West and Gordon pursue Norbet Plank, murderer and bookkeeper for a crime syndicate, to the town of Epitaph, Colorado, where he expects to be protected by his boss, Diamond Dave Desmond. The agents hope to bring down the syndicate by capturing Plank and forcing him to turn over the organization's records. Working from within and without Desmond's gang, the agents do finally manage to get hold of Plank, but getting into Epitaph proves to be a whole lot easier than getting out again.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Affectionate Pickpocket: Artie does this to a guy performing a Neck Lift on him.
- Bad Habits: Artie poses as a Con Man posing as a preacher. (Got that?)
- Chandelier Swing: James West does this during a bar brawl.
- Femme Fatale: Rhoda Ransom, who works for Desmond but isn't above double-crossing him just a bit if it suits her own interests. She captures and then betrays Jim when the agent refuses to help her.
- Kavorka Man: Apparently, Norbert Plank.
- One Last Smoke: Artie, who is about to be executed by the gang, asks for one. He then uses it to set off the fireworks hidden in his cart.
- Photographic Memory: Norbert Plank has one. He keeps all of the syndicate's records in his head as a form of life insurance.
- Town with a Dark Secret: Epitaph is basically owned by the syndicate.