"The arctic is lit by the midnight sun. The surface of the moon is lit by the face of the earth. Our little town is lit, too, by lights just above that we cannot explain. Welcome to Night Vale."It's contract renewal time with Station Management, and negotiations get tricky. Plus, a new city litter initiative, books stop working, and a creeping fear comes to town!
Tropes present in Station Management include:
- Bizarrchitecture: Station management's office doesn't make sense given the size of the building.
- Books That Bite: All around Night Vale, books have stopped working. Words used include "sparks", "meat smell", "biting", and "lethal gas".
- Bystander Syndrome: One of the hooded figures openly steals babies, but no one ever tries to stop him.
- Cliffhanger: The episode ends with Cecil hiding under his desk from Station Management, unsure whether he'll be able to escape.
- Deer in the Headlights: Cecil momentarily falls into this mode while under the effect of the Creeping Fear.
- Department of Redundancy Department: The flavor of Big Rico's Pizza is scrumptious. The taste is also scrumptious.
- Disproportionate Retribution: Station management threatened to shut down Cecil's show, or possibly kill him, for talking about them on the air.
- Eldritch Abominations: Station Management.
- Emotion Bomb: A creeping fear passed over Night Vale, causing everyone to momentarily feel mortal terror for no discernible reason - all except Old Woman Josie, who was protected by the angels.
- Nothing Is Scarier: Station Management.
- Pointless Civic Project: The Night Vale Stadium, as well as the Night Vale Harbor And Waterfront Recreation Area.
- Red Shirt: Chad, the intern sent to buy tennis rackets from the Used and Discount Sporting Goods store. He is the first of many Night Vale interns to fall victim to this trope.
- Serious Business: How dare Telly the barber shear Carlos's beautiful, perfect hair!
- Shrouded in Myth: Station management, who just lock themselves in their office only responding through letters.
"Todayís proverb: Thereís a special place in Hell. Itís really hip. Very exclusive."