Recap: Welcome To Night Vale Ep 5 The Shape In Grove Park
"Close your eyes. Let my words wash over you. You are safe now. Welcome to Night Vale."
A protest against the removal of the Shape In Grove Park That No One Acknowledges Or Speaks About. Plus, changes to the school curriculum, a growing tarantula problem in town, and musical auditions!
Tropes present in The Shape in Grove Park include:
- Academy of Adventure: Subverted. Night Vale Elementary has replaced live ammo drills with textbook readings and traditional exams.
- Astral Projection: Teachers used to use these to teach, but now they must be physically present in the classroom during class periods.
- Blatant Lies: An angel tells Old Woman Josie that the woman she saw was Rita Hayworth. The woman in question is morbidly obese and Hispanic and Hayworth died in 1987.
- Body Horror: Michael Sandero grows a second head, which everyone likes better than the original.
- Bread Milk Eggs Squick: The city council wants to remove the Shape to make way for a new swing set, picnic area, and bloodstone circle.
- Red Shirt: Intern Leland, who was vaporized by a mysterious laser.
- Serious Business: Cecil warns anyone auditioning for the community theater's fall show not to sing anything from South Pacific.
"Today’s Proverb: A million dollars isn't cool. You know what’s cool? A basilisk."