References made to the comedic science fiction series Mystery Science Theater 3000 (1988-1999).
open/close all folders
- One issue of Archie Comics' Sonic the Hedgehog had some robots that looked quite a bit like Crow, Tom and Cambot.
- Empowered has Dr. Big McLargeHuge.
- Both Young Justice and Teen Titans Go! have several references to the series.
- In one My Little Pony Micro Series issue, a dress is based on elements of Crow, Tom, and the Satellite of Love, with one character commenting on "what a great riff" and another saying "It sticks!". In one My Little Pony: Friends Forever issue, pony versions of Dr. Forrestor, TV's Frank, and Pearl Forrestor are used.
- The very concept of an MST is basically imitating the show's style and applying to different things. Many MSTs are Fan Fiction using the series' characters, hence why the trope is placed in this folder.
- The authors of Calvin and Hobbes: The Series love the series, and it shows:
Andy: And people wonder why our landfills are full.
- A marathon framing device has Andy and Sherman reenacting the Thunderdome sketch with Socrates.
- Jack T. Robot's name is likely a reference to Crow.
- One episode has Dr. Brainstorm calling Jack "TV's Jack", presumably a reference to TV's Frank (and a reversal of sorts, since Brainstorm's first name is Frank).
- Calvin attempts to bug Susie in "A Club's Blow" by singing a mash-up of the theme songs to SpongeBob SquarePants, this show, and Garfield and Friends.
- When several loud buzzers go off in "Electronic Invasion", Calvin shouts "WE'VE GOT MOVIE SIGN!", upon which Hobbes tells him "Wrong show."
- From "Dark Laughter Part 1":
Socrates: Really? Then it's my duty as a citizen of This Island Earth to make up for that! To the midway!(This is probably more of a reference to Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie, which riffed This Island Earth.)
- In Chapter 34 of Nobody Dies, Rei shows that a window can be opened with the proper password: "HIEEEE-KEEEEEEBA!"
- Dino Attack RPG:
- Andrew, Laxus, Pterisa, and Dr. Cyborg riff movies together with agent Joike.
- Two other Dino Attack agents are named Gypsy and Observer.
- One of the comments in the com chatter references the recurring joke "Deep Hurting".
- In regards to Dino Attack agent Rowsdower, Joike comments that he has a stupid name, referencing MST3K's riff of The Final Sacrifice.
- Survival of the Fittest has Keiji Tanaka saying "Oh, poopie!"
- Borderlands has an achievements entitled "Can't We Get Beyond Thunderdome?"
- DragonFable has Rolith quoting the MST3K Mantra during the Code Monkey Challenge.
- The trailers for Portal 2 show a line-up of turrets, one of which proclaims "I'm different!"
- Team Fortress 2: In the replay update page, the Scout is pointing towards the screen in a similar manner to Joel/Mike's pose in most of the pictures of the shad-o-rama◊.
- Pony Fantasy VI has Pinkie Pie going to see a movie, which was apparently very boring, but some guys in the front row made fun of it the whole time.
- Also, you're asked whether you think Mike or Joel is funnier. Picking Joel summons some guards for you to fight.
- One of the pizza delivery boys in The Sims is named Torgo Pendragon.
- Escape Velocity has a number of references to the series: the adjacent systems of Manos and Torgo, another cluster of systems named Gamera, Guiron and Zigra, and a system named Gymkata containing a planet named Hikeeba. The Easter Eggs in the game include a killer forklift, the Satellite of Love and an alternate Opening Scroll parodying the MST3K Theme Tune.
- Kingdom of Loathing:
"They show a clip from the movie Batman & Robin, in which Mr. Freeze is trying to escape using some kind of jetpack contraption, and Batman swoops in behind him using his cape like a hang glider. Observer exclaims: 'Oh my God, they're docking!' I have no idea why I remember this so many years later."
- The warwelf monster is a reference to the bizarre accents sported by the actors in Werewolf, and two of its attacks reference other aspects of the movie (among them "Oh no, Paul! You is a werewolf!") The tiny plastic warwelf references this same line.
- Also, the name of Mt. McLargeHuge.
- The former LAAAAME Observatory had a Lovely Satellite (a reference to the Satellite of Love), as well as a paraphrase of the ending line of Red Zone Cuba: "Griffin ran all the way to Hell... with a penny and a broken cigarette."
- The same place has a very obscure reference to the 1st Annual MST3K Summer Blockbuster Review. Quote this site:
- The game's head writer even congratulated him for recognizing it!
"Just make sure to only use genuine interocitor parts to repair and maintain it."
- An enemy mosquito can randomly be named Nurse Feratu.
- The sub-molecule interocitor is a homage to This Island Earth, and the riff thereof:
- The Cymbal-Banging Monkey familiar can wink at you with bloodshot eyes, a reference to the demonic monkey from Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders.
- Star Wars Rebel Assault II features theater mode, which has R2-D2, Darth Vader and C-3P0 sitting like Joel/Mike and the Bots, while the cut scenes play with a Gag Sub.
- According to The Annotated Series, Guile thinks Mike was funnier than Joel.
- The Spoony Experiment quotes "WATCH OUT FOR SNAKES!"
- Zod's response to Terl's speech in To Boldly Flee: "Oh, bite me, it's fun".
- The "running theme" from Truncated Power Rangers is from the Angels Revenge episode.
- From an episode of Atop the Fourth Wall, part of the "Linkara Lost" arc: "If you're watching this, it means either I'm missing or I'm dead."
- Yu-Gi-Oh! The Abridged Series: Tristan holding up a die and saying "This is going straight up my nose" is verbatim a quip from the riff on The Horror of Party Beach.
- In Homestar Runner's 2014 Halloween toon, "I Killed Pom Pom", Marzipan is dressed as Tom Servo. She suggests she and Strong Sad watch a bad horror movie and "make snappy comments and obscure references while we watch it."
- The Simpsons:
- In "Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie", Homer and Bart enter a movie theatre from the right side of the screen, making the same type of silhouettes as the characters.
- In "Who Shot Mr. Burns (Part One)", the show is playing on Comedy Central on Moe's TV set.
- In "Bart's New Friend", silhouettes of Mike, Crow and Servo can be seen along with Homer and Bart's while they're riding a parody of Soarin' Over California.
- In "Raging Bender", Bender, Fry and Leila go to a movie theater. When Fry makes jokes about the news reel they're watching the silhouettes of Crow and Servo ironically tell him to be quiet.
- The Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode "Invasion of the Secret Santas!" has Fun Haus mentioning that a Robot Santa seems scary.
- It is shown that Dr. Doofensmitz likes to MST bad movies in one episode.
- A scene in The Powerpuff Girls episode "Silent Treatment" has the girls sitting in a movie theater, positioned at the bottom right of the screen making fun of a movie as it plays.
- In the "Potty Emergency" episode of Animaniacs, the Warner siblings are watching a poorly-made black-and-white sci-fi film. At one point, when the movie cuts to an exterior shot, the letters "MST3K" are visible.