We've switched servers and will be updating the old code over the next couple months, meaning that several things might break. Please report issues here
Role Play: The Distant Wrath
The Distant Wrath
is the first in a series of role plays on Fanfiction
where All Myths Are True
. In a World
where Gods Need Prayer Badly
but people have stopped praying, practically every being mentioned in myth needs an "anchor" to attach themselves to so they don't fade away. The RP takes place in the town of Melox, California
which for some strange reason seems to be attracting large quantities of mythical beings. Strangely enough, the large majority of the towns citizens
seem to be completely oblivious despite a paper-thin masquerade. While every mythical being has a human form, there are plenty that don't even try to be subtle.
The Big Bad
has been defeated and the RP has entered into a sort of Endgame Plus
where the RPers can run subplots of their own. A sequel is currently in progress, and there are plans to have a sequel for every vice.
Both TDW and its sequels can be found on this site.
- A-Cup Angst: Totally averted, Joan is thrilled that her lady parts aren't very developed. Natalie inverts this, she's not happy that she's well developed. Clara inverts this Up to Eleven.
- Archnemesis Dad: Yuni's relationship with her father is... less than healthy, to say the least.
- Ascended Extra: Pretty much all the lieutenants that live and don't get Put on a Bus.
- Asleep in Class: Haruku tends to fall asleep in it, despite it actually not being shown, as well as Josephine in the first set.
- As Long as There Is Evil: How Orochi never really dies.
- Attractive Bent-Gender: Much to the chagrin of Natalie, Joan, and Scarlet. Haruku may count as well, seeing as (s)he isn't unattractive in either of his/her forms.
- Badass Normal: Josephine, until she becomes the Wind lieutenant. Michael now that he has soul energy down, though it's debatable how "normal" he is.
- Badass Princess: Natalie will vehemently deny being a princess, but that gun of hers really packs a punch.
- Bad Dreams: The lieutenants have them now that Orochi is dead.
- Batter Up: Jeffy's weapon of choice.
- Belated Backstory: Infi originally intended Orochi's lieutenants to be faceless mooks before deciding to give them tragic pasts.
- Berserk Button:
- Don't call Haru short and don't insult Master Orochi in front of his lieutenants.
- Even just the implication of her sister being threatened will drive Jess into a murderous rage.
- Big "NO!":
- Hugh, at the loss of his spot.
- Kai at the loss of Yuni Jr. and Infi at the loss of Planty.
- Kai again, at the loss of his pancakes.
- Big Stupid Doodoo Head: The majority of Kai's insults use this trope, and it's likely Cam does this as well.
- Blatant Lies:
- "I would never make such an immature sound."
- No, Siegfried didn't imagine Naomi in a maid outfit.
- Sakura totally knew that Santa was Spanish for Saint. She was just testing Sean.
- GLaDOS makes a cameo in the RP. Enough said.
- Brainwashed and Crazy: Orochi's lieutenants, more emphasis on the Brainwashed than the Crazy, though.
- Bullet Hell: Zi is capable of this with spiritual magic and such.
- The Cameo: We have characters from Portal (and Portal 2), Dog Days, Kingdom Hearts, and Disgaea.
- Captain Obvious: Rosa stated that it's a good thing that Penn doesn't burn up in the sun.
- Casting a Shadow: Darkness users.
- Cat Smile: Charm has this naturally, being part cat. Kai's teeth are retractable, allowing him to do the toothless grin, and then there's Lexi and Zi.
- Cheshire Cat Grin: Stella has used this on multiple occasions, and Silver's ever-present smile will sometimes fall into this territory.
- Crack Pairing: Plenty in the Couple's Thread.
- Cunning Like a Fox: Fog and Silver, and possibly every kitsune other than Haruku.
- Cursed with Awesome: How some of the other male characters would see Connor's ability.
- Curtains Match the Window:
- Eva, and by extent Joan, both have red hair and red eyes.
- Indiana and Davey Jones both have blue hair and eyes, when Davey doesn't dye his hair.
- Rosa also fits this trope with her brown hair and brown eyes.
- Cuteness Proximity:
- Joan gets affected by Stella's when she's in child form at one point.
- When Stella turns Natalie into a five year old, she's absolutely adorable. Despite thinking of several ways to tease her before giving Stella the signal, all Joe can come up with when he sees her is "Awwwww..."
- Clap Your Hands If You Believe: The boiled down spirit/anchor relationship.
- Cluster F-Bomb: Nate, after realizing the aftereffects of Stella's third possession. May be subverted as no actual swearing is shown.
- Cool and Unusual Punishment: Joe getting turned into Joan is hilarious for the RP'ers. For Joe? Not so much.
- Cruel Player-Character God: The RP'ers can be downright bastards to their characters sometimes...
- Dangerous Sixteenth Birthday: The day Tinon became a lieutenant happened to be Helena's 16th Birthday. And that's terrible.
- Dramatic Irony: Helena wasn't aware that Deus's soul was taken when she mentally swore that "She wasn't going to let anyone she cared about be taken away from her again."
- The Dreaded: Joan and Natalie are terrified of Tori, and Kai's scared of her when she has her particularly scary moments.
- Easily Forgiven: Tinon seems rather okay with Kai pretty much single handedly screwing everyone over with the whole Kusunagi thing.
- Elemental Powers: Complete with Elemental Rock-Paper-Scissors.
- Enemy Civil War: Orochi's followers, with Sayu leading one group and Anzu leading the other.
- Enemy Mine: The lieutenants working with the good guys to help bring down Pete.
- Face Palm: Generous amounts from many of the more intelligent characters. Overlaps with Headdesk.
- Failure Is the Only Option: Seems like most of the arguments Joe has taken part of recently wind up this way for him.
- False Reassurance: Stella wouldn't physically tell other people what Hugh was thinking about. She would just plant the information inside their heads.
- Fan Nickname: Sky calls Joe and Nate 'Joe-n' and 'nate-alie' in his head. It's official when they're actually girls, though.
- Fantastic Racism:
- Cam hates demons.
- Freya doesn't like demons either, if her interactions with Eva are any indication.
- Fantasy-Forbidding Father: Evidenced by Haruku going out to pick up Tinon's Manga, though her father never actually bothered to check her room.
- For the Evulz: Orochi does this when he's in the mood, and The Walrus/Yami/Roderick probably operates entirely on this principle. Vayne doesn't need to drain his victims' blood when he feeds off of them, but he does because of this.
- Fridge Horror: Sky himself had this moment when he realized that Charm was in heat. It only makes sense for the characters who have to put up with her to feel the same way.
- Gender Bender:
- Stella's third type of possession. Poor Natalie.
- And Eva used her powers over Lust to turn Joe into Joan.
- Haruku did this from time to time until becoming Orochi's lieutenant in Tinon's place permanently made the kitsune a she.
- Stella put a curse on Hugh, Nate, and Joe that would cause their genders to change anytime they sneezed. And now the curse has been extended to Connor/Clara. Is no one safe?
- Glamour: Haruku, Naomi, Silver, Charm, and Stella can perform these.
- Green Thumb: Cam is a tree himself, but whether or not he'll ever get some kind of nature-based superpower (or any superpower at all) is up for debate/up to Suvi. The boss man takes this Up to Eleven.
- Headdesk: For when Face Palms just aren't enough, some characters opt for this maneuver.
- Hellish Pupils:
- Orochi, Belial, and Eva in her true form.
- The dragons (or at least the good ones) subvert this trope.
- Kai has the Hellish Pupils when's he's really pissed off, and drops the kid friendly glamour over his true form.
- Heroic Resolve: Jess has enough of this to get up after being paralyzed by Anzu.
- Hero with an F in Good: Stella screws with anyone and anything for grins and giggles, is willing to wipe memories, alter physical forms, and is generally pretty terrible towards her anchor. She does, however, actually care about Nate/Natalie, and hasn't put him/her in any real danger, and is willing to fight on the good side. She may be Chaotic Neutral, as she didn't help out in the first fight because she didn't feel like it.
- High On Catnip: This happened to both Rosa and Charm, literally.
- Homeschooled Kids: Tinon was one until the start of the RP, stated before.
- Horrible Judge of Character: Kai. While it's slightly understandable that Anzu tricked him into getting Kusanagi for her, he continues to be used by her even after her intentions become blatantly obvious. He also built GLaDOS and gave her mobility. And he trusts the psychopathic AI because she gave him cake.
- Horror Doesn't Settle for Simple Tuesday: Halloween night proves to be deadly.
- Humans Are Bastards: Zi's view of humans is... less than endearing.
- Hurricane of Puns: Joe and Natalie were in the midst of one, and then later Joe and Tori started another one.
- I Am A Humanitarian: Penn and Aria both feed off of human blood and/or human bodies, and Vayne drains the lifeforce of his victims, but will also take a bite or two from time to time.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Feels like Succubus!Eva would be able to pull this off... except she's flat.
- Incompatible Orientation: Charm has a thing for Rosa, who's straight.
- Inconvenient Summon: Eva can be summoned at any time. Even when she's getting changed, or in the shower.
- Incredibly Lame Pun:
- Eva arguing with the "Sky", when she was arguing with Sky...
- Joe is a master of these.
- Infinity+1 Sword: Muramasa and Masamune, as well as Kusanagi, which doubles as a Sword of Plot Advancement.
- Instant Awesome, Just Add Dragons: Kailandi, Indiana, and dragon Halfling Davey.
- Instant Plunder, Just Add Pirates: At one point, the two and a half dragons mentioned above raid a forgotten pirate treasure hold.
- Instrument of Murder: Silver has a flute made of bone that doubles as an Energy Sword, but he's never seen actually playing it.
- Insult Backfire:
- Natalie teasing Joan about showering, only for Joan to turn it right back at her.
- When Hugh calls Joe/Joan silly, s/he's flattered. It's not much of an insult, but Hugh's five at the moment.
- In the Hood: Silver always wears a hood, although it's not to conceal identity.
- Involuntary Shapeshifting: Nate has little to no (none at all) say on whether or not Stella will go from her second to third type of possession. Taken to a whole new level with the curse Stella put on him, Joe, and Hugh, which changes their gender anytime they sneeze.
- Jerkass Gods: There are very few of the RP'ers that haven't abused their god-like in-story powers to make their characters' lives hell.
- Journey to the Center of the Mind: What Deus is doing through most of the Mind Rape Arc.
- Kamehamehadoken: Tori does the complete Kamehameha schtick shortly after gaining her lieutenant abilities.
- Karma Houdini: Yami never actually pays for his atrocities. The same can be said for most of the other villains, but Yami is a special case because he was never even fought by anyone other than Deus, let alone defeated.
- King of All Cosmos: This could be applied to some (or most or all) of the RPers...
- Kiss of the Vampire: It's explained in universe that Penn's bite starts to feel good after the initial pain.
- Knife Nut: Itachi, before he started using his sickle again.
- Laser Blade: See Instrument of Murder.
- Laser-Guided Karma: Joe getting turned into Joan after laughing at Nate/Natalie's gender change. Also her brain-freeze, to a certain extent. And then Natalie gets a brain-freeze after making fun of Joan. Apparently the diner specializes in Karma Shakes.
- Leaning on the Fourth Wall:
- Eva arguing with Poker. Also, Evan explained what the fourth wall was to Freya by breaking it.
- Joe (especially when Joan, when it is implied that his/her sanity is less stable) does this from time to time after seeing past the Fourth Wall when Stella showed him a handful of horrible truths about the Universe.
- Leap Day: Tinon's birthday is Febuary 29th.
- Leonine Contract: Orochi managed to "convince" Tinon and most of his other lieutenants to go over to his side by threatening their loved ones. The "deal" was basically "join me or lose everything you care about."
- Light Is Not Good: Dave, as well as Orochi's Light element, the Light Lieutenant, and Silver.
- Like Brother and Sister: Kai and Tori are very close, with Tori acting like the more mature sibling (most of the time).
- Little Miss Badass: Miki, as shown in her backstory. Child-form Stella plays with this trope, but she's really as old as time.
- Loads and Loads of Characters: As of the first Character Popularity poll, there's a total of 51 characters to chose from. And since then more characters have shown up.
- Made of Iron: A good amount of the guardians.
- Magically Binding Contract: Dealt with in Deals With the Devil. Both Eva and Dave have dealt with these.
- Make Me Wanna Shout: Yuni has a ring that gives her this power, and Vayne has it naturally.
- Making a Splash: Water users, usually overlaps with An Ice Person.
- Man, I Feel Like a Woman : Subverted, as Clara was rubbing her breasts to relieve an ache and not for... experimentation.
- Mass "Oh, Crap!":
- Seven of Orochi's heads once they heard from Lightning that the new lieutenant was a kitsune.
- All the Eldunari realizing that Gwendoline was on her way to Melox.
- Memory Wiping Crew: Stella's a proud member.
- The Mind Is a Plaything of the Body: Displayed on numerous occasions: Moegami is more childish in his child form, Rosa enjoyed being pet as a cat, and Natalie and Joan have said and done a few rather feminine things. Stella's also quite a bit more immature in her child form, but it's anyone's guess as to whether or not it's because of this trope, or if she just does it for fun.
- Mind Rape: According to Book, Helena's nightmare is an entire Mind Rape ARC.
- Mind Screw: Yuni's fight with Vayne.
- Modesty Shorts: Haruku wears a pair with her school uniform.
- Morality Pet: Josephine and Cameron are this to Itachi.
- More Than Mind Control: How Orochi controls his lieutenants after a while.
- Mugging the Monster: Those thugs were really unlucky to try and rob Tori, and really really unlucky that she was under the influence of Orochi's rage.
- Playing with Fire: Fire users.
- Plucky Girl: Helena's had a pretty rough life, but it doesn't stop her from getting back up with a smile.
- Police Are Useless: Not only can't they do a thing about the crime caused by supernatural beings in the town, their filing reports suck too.
- Poor, Predictable Rock: It isn't too difficult to guess what elements a lot of the spirits use, based on what they are. It's usually also included in the legends about them, too. Also, in a non-Elemental Rock Paper Scissors example, Hugh always uses rock in actual Rock Paper Scissors.
- Portal Pool: Some water users can turn any body of water into one of these.
- Powered by a Forsaken Child:
- Atlantis was kept afloat by many Eldunari, who didn't have any say in the matter and didn't exactly want to be there if what Kai says is true.
- Groyne's dark barrier feeds off of the Eldunari of previous member's of Gwendolen's hatchling army. As if that weren't bad enough, when one of the Eldunari is completely used up by supporting the barrier from attacks, the baby dragon is consumed into Groyne, which means it doesn't even pass into the afterlife.
- The Power of Love: Tinon's battle with Sayu.
- Psycho for Hire: Itachi working for Orochi. Averted later when he was pretty much forcefully re-recruited with Cam's health and free will on the line.
- Punch Clock Villain: Any of the lieutenants that aren't actually evil but still follow Orochi's orders may fall into this group.
- Punctuated! For! Emphasis!: Has shown up a few times by now. Natalie gives a big "I. Am. Not!" when Joe calls her a little girl for hiding under a table. And then Stella turns her into a little girl.
- Purple Eyes: Stella, and Natalie/Nate whenever Stella's possessing him/her or channelling magic through him/her.
- Reality Warper: Now that the R Pers actually exist in universe, they definitely count as this. Whether or not they will actually interact with anyone besides Eva has yet to be seen, but it's unlikely.
- Red-Headed Hero: Haruku, Helena... The list goes on and on, though it's questionable whether some redheads are heroic...
- Red Eyes, Take Warning: Eva subverts this since she's not evil. Joan subverts this even more than Eva since she's both not evil and not harmful at all.
- Reincarnation: Michael is the reincarnation of the first Demon Hunter.
- Sadly Mythtaken: Happens on a couple of occasions, since R Pers are using the myths for their own purposes.
- Sanity Slippage: Kai really doesn't do well with lying to people.
- Say My Name:
- Helena did this before tackle-glomping Tinon once.
- Scenery Gorn: Itachi's room from the fight with Belial.
- Scenery Porn: The room from Tinon's dream would be very soothing, were it not for the giant evil snake.
- Sharp Dressed Woman: Penn was wearing a suit when she went to see Orochi with Tori. "Because that's awesome."
- Shock and Awe: While Lightning isn't an element, one of Orochi's heads and one of his lieutenants has dominion over it. Also, Kai uses electricity as well as wind.
- Shout-Out: Loads. Most notably to Team Four Star, Kingdom Hearts, and Monty Python.
- Super Weight:
- Most anchors and humans in general, Cam and the younger tree spirits.
- Natalie, arguably Josephine pre-Orochi . Michael falls into the high end of this rank because technically soul power is something that any human can use with proper training, and Michael happens to have a particularly large soul.
- Some guardians and lieutenants that control only their element.
- Kitsune (element plus illusions) excluding Fog since he's on a higher level, Charm, Stella, guardians and lieutenants whose powers have multiple uses.
- The most powerful guardians, many gods. Orochi and Fog fall into the high end of this rank, and might have a foot in the next.
- Powerful gods.
- The greatest gods, probably only those that had a hand in Creation.
- The R Pers.
- Sword of Plot Advancement: Kusanagi is needed to bring Orochi back.
- Talking Is a Free Action: Many examples, in true RP fashion.
- Talks Like a Simile: Silver does this like a mentally unstable scarlet macaw with a thesaurus.
- Tempting Fate: "I don't think you have the guts to kill Planty. :P"
- Tengu: Tengu. The Walrus has also been shown to have a raven form.
- Tickle Torture: One of the ways Joe and Kai decide to torment a Prinny.
- Too Dumb to Live: You do not take off the amulet protecting you from a blood thirsty vampire who has shown a special interest in your blood, and then lean towards her to hear what she's mumbling.
- Trademark Favorite Food:
- Kai with his gemstones and Yami with his ramen.
- Cam and his Fruit Loops. Especially the green ones.
- Trauma Conga Line: Yami's/The Walrus'/Roderick's Mind Rape of Helena.
- Tranquil Fury: Since Davey is the Stoic, this is what his rage against Kai was. Drop does this too.
- Weaksauce Weakness: Eva's only weakness isn't the Light element; it's Disney songs. Or so she claimed.
- We Hardly Knew Ye: Indiana Jones, until it was revealed that he wasn't quite dead.
- What Could Have Been: The original RP, as well as The Alternate Wrath.
- What Happened to the Mouse?: What happened to (insert one of many characters here)? They have a tendency to disappear entirely if they don't get enough social interaction.
- World of Ham: Several characters have hammed it up at one point or another. Not surprising considering they're RPers.
- You Gotta Have Blue Hair:
- Davey does an interesting subversion where he dyes his blue hair black.
- The boss man's hair is green, when it's not a sickly shade of purple.