Role Play / iAntiVirus
iAntiVirus was a roleplaying forum started by Azer
. It was originally a private RP, but it was eventually opened to the public in October, 2007. The setting was in a virtual reality MMORPG with the usual formula - classes, Pv P
, monsters, quests, etc. However, underneath the public eye is a virtual war going on between VIRUS and FIREWALL. VIRUS was angry at the Administrators for being slow to react to hackers, bots, trolls, and such that are degrading the game. Thus, VIRUS was formed to take matters with their own hands. FIREWALL was formed by the Administrators to counteract VIRUS and delete the members for playing god and being a threat to the game.
Notable for its long history, encouragement for creativity, and sprawling plot, the forum came to a close in December, 2015, after an 8-year run.
Note - All character-related tropes MUST go under the Character's page. The main page should be saved for the universe in general tropes and story-line tropes due to the length this article is getting.
This Roleplay provides examples of the following:
- Aborted Arc: This is the rather unfortunate consequence of a member either discontinuing their usage of a character or discontinuing their visits to the site.
- All Your Base Are Belong to Us
- "The Invasion", where FIREWALL invaded VIRUS. It wasn't pretty.
- The current "The Raid" arc, where Virus repays Firewall by marching on them with an organised attack plan, complete with a clearly set goal, can also apply to this.
- Asskicking Equals Authority: This is the way the hierarchy system is set up in both VIRUS and FIREWALL.
- Author Avatar
- Several of the characters are self-inserts of their creators. This is intentional on their part and some of them have admitted to them being as such.
- There is also a variant of this in the sense that some of the Author Avatars are how the authors would have played Cyberpolis if it had been accessible to them. Examples of this variant are characters such as Ferrero, Rea and Kujira.
- There are also several other characters who have unintentionally become Author Avatars as they grew and developed.
- Beach Episode: This can be easily executed by holding a roleplay, a special event, etc. at the Summe'rian beach.
- Several times in the Pv P.
- Berserk Button: Insulting Canada in front of Moose. In fact, even just cracking a beaver or hockey joke in front of him could result in blind rage.
- Black Magic: One of the four paths of the Awetumik, the Elemental Mage, utilises up to two different elements, of which among them is the element of 'Darkness'.
- Blood Knight
- Most Summe'rians have a tendency towards this.
- Many members of VIRUS are also like this.
- Boom, Headshot: This can be done by any character who uses a gun as a weapon although it is most effectively carried out by the Gunslinger Class Spa'ringians as it's their speciality.
- Brilliant, but Lazy: Plot wise, this was the reason why Err was one of the longest running "active" subordinates.
- The Captain: The current and previous Overlords and Admirals of VIRUS and FIREWALL respectively.
- Comic Trio: The trainees of Team Abs. Kamui comes up with crazy ideas, Jin has no idea what he is doing, and Paz as the Straight Man. Slightly subverted in the sense that Paz is genuinely too entertained by the two of them to actually attempt to set things straight.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Although VIRUS' uniforms are mostly black in colour, they aren't evil. Well... the majority of them aren't, anyways...
- Deader Than Dead: When a character gets hits with a Zirus or something similar then the character is gone. Admittedly there is always the possibility of coming back as a new avatar, but the character has to start over from Level 1 and can't join till the next ERA. Ouch.
- Game Within a Game: People on the forum roleplay characters who roleplay other characters in a MMO, sometimes roleplaying as secret agents for secret organisations!
- Hellish Pupils
- Elixer has violet eyes with black slits down the middle.
- Winclar has red eyes with cat-like pupils.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Rajio may be another one of those people who cusses at people 24/7, but he's really just a softie on the inside. He just has trust issues. Lots of them.
- Ferris, despite his gruff and sarcastic exterior, will consciously go out of his way and risk business credibility to protect his loved ones from harm.
- Just Friends: Also see Heterosexual Life-Partners.
- Arguably, the whole of Knife and Arthur Ren's real life household falls under this category, save for Robert (the player behind Nightingale).
- Jules (the player behind Maelstrom) has had rather... interesting dreams regarding Cal (Knife) and Other Cal (Arthur)...
- And let's not forget their cat and dog.
- Like Brother and Sister:
- Knife and Kayden get disgusted at even the idea of dating each other. Ditto with Knife and Nephyl. And Knife and almost any other female avatar he has developed a close friendship with.
- Microts: A real-world variant; One 'ERA (or 'one year') in iAnti's timeline is 6 months for everyone roleplaying. This was discontinued starting with ERA 22; one real year is one in-universe year.
- Mighty Glacier: All Summe'rians, but especially the Tank Class which is the slowest class in Cyberpolis.
- Necromancer: One of the newer classes along with three others (Striker, Tombkeeper and Tinkerer) which came along with ERA 21.
- RPG-Mechanics Verse: A Justified Trope. More like a video game verse though. Rokal has abused this in the past by unequiping his scarf when being strangled once. Thus leaving enough room for him to escape.