A number of strange things begin happening to West and he flies off the handle, leading to his dismissal from the Secret Service. He is soon recruited by a mysterious gang led by Elisha Calamander. They engineered the events leading up to West's dismissal in the hope that he would eventually join them and perform a particular, very difficult task. They are unaware that West and Gordon have been playing along the entire time in order to find out what that task is and prevent it from being carried out.
Tropes present in this episode:
- The Corrupter: Elisha Calamander. The plan is to discredit Jim in the eyes of the Secret Service, get him fired and then lure him with offers of money and revenge into doing Calamander's bidding.
- Delivery Guy Infiltration: Artie poses as a mail carrier in order to get inside the place where the MacGuffin is being hidden.
- Fat Bastard: Elisha Calamander, of the greedy, hedonistic, evil variety.
- Idiot Ball: Elisha Calamander hires Jim to steal a vial of "kilesium" without telling him that's what it is. Calamander obviously knows what it is, but somehow doesn't know that it gives off a deadly gas when it heats up...
- Massive Multiplayer Scam: The efforts to discredit West involve various elaborate cons run by multiple members of Calamander's gang.
- Public Secret Message: Jim passes information on to Artie by doodling on a restaurant menu. The doodles are actually a secret code.
- Super Dickery: Jim's actions include shooting an unarmed man, attacking a preacher, physically and mentally abusing his fiancée and, to top it all off, punching Artie. Apparently.
- Verbal Tic: Elisha Calamander’s habit of saying “one would” instead of “I do.” Naturally, West snarks him for it.
- We Were Rehearsing a Play: Jim causes a public disturbance and Artie passes it off as a scene from a play which their "troupe" is about to premiere elsewhere in town.
- Wicked Cultured: Elisha Calamander, who is extremely fond of the finer things in life and doesn't care how he gets them.