West arrives at Fort Savage just ahead of an angry group of Iroquois. The fort's commanding officer, Major Jason, has dispatched a report about operations in the area by a Canadian revolutionary named Sean O’Reilley. However, West finds that the fort is already under O’Reilley's control and that the rebel is being assisted by Vixen O’Shaugnessy, a senator's daughter who had been reported kidnapped. West manages to prevent the fort from being blown up while Gordon sets about infiltrating the revolutionary group; together they work to foil O’Reilley's plans, which they must do within 48 hours if they want to prevent a massacre.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Explain, Explain... Oh, Crap!: In the opening, Jim gives the commanding officer a description of O'Reilley... and then realizes that the description matches the "officer" perfectly. At which point O'Reilley drops the disguise.
- Fighting Irish: Sean O'Reilley, Vixen O'Shaughnessy, and their men are all quite fond of a good brawl.
- Ooh, Me Accent's Slipping:
- Pernell Roberts as supposed Irishman Sean O'Reilley. He ends up giving listeners a linguistic tour of the British Isles, with occasional quick stops back in his native Georgia.
- An intentional example in the teaser - when O'Reilley is pretending to be Major Jason and he's putting on an American accent, he reverts to Irish when the man shaving him almost cuts him ("Watch it Crocker, ye blasted butcher!").
- Race Against the Clock: O’Reilley takes all the ammunition from the fort with him, leaving the soldiers there defenseless against the hostile Iroquois and Black Feet. Major Jason tells West that the tribes will meet in two days to join forces and attack the fort; if the agents can't get the ammo back by then, the soldiers will be slaughtered.
- Silly Rabbit, Idealism Is for Kids!: Seems to be the message of the episode. Vixen is painted as a wide-eyed idealist who has to be brought back to reality; on the other hand, her ideals aren't exactly of the highest, so ridding her of them may not be such a bad idea...
- Wide-Eyed Idealist: Vixen is very young and very enthusiastic about her ideals, which supposedly involve "relieving the downtrodden" and suchlike. She's willing and eager to die for them - and also quite willing to kill. She's even okay with letting women and children be massacred. Jim calls her out on this hypocrisy.
- Wouldn't Hit a Girl: Subverted. Jim uses an Expy of the Vulcan nerve pinch whenever Vixen is getting above herself, so no prizes for guessing what leads to the final freezeframe in the upper right hand corner above.