Recap: Torchwood S 2 E 3 To The Last Man
Tosh: That's not exactly a war.
Tommy: Looks like one. First year they woke me up... 1919... they told me it was all over. We won. “The war to end all wars,” they said. And then three weeks later, you had the Second World War. After all that... Do you never wonder if we're worth saving? The human race?
: Yes. I think we're worth saving. Wars and all.
— Tosh assures Tommy Brockless humanity is still worth having around
Tommy, a shell-shocked soldier from World War I, is the only hope for repairing a rift in time. So Torchwood freeze him for 90 years, waking him up once a year to check his vitals. Tosh has developed a bit of a crush on him in the four days she's known him.
This year, during his annual walk about town, Tommy finds out that he has to go back to 1918 the next day. Jack allows him to go home with Tosh so they can enjoy one night together. In a rare moment of sincerity, Owen tells Tosh to be careful, because he knows how much it hurts when people head home to their own time again
Ianto and Jack have been dating for a while now
, and they share a sweet kiss when Jack says he doesn't want to go back to the 51st century any more.
Tommy is brought back to 1918 to repair a time gap. He also immediately becomes shell-shocked again. Tosh gets through to him and convinces him to use his time repair device, even though she knows he'll be shot for "cowardice" a few weeks later.
- Downer Ending: Tommy's saved the day, yet he's going to get killed for nothing. And that's not including more than 300 others by Jack's own account.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Tommy goes back in time to repair the rift, even though he knew that he would be sent back to the front and killed.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Going back to his native time period wipes out all of the memories Tommy experienced while being kept under wraps by Torchwood as his timestream falls back into sync. Sadly, that means he will revert to a shell-shocked young soldier fresh from a traumatic ordeal, too frightened to return to the battlefield. And for abandoning his duty to the crown, Tommy will be executed for cowardice.
- Star-Crossed Lovers: Tosh and Tommy exchange a little romance until Tommy has to go back to 1918, permanently cutting them off from each other. Worse, Tommy's future is very grim... and when Gray shows up, Tosh won't fare so well, either.
- The Slow Path: And how! Tommy takes a 90-year journey.
- Timey-Wimey Ball: "This time tomorrow he'll be back in 1918." Uh... huh.
- War Is Hell