West and Gordon have their first encounter with the brilliant but evil dwarf, Dr. Miguelito Loveless, along with the doctor's two assistants, the lovely Antoinette and the mute and simple-minded giant, Voltaire. Dr. Loveless is planning to take over California, which he claims rightfully belongs to him.
Tropes present in this episode:
- Big Guy, Little Guy: Voltaire and Dr. Loveless.
- Breakout Villain: The episode ends with Loveless' capture, with nothing to suggest we'd ever see him again, let alone that he'd become West's archenemy...except Loveless is just that awesome.
- Dumb Muscle: Voltaire.
- It Will Never Catch On: Apparently Loveless has invented some kind of primitive cathode ray tube and is in the process of developing television. Artie thinks the whole idea is ridiculous.
- Paper-Thin Disguise: Jim needs to impersonate a professor whose life is in danger, so he puts on a pair of glasses. Disguise complete. It doesn't work.
- Villainous Breakdown: Loveless has one for the only time, after Jim stops him and he's stranded on the pendulum.
- Weaponized Coach: Jim acquires a specially-modified horse-drawn carriage from Artie. It comes complete with secret compartments and levers which do various unpleasant things to unwanted occupants.