Referenced By / Arsène Lupin
Naturally, the show itself is created as a Take That
to Britain, and almost any reference to Arsene Lupin will also include a reference to Sherlock Holmes. However, many works will be referencing Lupin simply because he is the archtypical Gentleman Thief
. All of these works have shown some degree of Homage
to this classic Phantom Thief
. Or maybe they were just lucky enough to see him during a crime....
- Episode 2 of Fist of the North Star, "The Deadly Fist of Lingering Regret! The Future is Sighted in the Barren Desert": "Kaitoo Lupin", meaning Lupin the Phantom Thief a.k.a. the original Arsene Lupin, Yeah, I'm pretty much the next Arsene Lupin!
- Lupin III will always be an autonomic reference to this work, but some examples stand out.
- Aria the Scarlet Ammo has a character sometimes called Lupin. She is the great-granddaughter of the original Arsene Lupin. The enemy of Sherlock Holmes's great-granddaughter, Aria. She's obsessed with surpassing her legacy and being known by her name, rather than by her family name.
- Night Hood is a cartoon series based on the original stories by Maurice Leblanc. The series is set in the 1930s.
- Cat's Eye has a French thief as a rival to the main characters, her name is "Lupin's Bride".
- Final Fantasy X-2 has a character with the name LeBlanc, which is a reference to Maurice LeBlanc, the French writer who created the Arsene Lupin series.
- The main persona of the protagonist in Persona 5 is named Arsene, after this thief. Fitting because the main protagonists in the game are Phantom Thieves themselves.
- In the Drive portion of Kamen Rider X Kamen Rider Drive And Gaim Movie War Full Throttle, Shinnouske and the gang try to stop a thief known as Ultimate Thief Lupin. He later gains the ability to transform into Kamen Rider Lupin.
- Lupin appears in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:Black Dossier as a member of a French counterpart to the League called Les Hommes Mysterioux .
- In the Disney Ducks Comic Universe story The Black Knight, the eponymous Black Knight is a French Gentleman Thief whose real name is Arpin Lusène.
- In a Dragon article about Lupines, canine humanoids from the world of Mystara, mention is made of a brilliant Lupine thief called Arsene Lupine.