- A Day in the Limelight: The episode centers mostly on Brains.
- Cassandra Truth: Brains keeps telling the bridge supervisors their rescue attempts using antiquated equipment will fail. They don't listen.
- Cloudcuckoolander: What the bridge supervisors mistake Brains for, when they see him talking into his watch. Since he's contacting International Rescue, he's actually the Only Sane Man.
- Contrived Coincidence: This episode is full of them. Here, a vehicle is transporting a giant rocket. Fully fuelled. With people inside. And it's set up with an unstoppable automatic launch countdown. And they have to cross a bridge. A bridge that has been weakened by a storm. And the bridge supervisors are idiots. As Gordon notes in "Security Hazard":Gordon: "Who would have thought at the time that an underwater craft would be used to save a martian probe rocket?"
- Go Look at the Distraction: Penelope and Parker blow up some abandoned factories to distract the crowds observing the rescue attempt.
- Happy Dance: Brains does one when the rescue succeeds.
- Hollywood Psych: Brains ends up on the divan for talking to his watch in public. The psych himself looks like Freud.
- Idiot Ball: Firmly held by the elder supervisor throughout the episode.
- Recycled Soundtrack: The Mars rocket theme is recycled from Stingray, an earlier Supermarionation series.
- Shoe Phone
- Spot of Tea
Recap / Thunderbirds S 1 E 6 Day Of Disaster
The One with... the rocket under water.The Mars rocket, fully fuelled and loaded, is being transported to its launch site on the far side of the Allington Bridge. The two astronauts are also inside, already strapped into their launch seats. Alas, despite being within the tolerances of the bridge, the sheer concentrated mass of the rocket causes a catastrophic failure, and the rocket plunges into the water below. While substantially undamaged by the fall, the automatic countdown clock is activated. In thirty minutes, the rockets will fire - and the astronauts will be killed!