Recap: The X Files S 02 E 02 The Host
When Mulder is assigned to investigate a homicide in a New Jersey Sewer, it seems like the latest step in the Humiliation Conga Assistant Director Skinner has lined up for him. Scully insists on doing the autopsy despite Mulder's dismissiveness of the case, and discovers that the corpse is incubating an oversized flukeworm. And when something man-sized but with worm-like teeth attacks a sanitation worker, Mulder starts getting strangely encouraging calls from a mysterious "friend in the FBI", and even Skinner admits that this should have been an X-File. With the future of the X-Files at stake, can Mulder track down a giant bloodsucking worm before it escapes out to sea? And once they've got it, what can the FBI reasonably expect to do with such a creature?
- Absurdly Spacious Sewer
- Big Creepy-Crawlies
- Body Horror: Specifically, the scene of the bitten worker throwing up a flukeworm in the shower.
- The Can Kicked Him: The Flukeman briefly hides in a portajohn
- Enhance Button
- Half the Man He Used to Be: Mulder cuts the Flukeman in two with the gate over a pipe, as it attempts to escape.
- Jump Scare: One of the show's most infamous.
- Lamprey Mouth: repeatedly referred to by its scientific name, "scolex"
- Not Quite Dead
- Nuclear Nasty
- Orifice Evacuation
- The End... Or Is It?: The final shot is that of the bisected Flukeman revealing itself to be alive.
- Toilet Humor: Given it revolves around a monster in a sewer, has some shades of this.