Refuge In Audacity: Professional Wrestling
- In 1991, Barry Darsow (formerly Smash of the tag team Demolition) was repackaged by WWE as "Repo Man", which was Exactly What It Says on the Tin. A horrible gimmick that was presumably aimed at provoking cheap heat from deadbeats, Darsow played the character so ridiculously over the top that it was hard to hate him.
- Every single thing that D-Generation X has ever done. There is not enough time in a week to list all of the jaw-dropping, boundary-crossing hijinks.
- In late 2005, WWE was at a loss for how to make the crowd root for John Cena and boo Kurt Angle. They tried all of the cheapest, most offensive tricks in the wrestling playbook to make Angle the bad guy: he began bashing America and was given an Arabic manager to interfere in his matches, all the while playing the xenophobic angle to attract as much cheap heat as possible. It failed because nobody was buying an anti-American Kurt Angle, and eventually Angle Lampshaded the difficulty in getting people to hate him by going even further into offensive territory. The resulting promo is generally held to be hilarious because nobody can take it seriously:
Kurt Angle: First of all, I'd like to say that: I hope the US loses the war in Iraq. And, uh, while I'm at it, I think the greatest country in the world is...France! Y'know, truth be told, I'm not a very big fan of..."the black people." And if I would go back in time, the one person in history I'd like to make tap out would have to be...Jesus! ...The point is, I can say anything I want to these idiots, and they'll still cheer for me!* Right on cue, the crowd cheers enthusiastically*
- After this, WWE finally gave up on trying to make Angle a heel. But they only did that when Batista got injured and Angle was switched to SD hastily. Maybe they weren't even planning on stopping there.
- Katie Vick. Triple H pretending to be Kane, having sex with his dead girlfriend in a casket. Not much of a refuge since the only person who really enjoyed the bit was Vince McMahon.
- WWE's Most Intimate Relationships Revealed segment on Raw when Jerry Springer hosted was very much this trope. It started with Jerry revealing that Kelly Kelly was secretly pregnant. Kelly reveals that she had a few drinks with Santino Marella and things happened. After Santino declared that he was the father, Kelly revealed that she needed someone to finish the job, MICHAEL COLE. This results in the possibility that Jerry Lawler may be the father, but Springer shoots that down because Jerry likes to pick up his chicks from recess. This brings out the Bella Twins and Nikki reveals that Brie is a man, resulting in a Catfight. Jerry steers that topic back to Kelly, and this brings out Chris Masters to reveal that he slept with Kelly, and this brings out his very angry girlfriend Eve Torres who also reveals she had an affair with THE GREAT KHALI! With almost all of the comedy characters accounted for, Jerry Springer reveals that he has the pregnancy test results back. Santino questions this possibility seeing as though this only happened three days ago, and Springer simply says, "I'm Jerry Springer." The results reveal the father to be Hornswoggle and this is too much for Jerry Springer of all people, and he begins to leave in disgust. Jerry Lawler then reveals that the entire segment was a prank and that the Great Khali probably does not even know what's happening. Khali's translator says that Khali felt like the audience in that this was a giant waste of time. To close out the segment, Lawler turns the tables on Jerry and reveals Springer's secret fling, MAE YOUNG! RAW goes to a commercial as Springer makes out with Mae.
- "Stone Cold" Steve Austin owned this trope.
- CM Punk is not far behind.
- The Attitude Era was all about the WWF trying to push the envelope further and further in an attempt to draw viewers from WCW. It finally got scaled back slightly when the Parents Television Council started threatening lawsuits and ended for good with the PG era.
- Speaking of the Attitude Era, we have The Godfather, played by Charles Wright, he of Papa Shango and Kama "the Supreme Fighting Machine" fame. With the "crash TV" format set in stone, it was probably only a matter of time before there was a wrestling pimp. To that end, The Godfather came out with Pimp Duds and at least 5 or 6 "hoes" every week, and would cut promos about smoking blunts and then offer his would-be opponent a night with the hoes instead of a proper match. Unsurprisingly, this got huge reactions from younger male fans.
Godfather: It's time, once again, for everybody to come aboard the... HOOOOOOOOOOOO TRAAAAAAIN!!!
- During Norman Smiley's match with Michael Shane (w/Francine) at MLW Revolutions, May 9, 2003, Francine, of course, got involved and gave him the Bronco Buster in the corner. Norman countered by grabbing the front of Francine's shorts and simulating oral sex. It didn't help, as Norman still lost the match.
- Two words: AJ Lee. She's put into a match against Kane so what does she do? She jumps into his arms and smooches him for at least two minutes. This is Kane we're talking about - the man who set Jim Ross on fire For the Evulz. And after the kiss is over, he simply walks out of the match.
- There really is no level AJ won't stoop to. She got another one over on Kane by dressing up as him and skipping around the ring during another of his matches. And she avoided any potential break up backlash by simply being too crazy for him to want anything to do with her.
- She managed to two-time Daniel Bryan and CM Punk and keep them coming back for more. As in she literally made out with each of them seconds after each other, with the other a couple of feet away.
- Her tweets also invoke this trope. She rather proudly boasts about airport security people playing with her underwear in her suitcases and her own public humiliations.
- Layla and the body scissors. It's a move that involves basically wrapping your legs around the opponent's stomach. And Layla does it facing her opponents. And blatantly makes it look like she's dry humping them. She's also got a bit of a reputation for groping her opponents during pins.