Recap: The Wild Wild West S 3 E 20 The Night Of The Death Masks
In Como Creek, Nevada, West rescues a young woman who is being annoyed by a group of cavalry officers. She introduces herself as the daughter of the Superintendent of the San Francisco Mint and recalls how, five years ago, West and Gordon thwarted an attack on the Mint by Emmet Stark and his gang. West and the young woman board the stage, but she get off again on a pretext and West quickly finds himself being abducted. After waking up from gas-induced unconsciousness, he finds himself in strange clothes and in a strange, apparently abandoned town called Paradox, where very strange things begin to happen. Gordon, meanwhile, in Virginia City, is informed that Stark has just escaped from prison and is probably out to fulfill the vow of vengeance which he made five years ago...
Tropes present in this episode:
- Heroic BSOD: The villain tries to induce one in Jim by tricking him into killing Artie.
- Malevolent Masked Men: All of the villain's Mooks wear masks in the shape of his face.
- Massive Multiplayer Scam: The only character that Jim interacts with in the entire episode who isn't in on the plot against him is Artie.
- Mexican Standoff: Occurs near the end, with the agents and the villains holding each other at gunpoint. It's even called one.
- Only a Flesh Wound: Some attempts at averting this trope are made when it comes to Jim's leg wound; it's clearly painful and somewhat debilitating. Artie's is treated much more lightly, but at least he and Jim are both shown to be limping back on the train afterwards.