Recap / The X-Files S09 E19 "The Truth"
Mulder is caught by the supersoldier Knowle Rohrer accessing classified government documents about the upcoming alien invasion. In the ensuing fight, Rohrer sustains an injury that would have killed a normal human, which Mulder's enemies use as an excuse to put him on trial for murder and discredit him.
Originally aired as a movie-length finale, "The Truth" was edited into two normal-length episodes for syndication. This recap section treats it as two episodes.
Tropes appearing in this episode:
- Back for the Finale: Mulder, Knowle Rohrer, Krycek, X, Marita Covarubias, Jeffrey Spender, Gibson Praise. Some of them are ghosts.
- Courtroom Episode
- I Kiss Your Hand: Mulder to Scully, right after the Reunion Kiss.
- Joker Jury: Mulder is captured by U.S. Marines and put before a show tribunal.
- Obfuscating Insanity: Mulder pretends that the torture has brainwashed him into denouncing his quest and admitting guilt for murder. He keeps it up through his first meeting with Scully and Skinner. As soon as they get him alone, he makes it clear that he doesn't believe it for a second and is keeping up the act to stop being tortured.
- Office Romance: Mulder and Scully's case gets Discussed rather insensitively when one jerk tries to ruin Scully's credibility as a witness.
- Reunion Kiss: When Scully and Skinner finally manage to meet with Mulder alone in his cell, he waits about ten seconds before pulling Scully into a lengthy kiss.
- Stock Episode Titles
- 2 + Torture = 5: After being arrested, prison guards deny Mulder food, water, and sleep and beat him in the hopes of getting an admission of guilt. It doesn't work.