Recap / Xena S 03 E 08 The King Of Assassins
When Joxer's twin brother Jett plans to assassinate Cleopatra with the help of Autolycus, Gabrielle uses as many Xena-like tactics as possible to try to stop the murder.
- Acting for Two: Ted Raimi played Joxer and his identical brother Jett.
- Asshole Victim: Autolycus and Jett start out attempting to steal a sword. The owner discovers what they're doing, so Jett kills him immediately. He reasons that no one will care since the guy was a warlord.
- Bad "Bad Acting": When called upon to impersonate each other, neither Joxer nor Jett are very good at it.
- Double Entendre: "I have been grabbed more times than the Golden Fleece!"
- Even Evil Has Loved Ones: Jett's a murderer and a bully, but he loves his brother.
- Everybody Has Standards: Autolycus had no problem working with Jett until he found out he's actually a killer.
"I don't do murder."
- Hero of Another Story: Xena is off pursuing a warlord for most of the episode.
- Hypocritical Heartwarming: "Nobody hurts my brother, except me."
- Late-Arrival Spoiler: Cleopatra being Jett's target was, at the time, played as a surprise saved for halfway through the episode.
- The Mole: Pontius (Cleopatra's chief of security) is actually loyal to her brother, Ptolemy, and hired Jett to kill her.
- Nothing Personal: Jett doesn't begrudge Joxer for being caught and sent to prison. He even looks forward to seeing their father.
- Parental Favoritism: According to Joxer, Jett is favored by both parents.
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Autolycus after seeing what Jett's really like. Gabrielle has to guilt him into helping out.
- Straight Man: Gabrielle to Autolycus and Joxer.
- Throw the Dog a Bone: Gabrielle insists on trying things like Xena would, ignoring suggestions to just warn Cleopatra about Jett. However, Xena says that's actually what she would've done and asks Gabrielle why she didn't. Autolycus (who had been complaining about Gabrielle's Xena plans) then steps in to help her save face in front of Xena.
"Ah, now, Xena, that's easy for you to say. You weren't there. Gabrielle's plan kept Jett off-balance long enough to find a man on the inside, right?"
- The Unfavorite: Joxer to his family.
Joxer: My whole life's been, "Jett stole some horses. Jett torched a village. Jett killed the neighbors." My parents were so proud.
Autolycus: Whoa, back up. They were proud of the black sheep of the family?
Joxer: No, I'm the black sheep. My father's a warlord. My mother's a warlord's wife. My whole family's like that.