest is leading them from one city to another.
- Contrived Coincidence: How the group meets; five of them independently converge on a camp of ogres and decide to travel together afterwards.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: The party manages to slaughter the ogres in short order; this is because the party is made up of characters level 16-18, where as the ogres were CR 5-6.
- Dark and Troubled Past: All the main characters have them, to one extend or another.
- Evil Tower of Ominousness / Mage Tower: The group comes across one out in the woods that wasn't there a few days ago. It's home to at least four extremely powerful wizards who recruit the group to track down a thief for them.
- Family Theme Naming: Both Amrin and Lily come from families that practiced this; Amrin's father and all of his brothers had names starting with the letter A. Lily's father, mother, and brother all have names starting with the letter L.
- Five-Man Band:
- Hillbilly Horrors: The ogres that act as the villains of the first arch are very much in the Pathfinder model; one plays a banjo while the others dance on captured humans and has an incestuous relationship with his sister
- Just Friends: Amrin and Lily. Gilrean thinks they have feelings for each other, but they insist that they're just this.
- Put on a Bus: Axslav, the dwarf bard/barbarian, leaves the group after they divvy up the bounty from slaying the ogres. His ultimate fate is unknown.