Recap: The Wild Wild West S 1 E 3 The Night The Wizard Shook The Earth
West and Gordon have their first encounter with the brilliant but evil dwarf, Dr. Miguelito Loveless, along with the doctor's two assistants, the lovely Antoinette and the mute and simple-minded giant, Voltaire. Dr. Loveless is planning to take over California, which he claims rightfully belongs to him.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Voltaire and Dr. Loveless.
- Breakout Villain: The episode ends with Loveless' capture, with nothing to suggest we'd ever see him again, let alone that he'd become West's archenemy...except Loveless is just that awesome.
- Dumb Muscle: Voltaire.
- It Will Never Catch On: Apparently Loveless has invented some kind of primitive cathode ray tube and is in the process of developing television. Artie thinks the whole idea is ridiculous.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Jim needs to impersonate a professor whose life is in danger, so he puts on a pair of glasses. Disguise complete. It doesn't work.
- Villainous Breakdown: Loveless has one for the only time, after Jim stops him and he's stranded on the pendulum.
- Weaponized Coach: Jim acquires a specially-modified horse-drawn carriage from Artie. It comes complete with secret compartments and levers which do various unpleasant things to unwanted occupants.