Cumberholmes: How am I tuning my violin and Tweeting at the same time, I hear you ask. Because I'm Sherlock Holmes & I can do ANYTHING.
@dilestrade I'm just saying. The enemy of my enemy's henchman is my henchfriend.This is a page for the Cumberholmes Role-Playing Game, a Fan Work featured exclusively on Twitter. There is a LiveJournal that accompanies this community which can be found here. Based on the Mini Series Sherlock, this RP has expanded beyond the featured BBC cast to include some of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's canon characters, such as Tobias Gregson and one of the Baker Street Irregulars (a group of employed Street Urchins who are all Conveniently an Orphan) named Wiggins. For the uninitiated, an excellent summation of the history and relationships of most of the characters in the RP can be found here.
Basic Components of the RP Tropes
open/close all folders
What To Expect In This Fan Verse
- Hilarity Ensues. Frequently.
- Affectionate Parody
- Misaimed Fandom
- Hurricane of Puns This is the community where wordplay isn't just a game, it's a way of life.
- No Fourth Wall
- Includes Medium Awareness
- And it's generally painted, too.
- Cops and Detectives
- They Fight Crime!
- "Sherlock Holmes: He's a doctor scarred by the war in Afghanistan! He's a substance-abusing dilettante private consulting detective! They Fight Crime!"
- They Fight Crime!
- Born in the Wrong Century Victorian England, anybody?
- Hired Guns
- Iconic Characters
- Manly Tears
- Showers of Angst
- Karaoke Boxes
- Fridge Logic
- Especially in the case of kidnappings: "In the original toons nobody got kidnapped in the middle of a sentence, but that's really the only way to make the joke funny in a written format. Though the general rule is that he's nice enough to hit Submit for you on the way out." Quote from this page.
- Remember the New Guy Occurs pretty much any time a new character shows up.
Baker Street Residents
Sherlock Holmes alias: Cumberholmes
- Sherlock Holmes He has his own Trope Name.
- A Born Detective
- Magnificent Bastard
- Byronic Hero
- Badass Longcoat
- Addiction Displacement, sort of.
- Potential Broken Ace.
- Dark and Troubled Past
- Forgets to Eat Or Chooses Not To, When On a Case.
- Nice to the Waiter Got him off a murder charge, to be specific.
- Sherlock Scan derived from his name; he knows your name, age, weight, blood type, and favorite flavour of icecream at a glance.
- Cumberholmes @irene_adlr_nrtn I can list everything you've touched and how often you've washed your hands over the last 24hrs by tasting your fingers.
- Sleeps with Everyone but You
- Not So Stoic
- When Disguised in Drag he is Berglind, an Attractive Bent-Gender.
- The Watson It is his name.
- Badass Adorable
- Badass Moustache is unfortunately absent.
- Deadly Doctor
- Often wears a Homemade Sweater from Hell
- "Sometimes it will actually look like a perfectly wearable sweater, but most characters will react to it as if it were the most hideous thing ever - an Informed Attribute that's like a distant unliving relative of Hollywood Homely."
- Similarly suffers from Impossibly Tacky Clothes that make him a Rummage Sale Reject.
- Improbable Aiming Skills
- Possesses a Limited Wardrobe
- Trademark Favorite Food: Jam!
- Usually The Cavalry for Sherlock, but the Yard and Mycroft can also fill that role.
- Did You Think I Can't Feel?, less extreme version though; see quote for a detail or two That Sounds Familiar.
- "Alice is an all around nice girl: she's quiet and maybe a bit of a pushover, but every so often she hints at having some deep Hidden Depths. She's sure to do whatever Bob asks her, not just because of her loyalty but because she "doesn't seem to mind". She may even have a crush on Bob, who seldom notices, dates everyone else but her, and asks her for dating advice. Over the course of the story Bob will go on adventures and drag Alice along with him, putting her through progressively more embarrassing, painful, and emotionally hurtful situations while ignoring her feelings. She won't complain, and will likely offer advice and help however she can."
- Never Mess with Granny
- Example of the Miniature Senior Citizens Trope.
- Could be Employing Obfuscating Insanity}
The Yard From Scotland That Is Actually Situated In London
- Also Known As Scotland Yard.
- Donut Mess with a Cop
- Must Have Caffeine
- Conservation of Competence
- Holds Escalating Wars of Prankish Natures.
- No Smoking
- Let's Get Dangerous!
- Inspector Lestrade Own Trope Name, again.
- Badass Normal
- Deadpan Snarker, although a good deal of the RP could technically fill this Trope at times.
- Token Grumpy Old Man by name only.
- Really more of a Grumpy Bear.
- Team Dad
- Pungeon Master
- Employed a Pre-Asskicking One-Liner before nailing Seb in the face.
- Can often be found Talking to Plants.
- The Klutz
- Team Mom, kind of. Mostly because Lestrade is the Team Dad.
- "In an ensemble show, especially of the fighting kind, there needs to be someone to hold this Rag Tag Bunch Of Misfits together before they kill each other or wander off into the woods like so many Player Characters."
- Fond of Scenery Porn, provided there are lots of plants.
- Stoic Woobie
- Apologises a Lot
- Shrinking Violet
- Extreme Doormat
- Nice Guy
- The Geek and the Nerd
- Basically all around Adorkable
- Surrounded by Idiots
- Bitch in Sheep's Clothing
- The Snark Knight
- Sassy Black Woman
Illustrates The Smurfette Principle, as she's the only Tweeting Female at the Yard.No longer applicable now that A. Jones is gossiping away on Twitter.
- Sarcastic Devotee
- Usually participates in, if not causes, an Escalating Prank War.
- Hyper-Competent Sidekick
- Take that, Original Canon.
- Adopts Everything's Better with Dinosaurs as his Personal Mantra.
- Beard of Barbarism Caveman-esque, really.
- Loves what everyone else considers to be Horrible Camping Trips.
- The Yard actually went so far as to go on a Team Building Form of this Trope.
- Owns a Big Friendly Dog.
- It might actually be more of a Hellhound.
- His Tent is Bigger on the Inside.
- Potential Mad Hatter
The British Government
- Large and in Charge
- Aloof Big Brother
- Quintessential British Gentleman
- The Spy Master
- Also a Pungeon Master
- Cited in Brilliant, but Lazy.
- Evil Is Sexy
- Evil Is Cool.
- Murder, Inc. Moriarty's Nebulous Evil Organisation.
- The Dark Side
- Magnificent Bastard
- Evil Counterpart to Sherlock, of course.
- Enfant Terrible Started his reign of terror as a youth with the horrible, virtually untraceable murder of Carl Powers; the adorable part is potentially disputable, however.
- The Don
- Mad Bomber
- Psycho for Hire It is practically his job description.
- Draco in Leather Pants Potentially also applies to Seb.
- Villain with Good Publicity More so for the name than the actual Trope.
- Psychopathic Manchild
- Big Bad
- I Lied He's soooooo changeable.
- Sharp-Dressed Man One Word: Westwood.
- So Sharply Dressed that he is, in fact, a Man of Wealth and Taste.
- Subverts the Vegetarian Clause in the Noble Profession Trope. (Although technically he is a Pescatarian and therefore may not count.)
- Affably Evil
- Card-Carrying Villain
- Mad Mathematician
- Acquired Poison Immunity to pretty much every lethal toxin known to MAN and BEAST.* Rated M for Manly
- Colonel Badass Also his actual army rank.
- The Dragon
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold
- Colonel Kilgore
- One-Man Army
- Major Injury Underreaction, arguably the King of This Trope.
- Real Men Eat Meat
- Definitely has Improbable Aiming Skills
- Great White Hunter
- The Man Your Man Could Smell Like
- Professional Killer
- Has a fascinating Back Story which can be found here: Painted Dreams and Burning Fires
- Femme Fatalons
Other ACD Canon Characters
Irene Adler-Norton alias: irene_adlr_nrtn
- Black Widow
- Classy Cat-Burglar
- Impossible Thief
- Like Sally, is also a Snark Knight
- May be a Fat Girl but can still Screw The Rules Because She's Beautiful, honey.
- Took a Level in Badass some time before the RP's beginning, which makes her aBadassTeacher
- The Piano Player
- She always has a quip at hand.
- In other words, she's taken many levels in Witty Banter
- Hormone-Addled Teenager
- Teen Genius
- Capable of Genius Programming
- Employs Hacked by a Pirate Methods
- Generally a physical embodiment of a Dartboard of Hate.
- Frequently Utilises Insane Troll Logic.
- Fond of Malicious Slander.
- Nightmare Fuel Station Attendant
- Slave to PR
- Nosy Neighbour
- Red Shirt Reporter
- Eyepatch After Time Skip
- Seems to be under the thumb of a Corrupt Corporate Executive who leaves him Chained to a Bed.
Other BBC Canon Characters
Angelo alias: Angelo_ok
- Catch Phrase : Ambiance.
- Could be considered a Pyro Maniac, although a friendly one.
- Part of The Clan with a Family Business featured in this RP.
- Subverts the One Steve Limit
- Almighty Janitor
- Gratuitous Italian
- The Shrink
- The Movie Buff
- Fond of Action-Adventure
- Will employ Implausible Deniability if caught partaking in them, however.
- Maiden Aunt Except not elderly and probably Straight Gay for Mary.
- Not a Friend to All Children
- You will never see her participating in a Shopping Montage. Ever.
Other Twitter Canon Characters
Hector Smythe alias: hectorsmythebrackenholmesGeoff Lestrade alias: lestradesnrMummy Moriarty alias: MummyMoriarty
Inspector Poirotalias: bloodypoirot
- Exotic Detective, mentioned on the actual page; one could argue that his twin moustaches are rather exotic.
- Poirot Speak
The Dearly Departed Who Also Have Access To Twitter
- Not Quite Dead
- Not My Driver Parodied when he comes back from the grave on Halloween to drive characters to a Party at the Holmes Estate.
- Was Once a Jerkass
- Politically Incorrect Villain
- Intentional Engrish for Funny
- Fantastic Racism (As Long as It Sounds Foreign)
- Accent Adaptation
- Could be considered Just a Stupid Accent.
They Never Tweet But We Still Tweet About Them
- Firmly believes that Misery Builds Character
- To her, There Is Only One Bed and his name is Greg.
- Fights Generic Ethnic Crime Gangs.
Semi-Related Role Plays
Infinite Sherlock alias: Ananta SherlockInfinite John alias: Ananta WatsonInfinite Mycroft alias: Ananta MycroftInfinite Irene alias: Ananta IreneInfinite Jim alias: Ananta MoriartyRoboHudson alias: RoboHudsonInfinite Jam alias: Ananta JamDeath Frisbee alias: Ananta HatGata alias: GataThe Hound/Snuffles alias: TheBaskerHound
Cpt Martin Crieff alias: FlyMeImFriendlyDouglas Richardson alias: SirDouglasMJNArthur Shappey alias: ArthurKnappShapCarl alias: FittonATCMary Sue Smiley alias marysuethatswho
The Doctor and His Sexy Tardis
- Love Dodecahedron The constantly-breaking-and-reforming relationships, crushes, and flirtations in this RP require graphs to understand.
- Parental Favoritism See Mummy's varying attitudes towards Mycroft, Bracken, and Sherlock; perhaps even Mrs. Moriarty's with her multiple sons named Jim, as well?
- Enough Ho Yay to keep you warm at night, but Jim also offers Suspiciously Specific Denial.
- Mistaken for Gay Applies to practically everyone in some form; most notably Sherlock and John; Seb and Jim.
- dilestrade: @M_forMoriarty @SebMoran You two are starting a trend of showing up at exactly the same moment. Like a gay echo.
- Batman & Robin Lestrade and Wigs.
- They do not, however, star in a terrible film.
- Well, not yet, at any rate.
- They do not, however, star in a terrible film.
- Cargo Ship Many a character has a beloved item.
- Example A: Sherlock's Coat.
- Example B: John and Jam.
- Heterosexual Life-Partners Seb and Jim; Sherlock and John
- Polyamory in the form of an Open Relationship Suggested label for the John/Sarah/Mary triangle that went on.
- Captain Smooth and Sergeant Rough Lestrade and Sally.
- Accidental Marriage When Cumberholmes married irene_adlr_nrtn in Vegas.
- Even Bad Men Love Their Mamas Sometimes their Henchmen do, too.
- Bar Brawl Started by Seb ends up with Lestrade carting him off to a Holding Cell.
- "Freaky Friday" Flip Sherlock and John accidentally Body-Swapped for about a day.