Lord Hater's conquest of a peaceful planet is interrupted when he notices that Wander has a trophy "For the Greatest" and he becomes obsessed over obtaining it for himself.
The Greatest provides examples of...
- Accidental Misnaming: Lord Hater initially refers to his new planet as "Banglebrop".King Bingleborp: ...It's Bingleborp.
Lord Hater: I'LL CALL MY NEW PLANET WHATEVER I WANT!
- Added Alliterative Appeal:Lord Hater: I have mangled the minds of millions! I have tempted forth torrential tides of tears! I have reduced the richest republics to rubble and ruin! Because I am the greatest in all the galaxy!!
- Ambiguously Gay: While the Watchdogs are enjoying the festival to Wander's content, they are briefly seen kissing each other, when all of the Watchdogs are male, suggesting homosexual implications.
- Answer Cut: After Hater takes over Bingleborp, two of the Binglebops wonder "Whoever will save us now?" Pan up to Wander and Sylvia watching from a nearby mountaintop... when Wander starts gushing over the rides and games at the (ruined) Bingleberry Festival, while Sylvia expresses her frustration with Lord Hater's campaign of interplanetary conquest and her desire to punch his lights out.
- Assumed Win: When the "judge" of the impromptu contest between Hater and Wander for "Greatest in the Galaxy" indicates the winner as "you", Lord Hater assumes he's talking about himself. The judge has to clarify "No, the other guy, the one in the hat."
- Egopolis: Lord Hater tried to do this to the Planet Bingleborp. Hater's a bit of an egomaniac, as evidenced by all the designs (and theme song) on his ship.
- Everything Makes a Mushroom: Lord Hater's ship explodes in a giant mushroom cloud after it crashes into a moon.
- Hammerspace: Wander's magic hat, that holds his trophy.
- Long List:
Wander: Have you ever done this? ... Have you ever rolled your tongue? Have you ever done a ditty? ... Have you ever stood on one foot? Outrun a kitten? Went to a roller rink? Found a penny? Moved a couch? Ate a hundred hot dogs?
- Apparently, the list of "Hater's Laws" is pretty long, with over 9,800 rules.
- Wander's list of things he's done:
- Mood Whiplash:
Wander: Well, congratulations! That's amazing!
- Wander and Sylvia are introduced on a mountain looking serious as western music plays in the background, then Wander ruins the moment when he begins ogling over the Bingleberry Festival forgetting that itís in disrepair.
- There's a scene where an enraged Lord Hater looms over a frightened Wander and Sylvia, proclaiming he's the greatest in the galaxy. Immediately after this tense moment...Wander gives Hater a great big hug with a heart appearing in the background.
- Pardon My Klingon: Sylvia calls Lord Hater a "flarg-nargling, no-fun-having jerk".
- Schmuck Bait: Wander and Sylvia use Hater's competitive streak against him.Wander: Hey, Hater! Final challenge for the win!
Sylvia: Last one into the town is a rotten egg!
- Sugar Apocalypse: Bingleborp undergoes this once Lord Hater invades at the beginning of the episode.
- Theme Tune Cameo: After Wander convinces the Watchdogs to enjoy the fair, they start singing a wordless version of the theme tune.
Wander and Sylvia have to return a huge egg to its nest while being chased by a flying monster.
The Egg provides examples of...
- Absentee Actor: Lord Hater and the Watchdogs don't appear in this episode.
- Big Creepy-Crawlies: Eventually it turns out that the baby and it's parent is this. However, they can be friendly to those who pose no threat to them.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Dragon soon proves to be stronger than Sylvia and seriously roughs her up by tossing Sylvia around and dropping rocks on her. Gets even worse when Wander and Sylvia tries to get the egg back to the nest since the dragon now attacks them with fire and ice breath.
- Early Installment Weirdness: So far after this episode Wander hasn't realized Sylvia was right all along.
- Exact Words: Sylvia constantly tells Wander that the beast wants to eat them and returning an egg won't help. She's right.
- FiveSecondForeshadowing: The second time the "Mother and Child" song plays as the egg hatches, the words "Look out, that's the wrong baby" can be heard, which signals that this isn't the beast's baby.
- Lyrical Dissonance: The song "The Bronco's Buck" is upbeat and funny, but Sylvia is going through various obstacles that hinder and maim her to the boiling point.
- Mama Bear: Double subverted with the black dragon. She seems to show her motherly side when the egg starts to hatch, but becomes vicious once it turns out the baby is not hers. Played straight with the giant bumblebee mother who shows up and roars the dragon into submission when the dragon tries to eat the bumblebee's baby and Sylvia.
- Minimalist Cast: Only Wander and Sylvia appear.
- Mood Whiplash: Right after Sylvia gets burnt by the beast's fire Wander is shown to be saddened, but then he slowly smiles and gets his banjo out in turn, cuing the eventual song.
- When the egg hatches atop the mountain, everything seems exciting and heartwarming... until it's revealed the baby is not the beast's and she begins charging for it. It comes out in Wander's mood as well.
- Nice Job Breaking It, Hero!: After Sylvia gets the egg to its nest and it hatches, it is revealed not to be the baby of the beast resulting in Wander's plan to be unsuccessful.
- Oh, Crap!: Wander's reaction to the beast furiously charging for the hatched baby instead of uniting with it.
- Say My Name: "SYLVIAAAAA!!!"
- Screw This, I'm Outta Here!: Sylvia leaves the egg alone in the nest just after getting it there, knowing that she and Wander are in danger and won't be tricked. Of course, she was right.
- Shoo Out the Clowns: When Wander is yelling for Sylvia, he is missing during the scene where she protects the baby from the real monster, and only reappears during the real reunion minutes later.
- Staggered Zoom: Sylvia gets one when refusing to hug the egg.
- Suspiciously Apropos Music: The actions mentioned in Wander's egg song match what happens to Sylvia when going up the mountain.
Back to Wander over Yonder or back to the recap page.