Recap: Welcome To Night Vale Ep 1 Pilot
"A friendly desert community where the sun is hot, the moon is beautiful, and mysterious lights pass overhead while we all pretend to sleep. Welcome to Night Vale."The City Council announces the opening of a new Dog Park. They would like to remind citizens that dogs are not allowed in the dog park. A new scientist named Carlos comes to town, and his hair entrances everyone who looks at it. Teddy Williams, owner of The Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex, discovers something strange beneath the pin-retrieval area of lane five. There is also a helpful guide to helicopter identification, and the community calendar.
Tropes present in Pilot include:
- Beneath the Earth: Teddy Williams discovers a vast underground city beneath The Desert Flower Bowling Alley and Arcade Fun Complex.
- Black Helicopter: They're from the world government. You probably don't want your kids to play nearby. But the blue ones are only the Sheriff's Secret Police. They're perfectly safe.
- Book Ends: Discussed when Cecil talks about death.I think the best way to die would be swallowed by a giant snake. Going feet first and whole into a slimy maw would give your life perfect symmetry.
- Establishing Series Moment: The opening statement describes Night Vale quite well.
- Hot Scientist: Carlos, perfect Carlos.
- Magical Native American: Invoked by the Apache Tracker, despite being a white guy, of "maybe Slavic origin". What an asshole.
- Our Angels Are Different: Ten feet tall, radiant, and one of them was black. They appeared to Old Woman Josie and decided to come live with her.
- Small Town Rivalry: Night Vale and Desert Bluffs. Cecil speculates that Desert Bluffs sent a commercial jet into the Night Vale Elementary gym to delay their basketball practice before a big game.
- The Treachery of Images: The house that looks like it exists but doesn't.
- World's Most Beautiful Man: Beautiful Carlos again.
"Today's Proverb: Look to the north. Keep looking. There's nothing coming from the south."