Recap: Transformers Prime S 1 E 19 Rock Bottom
Waiting outside a mine opening, Miko complains loudly to Jack that she'd rather be at the Slash Monkey metal concert she's been looking forward to. Arcee and Bulkhead emerge from the entrance, confused that the mine seems to be stripped, although there's an Energon signal coming from inside. While they're still discussing the conundrum, Miko runs into the mine to take a look, resulting in Bulkhead chasing her inside and Jack persuading Arcee to let him go in as well. Moments after they step inside, Megatron and Starscream land at the mine entrance. Starscream is confused as to why they have come to an exhausted mine, but Megatron leads the way inside.Bulkhead finds Miko testing the acoustics in a cavern. While she's whooping and yelling, Bulkhead's detector bleeps, and he attempts to contact Arcee. The comms, however, are useless due to interference from the rock surrounding them. Bulkhead decides to get a sample for Ratchet and begins breaking pieces off the rock he's found.Inside the mine, Megatron and Starscream find Decepticon mining equipment. Starscream tries to blame its presence on an error by Soundwave, but Megatron plucks a chunk of Energon from the wall and explains that he's been keeping up with Starscream's many plots, thanks to Soundwave's spying. He explains that he's let Starscream continue until now for his own amusement, but believes that enough is enough. Starscream pleads for his life...and it's this scene that Jack and Arcee stumble upon. Megatron begins firing on the two newcomers and Starscream sees his chance to try to escape. Enraged, Megatron fires after him. Arcee takes advantage of Megatron's distraction and fires, causing him to discharge his fusion cannon into the ceiling, which gives way. Massive rocks fall on Megatron, causing the floor to start caving in as well, and both Arcee and Jack fall into a swiftly-widening hole.In the cavern, Bulkhead protects Miko from the falling rocks.Starscream, speeding through the mine in his jet mode, is hit by rocks and can only cry out as the tunnel to the mine entrance collapses.In the aftermath, Jack struggles up to find himself alone in the cave and goes searching for the others.Miko likewise picks herself up to find Bulkhead holding up a huge chunk of the ceiling, preventing it from caving in on them. They have no idea as to what caused the cave-in, but Miko starts trying to clear the rocks away so that they can get out.Starscream pulls himself free of the mine and into the open air. He experiences a brief moment of triumph before realizing that Megatron has survived worse. He muses that if he doesn't make some attempt to rescue his leader, the other Decepticons surely will, which will mean problems for Starscream in the long run. Besides, he concludes, he can take the credit if he succeeds.Still searching inside the cave, Jack stumbles upon one of the Decepticon mining drills.As night falls outside, Miko is tiring from her work. Bulkhead points out there's limited oxygen, and she's using it faster by exerting herself. Miko protests, saying that she has to get Bulkhead out; he says he's fine, although his creaking servos tell a different story.Elsewhere in the cave, Jack gets the mining drill working and begins guiding it to find the others.In the partially-collapsed cavern, Bulkhead and Miko hear drilling. Miko yells out weakly, and Bulkhead tells her to hit his foot with a rock to make a noise.Meanwhile, Jack uses the drill to clear a path, only to uncover Megatron's face; the rest of him is still pinned by fallen rock. Megatron suggests that Jack should use the drill to finish him, but Jack doesn't believe Optimus Prime would want Megatron killed that way and drills off in another direction.Miko continues banging Bulkhead's foot, but a noise stops her and Bulkhead has to admit that his arms are starting to fail. She hits him a couple more times before someone starts to break through the wall. Unfortunately, their joy is short-lived as it turns out to be Starscream. Bulkhead asks him to let Miko go, but Miko refuses to leave Bulkhead. Starscream menaces her until Bulkhead gives him a solid kick. Starscream recovers from that, only to be knocked down by Jack's drill as it comes through the wall. Miko is quickly persuaded to hop aboard the drill, which she does tearfully, and the two humans back out, leaving Bulkhead and Starscream alone. Jack and Miko start trying to dig their way out, but Jack suddenly stops the drill dead as a large foot comes down in front of them.Starscream is pleased. Now not only will he be able to rescue Megatron, but he'll have Bulkhead as a gift. Unfortunately for him, Arcee appears with a gun pointed at his head and tells him to raise his hands.The Autobots exit the mine with the kids and briefly discuss finishing off the Decepticons. When they decide that Optimus wouldn't do it, they go home instead.Starscream strains to hold up the rock that Bulkhead had been supporting when he spots Megatron leaning through the nearby opening. Starscream is reduced to begging for mercy once more and the Decepticon leader responds with a menacing look.
- Ain't Too Proud to Beg: Starscream really ain't. Bulkhead, however, is.
- And Your Little Dog Too: Starscream menacing Miko For the Evulz, as Bulkhead tries to support the ceiling. (Doesn't stop Bulkhead from kicking Starscream in the face for it.)
- Atlas Pose: Bulkhead. Later Starscream.
- Big Damn Heroes: When Jack pilots the drill into the chamber, he rams it into Starscream and saves Miko.
- Boring Insult: Megatron to Starscream.
- Honor Before Reason: Jack passing up the opportunity to finish a trapped Megatron with the drill. He asserts that Optimus would never do that, which is why he won't.
- Hypocritical Humor: Starscream."Begging for mercy would be quite pathetic, wouldn't it?"
- Load-Bearing Hero: Bulkhead for most of the episode.
- No Man Left Behind: Miko insists on trying to dig out of the cave to save Bulkhead, even though she knows that exerting herself in this way will waste oxygen and diminish her own chances of survival.
- Oblivious Mockery: "If you think I'm gonna beg for mercy, forget it!"
- Oh Crap!: Starscream's expression clearly reads this when he hears Arcee's blaster charging up behind him.
- Papa Wolf: It doesn't matter if Bulkhead has his hands full; you threaten Miko, you're not gonna get away with it.
- "The Reason You Suck" Speech: Megatron to Starscream, after revealing he knows all about his plots."The fact is, Starscream, despite your treachery, I've allowed you to carry on this long because I took a certain delight in following your string of failures. But you've finally become tiresome, predictable. You've hit rock bottom."
- Title Drop: Twice.
- What Would Optimus Prime Do?Jack: No. He wouldn't.
- Villainous Valor: Megatron confronting the possibility of his own death, at the hands of a human of all things, doesn't scare him in the slightest.
- What You Are in the Dark: Most noticably Starscream and Jack. Starscream has a chance to abandon Megatron to death yet again, but concludes that he's just going to survive somehow and he might as well take the chance to get on Megatron's good side. Jack finds Megatron at his mercy while piloting a giant Drill Tank and while Megatron says that Jack may as well finish him now, for glory, Jack knows it's not how Optimus rolls.