- Blazing Saddles:
Hedley Lamarr: Qualifications?
Applicant: Rape, murder, arson, and rape.
Hedley Lamarr: You said rape twice.
Applicant: I like rape.
- Hot Shots! Part Deux
Saddam: Now I will kill you until you die from it, you imperialist yankee doodle dork of a pig!
- Last Action Hero:
Nick: There are lots of things worse than movies: politicians, wars, forest fires, famine, plague, sickness, pain, warts, politicians...
Jack Slater: You already mentioned them.
Nick: I know I did. They are twice as bad as anything else.
- The Rocky Horror Picture Show
- Jurassic Park
Malcolm: Now eventually you do plan to have dinosaurs on your, on your dinosaur tour, RIGHT ?
- Chicken Run:
Rocky: You see, flying takes three things: hard work, perseverance and... hard work.
Fowler: You said "hard work" twice!
Rocky: That's because it takes twice as much work as perseverance.
- Cannonball Run II:
Don Canneloni: In the past, the Canneloni family was the most powerful of the families. We controlled drugs, prostitution, extortion, prostitution, gambling...
Slim: Uh, you said "prostitution" twice.
Don Canneloni: Well, I like it.
- Used twice in Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story. First with the ADAA, the American Dodgeball Association of America, and then with Patches O'Houlihan's Five D's of Dodgeball: Dodge, Duck, Dip, Dive, and... Dodge.
White Goodman: Get off of me, don't you touch me! It is over between us, Kate. Nobody makes me bleed my own blood - nobody!
- "The first rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club. Second rule of Fight Club is: You do not talk about Fight Club."
- Lost in Translation has the airport announcer right at the beginning: "Welcome to Tokyo International Airport. Welcome."
- Monty Python and the Holy Grail used this in the famous "Holy Hand Grenade" scene. "First shalt thou take out the Holy Pin, then shalt thou count to three, no more, no less. Three shall be the number thou shalt count, and the number of the counting shall be three. Four shalt thou not count, neither count thou two, excepting that thou then proceedest on to three. Five is right out. Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."
- The "Five is right out" line is referenced in another example of redundant repetition; see The Powerpuff Girls.
- "Manos" The Hands of Fate has so many examples that they would fill this page.
- Michael: "She's my baby. She'll understand. She's my baby. She'll understand."
- The Master: "Arise my wives. Give ear to the words of Manos. Arise my wives! And hear the will of Manos!"
- Torgo: "There is no way out of here. It will be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
- "There is nothing to fear, madam. The Master likes you. Nothing will happen to you. He likes you."
- "Dead? No, madam. Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always. Not dead the way you know it. He is with us always."
- Basically just Torgo. He seems to think the Master would not approve.
- Even Torgo's theme is redundant.
- Even the title is redundant when knowing that "manos" is Spanish for "hands." Hands: The Hands of Fate
- In Disney's animated version of The Sword in the Stone, during the Wizards' Duel, one of the rules is that there's no cheating (ie it's against the rules to break the rules).
- Used in Charity's monologue from Sweet Charity:
"You know what I did today? I looked at furniture. Bedroom sets, kitchen sets, bedroom sets, living room sets, bedroom sets."
- The Power Rangers Turbo movie features this exchange near the beginning:
Lt. Stone: Boys, listen up, because you know how I hate to repeat myself. I HATE to repeat myself.
Bulk: You just did, sir!
- John Cusack's character in High Fidelity says his favorite book is "Johnny Cash's autobiography 'Cash' by Johnny Cash".
- It seems Lampy seems to do this sometimes:
Lampy: And exactly how do you propose we do that, uh, exactly?
- Finding Nemo:
Dory: I shall call him Squishy, and he shall be mine. And he shall be my Squishy.
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull:
Indy: Their treasure wasn't gold; it was knowledge. Knowledge was their treasure.
- In the Turkish translation of Star Wars (not to be confused with "The Man Who Saves the World", aka Turkish Star Wars), the line "The Jedi's strength comes from the Force." turns into "Jedi'ın gücü Güç'ten gelir." which in Turkish roughly means "The Jedi's power comes from the Power.", roughly. That translation has now become a minor Turkish meme.
- If you want to get technical, the word ending -ling means young/beginner. So Youngling means young-young. Sorta made the line "He killed the younglings" lose all drama, as well as just making most people crack up.
- An MGM short from 1935 called La Fiesta de Santa Barbara uses this for humorous effect during one of its narrator's helpful translations: "You may be asking, what is a 'fiesta'? Well, 'fiesta' comes from the Spanish word 'fiesta', which means... 'fiesta'."
- The infamous Plan 9 from Outer Space features this prediction from the opening narrator Criswell:
Future events such as these will affect you in the future.
- Also from Ed Wood, in Glen or Glenda? the narrator offers the following observation:
Glen is not a homosexual. Glen is a transvestite, but he is not a homosexual.
- Possibly justified, as the two are regularly confused for each other.
- Disney's animated Robin Hood:
Prince John: I sentence you to sudden, instant, and even immediate death!
- And then again not a minute later when he stops the execution (because Little John has a knife at his back)
Prince John: Stop! Executioner stop! Hold your axe!
- "If I tattletale, I'll die till I'm dead."
- A Night at the Opera: "The party of the first part shall hereafter be known in this contract as the party of the first part..."
- Also, from Horse Feathers: "Members of the faculty and faculty members, students of Huxley and Huxley students. That about covers everyone."
- Dug from Up does this a lot:
My master made me this collar. He is a good and smart master and he made me this collar so that I may speak-SQUIRREL! [looks to distance for a few seconds] Dug:
My master is good and smart. Carl Fredricksen:
It's not possible! Dug:
Oh it is because my master is smart!
- The url of Fear Dot Com's titular website is feardotcom.com. It so happened that fear.com was already owned.
- Austin Powers: "Allow myself to introduce... [awkward pause] myself."
- "What do you know about... my father's where... about... s?"
- Little-known movie My Life's In Turnaround has a scene where the two main characters (roommates) are fighting, and one tells the other:
"Go ahead and leave! Just leave me here. Then I'll die alone and, and, and dead and ... alone."
- Roger Ebert, in his review of Deuce Bigalow Male Gigolo made the observation that the movie's title is redundant.
- In Mickey Blue Eyes, the name of Hugh Grant's father-in-law's restaurant is "The La Trattoria," which roughly translates into "The The Restaurant."
- One of the many Narmy lines from The Last Airbender.
Yue: This time we show the fire nation that we believe in our beliefs as much as they believe in theirs.
- Also, "There is a spiritual place. The city was built around this place." And, "We have to find teachers, teachers to teach you bending!" Although it has been pointed out that the latter actually sounds like a line that Sokka from the original series would say, being such a Deadpan Snarker. In the movie, though, Sokka says the line completely seriously.
- The Lost Skeleton of Cadavra when The Skeleton explains its plan.
The Skeleton: Once I am bought back to life, together you and I will rule the World together.
- The advertising tagline that appears on the movie poster for the Scott Pilgrim vs. The World film: "An epic of epic epicness."
- Also, about halfway through the movie, the evil ex-girlfriend ninja delivers this gem: "Next time, I'll be deadly serious next time."
- Let's not forget Scott introducing his teenage girlfriend to his roommate: "Hey, Knives, this is Wallace Wells, my cool, gay roommate. He's gay."
- Scott at one point uses the insult "You cocky cock!"
- From What Happens in Vegas: "She is a wily temptress [...] and what do wily temptresses do, Jack? They tempt, in a wily fashion."
- Cranked Up to Eleven from Zoolander:
Derek: Maybe you don't understand that the world doesn't revolve around you and your 'Do whatever it takes, ruin as many people's lives, just so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose, or people you leave dead and bloodied along the way, just so long as you can make a name for yourself as an investigatory journalist, no matter how many friends you lose, or people you leave dead and bloodied and dying along the way?'
- Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country:
Chekov: I don't understand. If there was another ship, surely the assassins beamed aboard from that vessel, not Enterprise.
Spock: You're forgetting something, Mr. Chekov. According to our databanks, this ship fired those torpedoes. If we did, the killers are here. If we did not, whoever altered the databanks is here. In either case, what we are looking for is here.
- That's not so much 'redundancy' as Spock meticulously completing the syllogism.
- Lampshaded in Robin Hood: Men in Tights:
Prince John: Send word to one and all, and all and one... it's a little redundant, isn't it?
Prince John: SHUT UP!!
- From Mean Girls, after Regina has gotten back together with Aaron despite knowing that Cady likes him:
Cady: Why would she do that?
Janis: Because she's a life ruiner. She ruins peoples' lives.
- The title of Rockumentary Anvil! The Story of Anvil.
- Mystery Team
Charlie: And THIS is the LUMBERYARD!
- The Evil Dead movies lift Lovecraft's Necronomicon as a major plotpoint, adding the Latin suffix "ex mortis." Since "Necronomicon" is already derived from the Greek "book of the dead," the full name is basically "The Book of the Dead of the Dead."
- Pirates of the Caribbean
There is a girl. A female. Of the opposite sex.
Will: "You want me to find this?"
Jack: "No. You want you to find this. Because the finding of this finds you incapacitorially finding and/or locating in your discovering the detecting of a way to save your dolly belle ol' what's-her-face. Savvy?"
- From Bad Teacher:
"You can explain it tomorrow to the principal and the superintendent at the meeting you have with the principal and the superintendent tomorrow at the meeting. Tomorrow!"
- From The Gamers: Dorkness Rising after a TPK:
Leo: You are supposed to keep healing me!
Gary: Which brings me to my lack of powers which I didn't have after I lost them! Did I mention losing my powers?"
- Lampshaded and justified in Get Smart:
It's over, Max. I'll be taking that briefcase now. Max:
If you want it, you'll have to take it. The Mole:
That's... what I just said
I know; I was just trying to annoy you.
- Inception: The title, Inception, is displayed three separate times in the end credits. Inception.
- In Batman Begins the Gotham City Police cars are clearly labeled "GPD POLICE". Gotham Police Department Police?
- Clearly they're the police police who police police.
- But if police police polices police, who polices police police?
- Police police police polices police police!
- Attack of the The Eye Creatures.
- Singin' in the Rain has this gem from Lila Lamont: "It makes us all feel as though all our hard work ain't been in vain for nothin'."
- In The Man with the Golden Gun, J.W. Pepper recognizes James Bond from the previous movie:
"You're that secret agent! That English secret agent! From England!"
- From the credits for Lethal Weapon 3: "Story by Jeffrey Boam; Screenplay by Jeffrey Boam and Jeffrey Boam & Robert Mark Kamen."
- In a trial scene in A Few Good Men, there's this line of questioning of the witness Colonel Jessup:
Col. Jessup: I felt his life might be in danger once word of the letter got out.
Lt. Kaffee: Grave danger?
- Pacific Rim: "First, never touch me again. Second, never touch me again."
- The Little Rascals: During Alfalfa and Darla's 1st meeting with Waldo:
I'll be appearing in the talent show coming up. Alfalfa:
Yeah! The two of us will both be singing a duet. Together. Waldo: How redundant.
- Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014):
Eric Sacks: And we will drain every last ounce of their blood to get it, even if it kills them.
- This announcement by a sergeant in Zorro The Gay Blade:
"Zorro, the bandit, for crimes against the peoples, and against the country, and against the state, the city, and the village, you are sentenced to be executed, until you are dead!"
- In the Apocalypse film series, the name of the One World Order is One Nation Earth, or O.N.E., just in case you don't get it the first time.
- A UK TV spot for The Equalizer warns viewers that the film contains "Strong bloody violence, sexual scenes, and strong violence".
- Rock of Ages:
Patricia Whitmore about Stacee Jaxx:
"This man spews out three things
: sex, hateful music...and...sex!"
- The Emperor's New Groove:
Kronk: Riiiight, the poison, the poison for Kuzco, the poison specially chosen to kill Kuzco, Kuzco's poison.
- In The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water, when Plankton is trying to tell Mr. Krabs that the formula literally disappeared, Mr. Krabs answers with: "Why should I believe YOU, you lying liar?!"