A Modern World at its greatest extent.
A vast NationStates RP world
, incorporating around thirty different countries.NationStates
has had its fair share of Role-Play 'worlds' - scenarios where RPers
group together to create an alternate earth filled with their own countries. What distinguishes AMW from this is longevity; while most of these groups collapse within a month, AMW has been running for years
Starting on Jolt and surviving on to the new forums, while membership shifts up and down, AMW always goes on.
The main site can be found here
A Modern World contains the following tropes:
- Absolute Xenophobe: The Catholic Exarchate of Areopagitican.
- Affably Evil: Chairman Chivo.
- All Germans Are Nazis: Averted with the Federal Republic of Nibelunc.
- America Wins The War: Heavily averted.
- Alternate History: A key principle of AMW. Divergences from real-life history include:
- The Eastern Roman Empire surviving to the modern era after reclaiming much of its Asian territory in the 16th and 17th centuries, subsequently resulting in the Ottoman Empire never being formed.
- Author Appeal: The Paradise Islands with their surf-crazed hippies and over abundance of Shirtless Scene and Mr. Fanservice
- Author Avatar: Averted, fortunately. Though several characters enact policies their players support (Nibelunc is a major offender here).
- Balkanize Me: North America and China have both been divided between several states. The former has several different countries which occupied the territory of the real-life USA.
- Banana Republic: Nilosahara is the African version.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Beddgelert ostensibly went to war with Tsalland because the latter was dumping Bibles across the borders of the former.
- Dirty Communists: In shorter supply than the real-world, but there's still Dra-pol and Beddgelert.
- Empire With A Dark Secret: The Grand Empire of the Shield, which has now turned into a realistic, struggling [[Republic The Republic]].
- Expy: While there are no countries identical to their real-life counterparts, many states fulfil a similar purpose in AMW
- Evil Versus Evil: The war between Tsalland and Beddgelert.
- Gauls With Grenades: The Empire of Valendia
- Glorious Mother Russia: Modravia
- Good Republic, Evil Empire: Averted and played straight in equal measures. Kiev was an autocratic monarchy and borderline Police State while the Federal Republic of Nibelunc is - like its namesake - much more free and democratic.
- Here There Be Dragons: Parts of the world that are unclaimed by players are OOC often referred to as "Dragonland" for this reason.
- Hollywood Tactics: What will likely happen if we ever get around to actually having a war.
- Mega Corp: Most of the Persian Gulf states were once controlled by a private company.
- Nuclear Weapons Taboo: Averted, though no nuclear weapon has been used against a city so far, Walmington and Nibelunc went on to...
- Nuke 'em: ... with tactical weapons in Dra-Pol and Areopagitican.
- People's Republic of Tyranny: By the truckload. Choist People's Republic of Dra-pol and the Federal Democratic Republic of Beddgelert all play this straight.
- President Evil: Bantu.
- Quintessential British Gentleman: Walmington On Sea
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Quite a few, among them Director (former  Bradsworth, Consul Scaramella and Alderman Ahler.
- Retcon: Justified by countries dropping out of existence.
- Russians With Rusting Rockets: Beddgelert
- Straight Gay: Tiberus VI of Byzantium. Although he loses points for being played by Jake Gyllenhaal.
- Strange Bedfellows: Being Truth in Television, this tends to happen quite a lot.
- Strawman Political: Most of the Communist/Socialist countries.
- The Empire: Several, though the nation most like the trope is the [Principality] of Gandvik.
- Theme Naming: Happens a lot in the different militaries, with often mythical names for Nibelung weapon systems.
- The Revolution Will Not Be Civilized: Most of them deliver even worse governments. The Shield is one of the few aversions so far.
- The Roman Empire: Lives on in spirit in the form of the Byzantine Empire, although an actual modern Roman Empire existed at one point.
- Those Wacky Nazis: The Christian Phalangist Union.
- We Are Not The Wehrmacht: We are the Nibelung Heerbann instead.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: Tends to happen when countries cease to exist since the players behind them left.
- The United States did not exist and so was not responsible for winning the war (in fact, there was infighting between the various nations of North America).