Recap / The X-Files S02 E15 "Fresh Bones"
When a marine employed at a Haitian refugee camp kills himself, his widow calls in the FBI, convinced that his death was no suicide.
- Body Horror: Due to supposed powers of voodoo, the fingers and eventually entire body that hand that pushes through the scratch on Scully's hand which then attacks her.
- Buried Alive: Colonel Wharton is being buried alive at the very end, conscious and panicking.
- Cats Are Magic: Chester Bonaparte, a young Haitian boy, disappears very suddenly near a pier as Mulder is chasing him, a black kitten is seen meowing at the end of the pier. The black kitten appears at the climax of the episode, implying the kitten is Chester.
- Dead All Along: Chester Bonaparte, a boy who befriended Mulder and Scully, is revealed to have been killed a year ago.
- Foreshadowing: The boy who was killed in the riot is mentioned early on. This is a tragic but impertinent detail until his name is mentioned offhandedly at the end.
- Hollywood Voodoo: The basis for this episode's Monster of the Week, but the use of zombie myths and voodoo symbols is quite inspired.
- Punch-Clock Villain: Wharton's aide, who only helps the Colonel because he believes Bauvais killed McAlpin and Gutierrez.
- Title Drop: From Chester, who says that fresh bones (from the graveyard) can be sold for money.
- Voodoo Doll:
- One is apparently used on Mulder at the climax.
- Scully got one as protection from Chester. It's a Chekhov's Gun that truly helps Scully.