Referenced By: Mystery Science Theater 3000
References made to the comedic science fiction series Mystery Science Theater 3000
open/close all folders
- The very concept of an MST is basically imitating the show's style and applying to different things. Many MSTs are Fan Fiction using the series' characters, hence why the trope is placed in this folder.
- The authors of Calvin and Hobbes: The Series love the series, and it shows:
- A marathon framing device has Andy and Sherman reenacting the Thunderdome sketch with Socrates.
- Jack T. Robot's name is likely a reference to Crow.
- One episode has Dr. Brainstorm calling Jack "TV's Jack", presumably a reference to TV's Frank (and a reversal of sorts, since Brainstorm's first name is Frank).
- Calvin attempts to bug Susie in "A Club's Blow" by singing a mash-up of the theme songs to Sponge Bob Square Pants, this show, and Garfield and Friends.
- When several loud buzzers go off in "Electronic Invasion", Calvin shouts "WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!", upon which Hobbes tells him "Wrong show."
- From "Dark Laughter Part 1":
And people wonder why our landfills are full. Socrates:
Really? Then it's my duty as a citizen of This Island Earth
to make up for that! To the midway!
- In Chapter 34 of Nobody Dies, Rei shows that a window can be opened with the proper password: "HIEEEE-KEEEEEEBA!"
- Dino Attack RPG:
- Andrew, Laxus, Pterisa, and Dr. Cyborg riff movies together with agent Joike.
- Two other Dino Attack agents are named Gypsy and Observer.
- One of the comments in the com chatter references the recurring joke "Deep Hurting".
- In regards to Dino Attack agent Rowsdower, Joike comments that he has a stupid name, referencing MST3K's riff of The Final Sacrifice.
- Survival of the Fittest has Keiji Tanaka saying "Oh, poopie!"
- From an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall, part of the "Linkara Lost" arc: "If you're watching this, it means either I'm missing or I'm dead."
- Also, in his "Brave and the Bold #54" review, Linkara has Batman reading about "new petitions against tax", a stock phrase in movie newspapers that was the subject of a Running Gag on the show.
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: Tristan holding up a die and saying "This is going straight up my nose" is verbatim a quip from the riff on The Horror of Party Beach.
- The Simpsons:
- In The Itchy & Scratchy Movie Homer and Bart enter a movie theatre from the right side of the screen, making the same type of silhouettes as the characters.
- In Who Shot Mr. Burns, Part One the show is playing on Comedy Central on Moe's TV set.
- In Raging Bender Bender, Fry and Leila go to a movie theater. When Bender makes jokes about the film they're watching the silhouettes of Crow and Servo ironically tell him to be quiet.
- The Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "Invasion of the Secret Santas!" has Fun Haus mentioning that a Robot Santa seems scary.
- It is shown that Dr. Doofensmitz likes to MST bad movies in one episode.
- A scene in The Powerpuff Girls episode "Silent Treatment" has the girls sitting in a movie theater, positioned at the bottom right of the screen making fun of a movie as it plays.
- There was a similar scene in an Animaniacs episode with the Warner siblings.