Recap: Welcome To Night Vale Ep 5 The Shape In Grove Park
"Close your eyes. Let my words wash over you. You are safe now. Welcome to Night Vale."A protest against the removal of the Shape In Grove Park That No One Acknowledges Or Speaks About. Plus, changes to the school curriculum, a growing tarantula problem in town, and musical auditions!
Tropes present in The Shape in Grove Park include:
- Academy of Adventure: Subverted. Night Vale Elementary has replaced live ammo drills with textbook readings and traditional exams.
- Astral Projection: Teachers used to use these to teach, but now they must be physically present in the classroom during class periods.
- Blatant Lies: An angel tells Old Woman Josie that the woman she saw was Rita Hayworth. The woman in question is morbidly obese and Hispanic and Hayworth died in 1987.
- Body Horror: Michael Sandero grows a second head, which everyone likes better than the original.
- Bread Milk Eggs Squick: The city council wants to remove the Shape to make way for a new swing set, picnic area, and bloodstone circle.
- Red Shirt: Intern Leland, who was vaporized by a mysterious laser.
- Serious Business: Cecil warns anyone auditioning for the community theater's fall show not to sing anything from South Pacific.
"Today’s Proverb: A million dollars isn't cool. You know what’s cool? A basilisk."