West and Gordon travel to Hayes City where Dr. Loveless is laid out in state, apparently shot while robbing the local bank. A small war promptly develops between the agents, a woman named Triste and a man named Deuce as they follow a trail of clues Loveless left behind. West soon finds himself roped into acting as Loveless' executor and protecting Dr. Werner Otto Liebnicht, who is introduced as Loveless' uncle, in exchange for certain incriminating documents; Gordon, meanwhile, works on getting to the bottom of things through lovely, treacherous Triste.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Bedlam House: Subverted with Dr. Liebnicht's Sanitorium. On the surface, it appears to be a picture perfect example of the trope, but there are no patients, and all the sounds of cackling and howling are just recordings.
- Faking the Dead: Loveless, to pretty much no one's surprise.
- Idiot Ball: Really, Jim? You were completely convinced that Liebnicht couldn't possibly be Loveless? That plot point's not even worth spoiler tags, it's so obvious.
- Meaningful Name: Liebnicht. No points for guessing what that roughly translates to in English.
- Strapped to an Operating Table: Loveless gets Jim in this position near the end of the episode. In fact, they're in the middle of an actual operating theater full of actual doctors - and Loveless intends to perform a very actual brain operation...
- Uncanny Family Resemblance: Dr. Loveless's uncle Dr. Liebnicht. Except not, since it turns out he's just Loveless in Wig, Dress, Accent mode.