Roleplay / A Modern World
A Modern World at its greatest extent.
A vast NationStates RP world
, incorporating around thirty different countries.NationStates
has had its fair share of Role-Play 'worlds' - scenarios where RPers
group together to create an alternate earth filled with their own countries. What distinguishes AMW from this is longevity; while most of these groups collapse within a month, AMW has been running for years
A Modern World's premise is based in NationStates
, and uses the same Role Play techniques as its parent game, but adheres to using real world geography, climate, natural resources, and population as opposed to NationStates
more ambiguous set up. Founded by Drapol in 2003/2004
, the group has included three different incarnations starting on Jolt and surviving on to the new forums. Basically, this is where Role Players
group together to create an alternate earth filled with their own countries.
The main site can be found here
A Modern World contains the following tropes:
- Affably Evil: Chairman Chivo.
- All Germans Are Nazis: Averted with the Federal Republic of Nibelunc.
- Alternate History: A key principle of AMW.
- Author Appeal: Chrinthania with their surf-crazed hippies and over abundance of Shirtless Scene and Mr. Fanservice
- Author Avatar: Averted, fortunately. Though several characters enact policies their players support (Nibelunc is a major offender here).
- Balkanize Me: A staple principle of AMW.
- Banana Republic: Nilosahara is the African version.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Beddgelert ostensibly went to war with Tsalland because the latter was dumping Bibles across the borders of the former.
- Dirty Communists: In shorter supply than the real-world, but there's still Dra-pol and Beddgelert.
- Empire with a Dark Secret: The Grand Empire of the Shield, which has now turned into a realistic, struggling Republic.
- Expy: While there are no countries identical to their real-life counterparts, many states fulfill a similar purpose in AMW
- Evil Versus Evil: The war between Tsalland and Beddgelert.
- Glorious Mother Russia: Syberea
- Good Republic, Evil Empire: Averted and played straight in equal measures.
- Here There Be Dragons: Parts of the world that are unclaimed by players are In and Out of Character OOC often referred to as "Dragonland" for this reason.
- Hollywood Tactics: What will likely happen if we ever get around to actually having a war.
- Mega Corp.: Most of the Persian Gulf states were once controlled by a private company.
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo: Averted, though no nuclear weapon has been used against a city so far, Walmington and Nibelunc went on to...
- Nuke 'em: ... with tactical weapons in Dra-Pol and Areopagitican.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: By the truckload. Choist People's Republic of Dra-pol and the Federal Democratic Republic of Beddgelert all play this straight.
- President Evil: Bantu.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Playes straight by Walmington On Sea
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Quite a few, among them Director (former Rebel Leader) Bradsworth, Consul-General Scaramella and Alderman Ahler.
- Retcon: Justified by countries dropping out of existence.
- Straight Gay: Tiberus VI of Byzantium. Although he loses points for being played by Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Strange Bedfellows: Being Truth in Television, this tends to happen quite a lot.
- Strawman Political: Most of the Communist/Socialist countries.
- The Empire: Several, though the nation most like the trope is the Principality of Gandvik.
- Theme Naming: Happens a lot in the different militaries, with often mythical names for Nibelung weapon systems.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Most of them deliver even worse governments.
- Those Wacky Nazis: The Christian Phalangist Union.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Tends to happen when countries cease to exist since the players behind them left.
- The United States did not exist and so was not responsible for winning the war (in fact, there was infighting between the various nations of North America).